Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Some excerpts from this book, painstakingly copied out by myself during a marathon typing session this evening:

Excerpts removed
I own this book myself, and would recommend it to anyone.

Vash, we appreciate the effort you made in typing all this, but copyright laws don't allow that kind of posting directly onto the site.
Sorry
Pollyana

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 30th 2006 at 11:17 am. Reason: Copyright laws
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post this Vash. You are obviously stereotypically eccentric

Cheers

Buzzy

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 30th 2006 at 11:15 am.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Some excerpts from this book, painstakingly copied out by myself during a marathon typing session this evening:
I love that Sums up Australians to me Loved the bit[QUOTE ]Nothing is sacrosanct. An Aussie introduced his frail, 60-year-old mother who had limited vision, with the remark: "This is me mum, she don't look so good."[/QUOTE] my sort of humour.
I will attempt to send K but imagine I will get the spreading message so you may have to imagine it
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:53 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

You have the patience of a saint Vash if you sat down and typed all this out! Thanks for bothering as it was very entertaining!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:08 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

hi vash thanks for that ...the mother in law who lives on the gold coast bought me that book when i went to visit in 2003 ..... love the bit about the national dish being meat pies and 50,000,000 flies can't be wrong lol
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:33 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great vash but the bit on work and holidays etc might need updating in light of the new IR laws also, aussies DO tend to over focus and equally salivate at the though of money, power and status. They might cut down 'tall poppies' but in another sense seem to aspire to be one themselves.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 30th 2006 at 11:16 am.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:05 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Originally Posted by Pollyanna

Excerpts removed

Vash, we appreciate the effort you made in typing all this, but copyright laws don't allow that kind of posting directly onto the site.
Sorry
Pollyana

Ooops, you're right - I completely forgot about it!

Sorry folks - and sorry, Pollyanna!

For those who managed to read it before it was edited out - I hope you found it informative.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops, you're right - I completely forgot about it!

Sorry folks - and sorry, Pollyanna!

For those who managed to read it before it was edited out - I hope you found it informative.

I did. It was a good read.

I do think I must be Australian, cos most of it sounded just like me
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thank you for taking the trouble to post this Vash. You are obviously stereotypically eccentric

Cheers

Buzzy
Yeah, that's what my mother says too.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by WendyC
I did. It was a good read.

I do think I must be Australian, cos most of it sounded just like me
For some reason, that doesn't surprise me.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies.

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Sounds great vash but the bit on work and holidays etc might need updating in light of the new IR laws
I wasn't aware that the new IR laws were aimed at reducing our holidays. Is that what you're saying?

also aussies DO tend to over focus and equally salivate at the though of money, power and status.
Everyone salivates at the thought of money, power and status - that's human nature.

The point that this book makes is that - unlike some other nations - money, power and status are not held up in Australian society as the be-all and end-all of a person's existence, or even as the only goals to which a person should aspire.

They might cut down 'tall poppies' but in another sense seem to aspire to be one themselves.
Yes, Australians have aspirations - and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for the infamous "Tall Poppy Syndrome", in which anyone successful is allegedly scorned, derided and generally snubbed... well, I take a skeptical view on this subject. I don't actually believe it exists - at least, not in the form of the popularly accepted definition.

Contrary to popular myth, Aussies do appreciate achievers. They admire, respect and support other Australians who do well; heck, they even admire, respect and support Australians who fail, provided that enough effort was put into the attempt!

What Australians don't appreciate is people who let their success go to their heads. People who thrive on publicity, and look down on others after achieving the goals that they worked for, are (justifiably IMHO) cut down to size.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

As for the infamous "Tall Poppy Syndrome", in which anyone successful is allegedly scorned, derided and generally snubbed... well, I take a skeptical view on this subject. I don't actually believe it exists - at least, not in the form of the popularly accepted definition.
Alive and well in the UK. Build 'em up ... and knock 'em down ... the self-perpetuating cry of the British media...
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:30 pm
Fighting my corner

If you're looking for an excellent overview of Aussie culture, history and society, Convict Creations is arguably the best place to start. (It also has an excellent "Yanks/Aussies" comparison page, for those interested in the differences and similarities of both nations.)

For a more detailed analysis of the Australian psyche (with particular reference to social attitudes) click here.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 30th 2006 at 6:36 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:54 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

My mum bought it for my hubby (Sir Les) - it is very funny!

Excerpts removed

I own this book myself, and would recommend it to anyone.

Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to popular myth, Aussies do appreciate achievers. They admire, respect and support other Australians who do well; heck, they even admire, respect and support Australians who fail, provided that enough effort was put into the attempt!

What Australians don't appreciate is people who let their success go to their heads. People who thrive on publicity, and look down on others after achieving the goals that they worked for, are (justifiably IMHO) cut down to size.
Bang on the money. Vash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.