Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Old May 17th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Trying living in Scotland when you say the weather aint that bad in the UK. P1ssing rain 364 days a year then one day of 18hr sunshine and whole country drinks gallons of alcohol and rolls around in parks half naked trying to get skin cancer. If its not the weather what are the other reasons for going to Australia - everything is more expensive the price of cars are mind boggling but the wages are lower in some cases a lot lower?
Old May 17th 2008, 10:12 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by vanessandave
Is there a way of blocking out a particular posters posts???
You can add her to your "Ignore" list.

Just go to your control panel ("My Profile") then scroll down to "Miscellaneous") in the column on the left hand side of the screen, click on "Buddy / Ignore Lists" and follow the instructions.

Everyone's entitled to whinge, but I appreciate that the monotony of the endless droning can be a bit tiresome after a while. There's a lot of white noise on this forum, and it doesn't hurt to filter out some of the loudest sources.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Trying living in Scotland when you say the weather aint that bad in the UK. P1ssing rain 364 days a year then one day of 18hr sunshine and whole country drinks gallons of alcohol and rolls around in parks half naked trying to get skin cancer. If its not the weather what are the other reasons for going to Australia - everything is more expensive the price of cars are mind boggling but the wages are lower in some cases a lot lower?
Where do you live?
Old May 17th 2008, 10:17 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Oh good ~ you're still living in the UK then? Do us all a favour and STAY THERE.

Why would anyone move to Australia for any other reason than the weather? Its has no culture, very little natural beauty, higher taxes than the UK and far fewer career opportunities.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Edinburgh.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

jellibaby - i can see you've settled into aussie culture perfectly brash and brainless.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Edinburgh.
Are you emigrating to OZ by any chance?
Old May 17th 2008, 10:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Trying living in Scotland when you say the weather aint that bad in the UK. P1ssing rain 364 days a year then one day of 18hr sunshine and whole country drinks gallons of alcohol and rolls around in parks half naked trying to get skin cancer.

Come on, it's not that bad. My wife and I spent a week in Edinburgh last year, and it was absolutely fantastic. We had one day of rain, and sunshine for the rest of our holiday. Absolutely stunning; we adored Edinburgh, and all the locals were so friendly.

If its not the weather what are the other reasons for going to Australia
It all depends on your situation. Everyone's different.

- everything is more expensive the price of cars are mind boggling but the wages are lower in some cases a lot lower?
Not everything is more expensive, and the taxes aren't actually higher; they're just collected differently. We don't pay National Insurance, for a start - and we're not taxed for the privilege of watching television.

Yes, the price of used cars is higher, but the price of new cars is usually lower. Yes, the wages for some industries are lower; but then, the population is about 2/3 smaller and Australia is more than three times the size of Western Europe, so there's plenty of room for expansion and improvement. Australia is still a young country, and even Rome wasn't built in a day.

It's all swings and roundabouts.

Old May 17th 2008, 10:23 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

I recommend Ullapool - its warmer for you - probably as far as you're ever likely to get in your lifetime. Aussie is not for you. Wages too low, people too nice, lifestyle too laid back ~ you stay with the rain cos if you're coming out here just for sunshine you'll be better off in Spain with a hankerchief on your head and a string vest.

jellibaby - i can see you've settled into aussie culture perfectly brash and brainless.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Oh good ~ you're still living in the UK then? Do us all a favour and STAY THERE.
Spot On!
Old May 17th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Yes you cant beat Edinburgh. I aint at the emigrating stage but my girlfriend is aussie and trying to get me to go to Sydney. Have been once before to check it out and now going for 10 weeks very shortly. Problem is I am having a very difficult time convincing myself that Australia is that fantastic a place when i was there last year spent loads of time in the sun swimming in the sea on the beaches loved that side of it but it is a backwater in world terms and things like job opportunities worry me. Everyone I know who has worked in Australia i work in IT has told me the wages are lower. That dont sound like my cup of tea i am greedy man when it comes to money.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Yes you cant beat Edinburgh. I aint at the emigrating stage but my girlfriend is aussie and trying to get me to go to Sydney. Have been once before to check it out and now going for 10 weeks very shortly. Problem is I am having a very difficult time convincing myself that Australia is that fantastic a place when i was there last year spent loads of time in the sun swimming in the sea on the beaches loved that side of it but it is a backwater in world terms and things like job opportunities worry me. Everyone I know who has worked in Australia i work in IT has told me the wages are lower. That dont sound like my cup of tea i am greedy man when it comes to money.
If you have a good thing in Edinburgh, then stay there. Things not always greener. I love Edinburgh too, been twice.
For us OZ has worked out to be more expensive, bigger morgage rates and all that. Sun is great, but i can live without it.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:33 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Well, fair play then.

A holiday isn't always the best time to judge a country; you're seeing it under the best circumstances, in the best context. Real life is very different, and just as boring is it is back home. Bills still have to be paid, the mortgage still has to be worried over, the car still needs petrol, a salary still has to be earned, and tax still has to be paid.

The grass may sometimes look greener, but it's not always the case. If you think you'd be happier in Edinburgh, I can understand why.

Old May 17th 2008, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, fair play then.

A holiday isn't always the best time to judge a country; you're seeing it under the best circumstances, in the best context. Real life is very different, and just as boring is it is back home. Bills still have to be paid, the mortgage still has to be worried over, the car still needs petrol, a salary still has to be earned, and tax still has to be paid.

The grass may sometimes look greener, but it's not always the case. If you think you'd be happier in Edinburgh, I can understand why.

You seem in a good mood tonight
Old May 17th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

My plan would be to start afresh if i came out probably open a proper bar which they only have about 5 of in Australia I would market it as "a little oasis in the cultural desert" and highlight the fact it doesnt have an entire bookmakers shop in the corner of the pub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.