Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You CAN vote if you will be a Citizen by polling day

You CAN vote if you will be a Citizen by polling day

Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:40 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation You CAN vote if you will be a Citizen by polling day

But you need to have provisionally enrolled by 20.00 hrs on Thursday 22nd July.

Okay. I went to my office this afternoon to check phone messages.

There was a message from the AEC telling me that if I wanted to vote I needed to register by 22.00 hrs Monday.

"That's funny", I thought - I'm not a citizen yet, so why are they telling me?

So I phoned them. 13 23 26

Spoke to a gentleman about my circumstances which are: Test passed on 21st June 2010, citizenship ceremony is 3rd August 2010. Therefore I will be a citizen on voting/polling day. (There is a still a question mark in law about whether or not I am obliged to vote - another long conversation) More later*

He told me that there was a provisonal enrolment form on their website. I couldn't find it.

So, I called them back, got another operator who said that the first info I got was wrong.

Had more thinks and called back again and basically said I wasn't going to get off the phone until I had a proper, satisfactory answer. This latest operator was fantastic. She dug and dug and guess what? They had been issued with two information slips which contain conflicting information but she did read out this: If you will be an Australian Citizen by voting day, you have until 8.00 pm on Thursday 22nd July to provisionally enrol and you will be able to vote.

Then she couldn't find the form either. She put me on hold and came back with this. This is is link page:

http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_v...ion-called.htm

That is the info page. This is the form: http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_v...16pew-1009.pdf

Please see points a, b and c at top left of form.

Okay, so if you want to vote you can, although you'll need to hurry. You can find your local area AEC office fax number here:
http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Cont..._AEC/index.htm

You need to scroll down slightly to a "FIND" button.

Stick your postcode in, this will give you local office details including fax number.

*IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VOTE - DO NOT REGISTER. If you don't register, you won't be required to vote. If you DO REGISTER, you WILL be required to vote.

I hope this is of service to all those in this interim citizenship situation (and all others of course!)

Alistair.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 20th 2010 at 3:16 pm. Reason: creating sticky thread
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You CAN vote if you will be a Citizen by polling day

Excellent info - I assume this would've been in effect last time as well but no-one came up with it then.

I'll sticky it in both forums for the next few days for anyone interested - if you want to comment please do so on the thread in the Immi forum as the one in Lifestyle will be closed.