Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Old May 18th 2008, 12:43 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
Let me guess...you were in Perth. Actually, as subjective as we all are, comments like this amaze me-Yob culutre is so obviously more apparent and more depraved in the UK-I just can't understand this.
I think the desire for a cheap house perhaps got in the way-vast swathes of Australia are just sooo middle-class. Australians so aspirational-yobs are dying out here-while in the UK they are on the rise. You might have ended up in a last bastion type place.
OK. You need to take more
Old May 18th 2008, 12:44 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Let me guess...you were in Perth. Actually, as subjective as we all are, comments like this amaze me-Yob culutre is so obviously more apparent and more depraved in the UK-I just can't understand this.
I think the desire for a cheap house perhaps got in the way-vast swathes of Australia are just sooo middle-class. Australians so aspirational-yobs are dying out here-while in the UK they are on the rise. You might have ended up in a last bastion type place.
Blimey you've replied to my post 4 times to respond to some of your comments.....

The fact is just because you think the UK has more yob culture does not actually make it true - it is your opinion - in my opinion crime and yob culture is no better in Australia than it is in the UK.

Yes we lived in Perth but I have also spent many months travelling around Sydney, Melbourne and Brissy.

We actually lived in a very 'good' suburb in perth - Como - my experience of the crime etc had nothing to do with the kind of suburb I was living in. It was a general observation of what I found in shops, bars, schools etc - in other words, everyday life.

Remember just because YOU have an opinion on something - that doesn't make it fact.
Old May 18th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
In fact that is making me rethink. My OH's qualifications aren't recognised in Australia and I'm now worried we will struggle financially. he will either have to get a low paid job or spend a couple of years retraining.
I know money isn't everything but if we are struggling that won't improve our quality of life so we have a lot of thinking to do.
Money is everything. If you don't have enough of it your quality of life will definately suffer. Ignore the "Aussie lifestyle" talk, the basics are you need a high wage here to enjoy a reasonable life.
As for the weather...for me the autumn and winter is the best time of year. Sunny days with cool nights. Spring brings out the flies and hayfever, summer is too hot.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:20 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

I disagree. CRIME - It depends on where you live in either country. There are plenty of places where crime is NOT an issue. But even the quietest little suburb or village has its moments. There are plenty of crime stats for both countries, research them and move somewhere where there is less. As for City life it is all relative to what you like. If you're into night clubs then Aussie generally is not for you. If you like getting up at 6:00am and heading for the beach to surf - well ................. Australia is for people who love the outdoors. If you're a lover of cathedrals and castles then its not for you.

It's half way round the world and there is NO comparison. The people, the culture, the work ethic, the way of life have all evolved independantly of the UK and as a result are different. If people are looking for more of the same only cheaper then forget it. Australia is developing at a massive rate and the economy reflects that.

Originally Posted by pommybird
I'm glad you like Australia but the fact is that some of us actually believe we have a better quality of life in the UK - it's horses for courses - I found city life very dull in Oz in comparison to the UK.

In answer to Rabsody's question yes we would have still tried Oz as our primary motive for moving there was the belief it could offer our children a safer, more secure environment and a 'better way of life' - my experience was that in fact Oz did not offer any of this for our family - crime and the 'yob factor' was on par, education was IMO poor and the cost and standard of health care concerning.

Having tried Australia I much prefer life here in the UK as countless others do - IN MY OPINION if you emigrate to Australia for the adventure and the chance to try a DIFFERENT life then I'm sure you'll have a great time - if you emigrate to escape the crime and depravity of the UK then I'm afraid you are going to be sorely disappointed with what you find in Australia.
Old May 23rd 2008, 8:31 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

And if you think money and the pursuit of it really is everything ~ then you've come to the wrong forum. Try the USA where the green back os GOD. You see the Australians have already worked it out. Money is NOT everything. A family can spend all day at the school playing fields watching their kids go through one tournament or another for next to no money. You can buy a kid a body or surfboard and take him to the local surf beach and he / she will spend ALL day in the water (free) etc etc etc.

I earn a THIRD of my UK salary and I have NO wish to return to kind of pressured work environment that I came from. I have no wish at all to return to the UK. I moved out of choice and I don't care that I have less money because somehow I have more of it at the end of the month!
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellibaby
And if you think money and the pursuit of it really is everything ~ then you've come to the wrong forum. Try the USA where the green back os GOD. You see the Australians have already worked it out. Money is NOT everything. A family can spend all day at the school playing fields watching their kids go through one tournament or another for next to no money. You can buy a kid a body or surfboard and take him to the local surf beach and he / she will spend ALL day in the water (free) etc etc etc.
Is that why Australia has the second longest working hours in the OECD? I think only Japan are ahead.
Old May 24th 2008, 7:00 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

and your point is what?

Originally Posted by rabsody
Is that why Australia has the second longest working hours in the OECD? I think only Japan are ahead.
Old May 24th 2008, 10:38 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

and your point is what?
People in Aus work harder, not smarter
Old May 24th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

and your point is what?
The point is you seem to be substantiating the stereotype of families spending afternoons surfing at the beach and everyone knocking off work at 3pm whereas the reality is everyone seems to work very bloody hard here! I don't doubt that is the case for some, but for those who are not here yet I feel it necessary to show both sides of the coin.

Australia is a highly aspirational society (not saying that is right or wrong) but in my experience they are as equally concerned about money, getting it and keeping it, as every other 'western' country.
Old May 24th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey...where do you live hippyboy? Everybody ignores each other where I live!!!! I'd like Australia if I could get a bit of smalltalk....I do get a few monosyllabic grunts when I try to chat to people in Coles though!

I like the vibe, the atitudes, the rythym of life here, the small talk about nonsense over the garden fence-the clubs, the beach, the bush, the wildlife.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
We came to Aus because of the weather and the lifestyle the good weather provides. That's why we also chose Brisbane

We had a great life in UK in terms of jobs, place we lived, holidays, cars blah, blah, blah. There was no push to leave UK except the weather. It made us miserable. We would go on holidays at every opportunity to get away from it. We realised we were chasing a different lifestyle and it's not always about money. Grey skies, snow, slush, fog, rain, rain, rain...eughhh

We came because the weather is absolutely bloody fantastic in Aus and the wildlife is second to none. Blue skies, sun, blue skies, sun. Yep, suits us to a "T"

So to answer your question: Nope, we wouldn't have made the move to Aus if the weather was the same as UK.
I could have wrote this!!!
Old May 24th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

You see the Australians have already worked it out. Money is NOT everything.
I totally disagree

Everybody is 'on the make' here and they're not afraid to let you know about it either.

There are so many small-time fat cats and get rich schemes that quite frankly it's embarrassing.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by tictac
I totally disagree

Everybody is 'on the make' here and they're not afraid to let you know about it either.

There are so many small-time fat cats and get rich schemes that quite frankly it's embarrassing.
I agree with this. There are more sharks out of the water than in it but the thing is, you don't have to be one of them or let money rule your life

Yep, Australia is as consumerist as anywhere else in the world.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Cookster
I could have wrote this!!!
Cheers. Saved you a job then hey