Yanchep

Old Mar 25th 2018, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yanchep

Anyone know what kind of people, are being attracted to the area?

I was up there today and it seems every developer in WA has their meaty paws on land there and is showcasing new subdivisions.

I am not in Perth very often but am here tonight, for a meeting tomorrow. When I am in town I always like to go up there, Yanchep Lagoon is my favourite place in the Perth Metro to swim (though, I didn't swim today, sea was too choppy) and then I like to go to the national park after to see the koalas, before heading back into town to do whatever it is I need to do.

A former line manager of mine (very, very senior) retired to Yanchep a few years ago. I like the place but it does give off a vibe of "enjoy it now, because in 5-10 years it will be a hellish concrete jungle." I know most farmers etc who retire to that stretch of coast, usually from the Mid West or Central/Northern Wheatbelt, prefer it a bit further north around Lancelin.

I am hoping the Yanchep buyers are mostly Perth second-homers or investors, so at least those properties will only be occupied 30% of the year, like down in Yallingup and Dunsborough and the place won't be overrun with people. Seems to me the distance from the CBD would deter most of those looking at it as a place for a primary home. Though I suppose it could be attractive if a couple were working in Joondalup.

Anybody want to comment, who knows the area particularly well?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 11:19 am
Just Joined

dxboz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yanchep

Don't know Yanchep that well - only know a friend who lives there - it is a place for first home buyers - affordable but miles away from the city. Will it be a concrete jungle in 10 years - couldn't in my wildest dreams think that - it will still be a low income family place too far from the city. Attracting investors? I wouldn't think so. Wouldn't think second home buyers would look at the place either - too far from the city and infrastructure. In my view it will continue to attract young families who cannot afford to buy closer to the city - hope this helps

Last edited by dxboz; Mar 25th 2018 at 11:28 am.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 11:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Anyone know what kind of people, are being attracted to the area?

I was up there today and it seems every developer in WA has their meaty paws on land there and is showcasing new subdivisions.

I am not in Perth very often but am here tonight, for a meeting tomorrow. When I am in town I always like to go up there, Yanchep Lagoon is my favourite place in the Perth Metro to swim (though, I didn't swim today, sea was too choppy) and then I like to go to the national park after to see the koalas, before heading back into town to do whatever it is I need to do.

A former line manager of mine (very, very senior) retired to Yanchep a few years ago. I like the place but it does give off a vibe of "enjoy it now, because in 5-10 years it will be a hellish concrete jungle." I know most farmers etc who retire to that stretch of coast, usually from the Mid West or Central/Northern Wheatbelt, prefer it a bit further north around Lancelin.

I am hoping the Yanchep buyers are mostly Perth second-homers or investors, so at least those properties will only be occupied 30% of the year, like down in Yallingup and Dunsborough and the place won't be overrun with people. Seems to me the distance from the CBD would deter most of those looking at it as a place for a primary home. Though I suppose it could be attractive if a couple were working in Joondalup.

Anybody want to comment, who knows the area particularly well?
My partner used to live there before we shacked up and bought a house very slightly south of Yanchep.

Alkimos/Eglinton is set to be the next major suburb - like Joondalup - so Yanchep will be a suburb of the new city. There is going to be a uni, (I think) a hospital, shopping centres, etc there. The train line is in the works now, so it will be less than 60 minutes to the city.

We're in legoland but it's a means to an end for us. I can walk to the station and my partner works 6 minutes away. The lifestyle suits us for the next couple of years but others love it and never want to leave the area.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for those replies.

Reading up on the things Dorothy highlighted - wow! I hadn't realised Yanchep has doubled in population since 2011. Or, that Alan Bond had previously been involved in trying to develop it.

It seems they are banking heavily on the Metronet Line, and that the urban plan is modeled after Busselton's in some ways. If successful that's probably a good model to emulate - one of the things I really like about Busselton is how, despite growing by leaps and bounds, even at peak times of the year it's never difficult to find a parking spot close to attractions or a relatively isolated patch of beach.

Yanchep is nice and I hope uncontrolled growth doesn't ruin it.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yanchep is nice and I hope uncontrolled growth doesn't ruin it.
Unfortunately I think that's already happening. When we lived in Alkimos we lived in a sand pit. Driving up Marmion I'm sure you saw that there's very little natural vegetation left and there's just simply nowhere for the wildlife to go anymore. The poor emus that used to live long Marmion between Trinity estate and Shorehaven are regularly seen trying to get through the fencing the developers have put up along the road. There's snakes (quite a few of them) regularly in Shorehaven (that's the northern end of Alkimos where the shipwreck is).

I know that it's all progress, but there are so many places that have been cleared that sit vacant I don't know why or how developers need to clear anything else before the vacant blocks are built and occupied.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Too dissolute and looking at some of the houses, probably attracting a certain sort more than a preferable cross section.
I had the feeling of a lot of domestic violence or other up there from a few broken fittings and other observations. May well be not more than elsewhere of course, but it was a comment I made while walking/driving around the area.

I too though rather enjoy swimming there, on the few occasions travel so far. But it would require a lot more than the beach to entice me up there.
There are big plans afoot though as Perth's outer population increases being more affordable, but how much gets off the blocks, and the actual time frame remains to be seen. I've seen too many expensive laid out plans with regards development in this state to take much too seriously.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all for your replies. I don't know much about Perth so it was enlightening to hear all this.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree although we have not seen Yanchep since Jan 2010, way before then we looked at land in Mindarie, we did not find anything we found suitable and was told of a development which was only just starting further up the marmion called Butler, they were just clearing the land for the road to continue and we had to stop and walk to the sales office, we did put a deposit on a large block of land but we "back out" a couple of days later as driving back towards Perth it felt like a million miles away lol and we also another reason of which we were only told of the next day. We also liked Mindarie and Iluka but we did not want to live there and would not live past Karrinyup and at the end of the day (our own personnel taste) we preferred "South of the River". We did visit Yanchep quite often when family visited and ventured further afield on days out but we stopped heading "north" and stayed mainly south of WA for holidays.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It was a sand pit when Bond purchased the land with high development expectations back in the seventies. No idea how it became 'sustainable' to the degree it became.

I think with the over inflated value still in Perth metro prices generally, an ever increasing number of people will have increasingly limited choice price wise to move closer. Besides the proximity to the beach will entice newly arrived especially from UK, whom may well be oblivious to other factors in early stages.
Others of course may prefer remote. Each to their own. Always good to have both sides though .....