Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Yes, 2nd hand cars are more expensive here but.......

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Which I think are part of the same group as Hyundai, another marque I would avoid!
I quite like my Hyundai...

Just checked the costs, from a post in 2005:
In 2005 I bought a 2001 Hyundai Grandeur. Redbook value: average price - private sale $11,600 - $14,000 (Prices based on 50,000 - 80,000 km)

I paid $10,900 + "a trade in" that was really worth maybe $1,500. So, $12,400 actual cost. (It had 82k on the clock)
It had an asking price of over $15,000, but everything here is negotiable.
Current redbook values:
Private Price Guide $6,200 - $7,800
Average Km 140,000 - 230,000

About a 50% drop in value over 5 years.

Old Oct 4th 2010, 12:10 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

When comparing Australian s/h prices with UK ones, you have to remember that there is no need in Oz to spread salt on the roads every year so older cars here are far less likely to have serious rust problems. We sold a 20yo BMW 318i for $5000 last year and the body was perfect - it was just starting to cost too much in mechanical repairs.

If you need spares though, be prepared to buy them overseas. I have a Jeep and when I needed a new clutch recently it was cheaper (and quicker!) for me to buy it from a dealer in Hull and have it flown out than to buy it from the local Jeep dealer.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
When comparing Australian s/h prices with UK ones, you have to remember that there is no need in Oz to spread salt on the roads every year so older cars here are far less likely to have serious rust problems. .
I don't know a lot about cars but I'm never convinced by this argument.

Firstly, do cars actually rust these days? A member of my family drives a 15 year old Toyota in the UK - no rust at all.

Secondly, I live 10kms from the sea here. In the UK I lived about 130kms from the sea. Surely there'd be more salt in the air for most of the population in Australia then there would in the UK?

I wonder sometimes whether some things are more expensive in Australia just because the population is accustomed to it and new entrants to the market see the abnormal profits to be made and refuse to lower prices.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Firstly, do cars actually rust these days? A member of my family drives a 15 year old Toyota in the UK - no rust at all.

Secondly, I live 10kms from the sea here. In the UK I lived about 130kms from the sea. Surely there'd be more salt in the air for most of the population in Australia then there would in the UK?

I wonder sometimes whether some things are more expensive in Australia just because the population is accustomed to it and new entrants to the market see the abnormal profits to be made and refuse to lower prices.
A lot of modern cars are very well protected against rust and if they are cleaned properly won't have a problem.

I think salt air is only a problem if you live right next to the sea - I'm not sure of the distance but pobably only a few kms at most.

Agree with your last statement. A lot of things (but not all) are more expensive here because people accept this and don't complain or bargain - Aussies have been conditioned to being ripped off. I'm hoping that the new WA retail laws are going to put a lot of Australia's beloved, yet often crap, small retailers out of business. I will piss myself when the first IGA goes under.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm hoping that the new WA retail laws are going to put a lot of Australia's beloved, yet often crap, small retailers out of business. I will piss myself when the first IGA goes under.
Me too.
My current hang-up is the "Local Heroes" ad campaign for money-grabbing, hypocritical rip-off merchants that are IGA owners.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.
My current hang-up is the "Local Heroes" ad campaign for money-grabbing, hypocritical rip-off merchants that are IGA owners.
Who make out that they are small independent retailers yet are actually owned by a billion $ South African mob.

Wankers.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A lot of modern cars are very well protected against rust and if they are cleaned properly won't have a problem.

I think salt air is only a problem if you live right next to the sea - I'm not sure of the distance but pobably only a few kms at most.
Rust does seem to effect older cars. Depends how people care for them too. But there is no doubt in my mind that salt f**cks cars and salt on the road can't help. Take a 4x4 rental into the surf and drive along and you will lose your deposit - and they claim to know on inspection as soon as you get back. I'd prefer to take my chances with sea-air on the coast.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
That's probably it, in the UK the Land Rover was about £30k new, over here the same car is about 65-70k and thats the comparison I was doing, I just compared the Subaru I bought and its about the same price in the UK.
Doesn't that make the land rover around the same price?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Doesn't that make the land rover around the same price?
£30k is currently about $48k, even at an exchange rate of 2:1, (which it hasn't been for a while) its only $60k.

There are some big variations even in Japanese cars, I was thinking of an MX5 as a 2nd car for Mrs Freebo

Aus MX5 Roadster = $51,000 or $31,000 ($25.5 at 2:1)
UK -------"------- = £20.750 or $34,000 ($41.5 at 2:1)

So a the Aus bought one is $17,000 or 50% more expensive - or have I got this wrong? The prices don't match until the exchange rate hits about 2.5:1

You have to wonder if the current strong dollar would make the dealers more prone to discount, especially for European and American cars.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

You have to try to stop comparing the prices of similar models between UK and Oz, first the spec can be quite different, second, the body will be in much better condition due to a better climate.
To get a better idea, compere the price against your annual salary, if you earn £30000 and buy a £10000 car its a third, so in Oz you earn say $80000, a third would be about $26500 if you spent a similar proportion of your money on a car.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
£30k is currently about $48k, even at an exchange rate of 2:1, (which it hasn't been for a while) its only $60k.

There are some big variations even in Japanese cars, I was thinking of an MX5 as a 2nd car for Mrs Freebo

Aus MX5 Roadster = $51,000 or $31,000 ($25.5 at 2:1)
UK -------"------- = £20.750 or $34,000 ($41.5 at 2:1)

So a the Aus bought one is $17,000 or 50% more expensive - or have I got this wrong? The prices don't match until the exchange rate hits about 2.5:1

You have to wonder if the current strong dollar would make the dealers more prone to discount, especially for European and American cars.
But the exchange rate isn't the right way to compare is it? It fluctuates all the time and so does not reflect the true cost to someone earning local salary.

I thought you divided the cost into the average salary to get the true comparison.

I think the experts on here said that "currently" meant multiplying the cost in the UK by 2.2 to get the Australian cost?

I do think luxury cars are dear here due to the luxury import tax.

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 5th 2010 at 2:36 am.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
You have to try to stop comparing the prices of similar models between UK and Oz, first the spec can be quite different, second, the body will be in much better condition due to a better climate.
What better climate? If it's not faded and burnt to a crisp by the sun then the hail stones will get it. Older cars apear to be better here becuase they have been bodged up to get a better price, in the UK they are just scrapped.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
What better climate? If it's not faded and burnt to a crisp by the sun then the hail stones will get it. Older cars apear to be better here becuase they have been bodged up to get a better price, in the UK they are just scrapped.

Who scraps cars in the UK? They get parked on the roads or in parking lots or driveways or anywhere and just left there.

Too expensive to scrap them! DVLA won't collect them and destroy them unless it's owing road tax. It's like 3D graffiti.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
But the exchange rate isn't the right way to compare is it? It fluctuates all the time and so does not reflect the true cost to someone earning local salary.

I thought you divided the cost into the average salary to get the true comparison.

I think the experts on here said that "currently" meant multiplying the cost in the UK by 2.2 to get the Australian cost?

I do think luxury cars are dear here due to the luxury import tax.
Originally Posted by australianinleicester
To get a better idea, compere the price against your annual salary, if you earn £30000 and buy a £10000 car its a third, so in Oz you earn say $80000, a third would be about $26500 if you spent a similar proportion of your money on a car.
I've been saying this for years...of course, if your income is highly variable this makes it harder to analyse - but on a car loan or repayments you can work out the hardship..
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sceptical of that argument as well.

I live fairly close to the sea. What I have noticed here is that if you leave things out they rust quickly but if you keep them under cover they don't (less so than if they were under cover in UK).