Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you fly Malaysian Airlines?

Would you fly Malaysian Airlines?

Old Jan 14th 2015, 10:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you fly Malaysian Airlines?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, it's not as cheap as it used to be. I think I payed £12 for 4 hours the first time I used it. Used to be free Heineken on tap too - now I notice that costs extra.

Still, I think it's worth a shower, a change of clothes and some half decent food. That's just for me though - may be less value for a family...

S
I've only been to that lounge once but I wouldn't have described the food on offer as half decent that's for sure! I'd spend less cash on getting something decent outside the lounge.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not if an alternative was handy.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. As much as i love travelling I have a slight flying anxiety and thats what'd stop me.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Well just to give you an update I picked the family up Sunday morning and they were all bright eyed and bushy taled. My wife said she had been looked after very well. Nothing was too much trouble from the stewards. On the first flight she was given a row of 4 seats (had booked 2) so the kids could lay out and sleep despite the flight being pretty full. Comparing to Emirates who we normally go with, my wife said the plane was newer and much cleaner, and as I said the staff couldn't do enough for her. If she pressed the buzzer someone turned up within a minute or so. They took time entertaining the kids for a bit, they helped at meal times - giving the kids meals first then taking away the rubbish before giving her some (which emirates seem to be adverse to). She said the food itself was good - it wasn't anything particularly fancy but it was nice, and she managed to get a couple of glasses of wine too, and later on a coffee, which when having the kids seems to be more of a luxury these days on the plane.

My wife found KL airport good. It was quiet, it had some nice shops and everyone seemed pleasant and friendly, everything seemed reasonably priced. The 4 hours soon passed. All of the flights departed and landed pretty much as scheduled (no more than 10 mins difference).

Her experience was good, and we will probably fly with them next time when we go back to the UK - price/flight times permitting.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:53 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm fine in the air...its just on the ground i seem to stir things up
The idea of sitting listening to you wittering on for 24 hours
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
The idea of sitting listening to you wittering on for 24 hours
No chance, even if sat next to you my friend it would be ipod music, ipad book, beers on request, i fly in my own little world You would have the quietest flight ever
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:31 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No chance, even if sat next to you my friend it would be ipod music, ipad book, beers on request, i fly in my own little world You would have the quietest flight ever
Door open,green light,JUMP !!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Door open,green light,JUMP !!!!!!
Never mind little things like sharks or parachutes
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
My wife found KL airport good. It was quiet, it had some nice shops and everyone seemed pleasant and friendly, everything seemed reasonably priced. The 4 hours soon passed. All of the flights departed and landed pretty much as scheduled (no more than 10 mins difference).
In my estimation, KL has gotten a bit worse over the years, as its got more filled up with stores hawking stuff. Used to be really open. Even so, I've no complaints.

Her experience was good, and we will probably fly with them next time when we go back to the UK - price/flight times permitting.
Book 3 months ahead, that's the point when they start raising their prices (or did, in better times).
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well just to give you an update I picked the family up Sunday morning and they were all bright eyed and bushy taled. My wife said she had been looked after very well. Nothing was too much trouble from the stewards. On the first flight she was given a row of 4 seats (had booked 2) so the kids could lay out and sleep despite the flight being pretty full. Comparing to Emirates who we normally go with, my wife said the plane was newer and much cleaner, and as I said the staff couldn't do enough for her. If she pressed the buzzer someone turned up within a minute or so. They took time entertaining the kids for a bit, they helped at meal times - giving the kids meals first then taking away the rubbish before giving her some (which emirates seem to be adverse to). She said the food itself was good - it wasn't anything particularly fancy but it was nice, and she managed to get a couple of glasses of wine too, and later on a coffee, which when having the kids seems to be more of a luxury these days on the plane.

Glad your wife and the kids had a good trip. I've flown with Malaysia Airlines a few times, including an MH70 flight on the same route (before the accident, obviously), and found them to be a decent airline in terms of staff, service and price.

I can understand your wife's anxiety though. Since the two MH accidents and the Air Asia one, my previous 'if it happens, it happens' attitude when flying seems to have deserted me. Despite that I've just come back from a trip to Singapore flying with two budget airlines, Jetstar Asia and Scoot. Both were fine, with ScootBiz being the most enjoyable. Even so, it took two bloody Mary's in the airport bars, both ways, to calm my pre-flight jitters.

I know all the stats about flying being safer than travelling by car etc, but after those 3 terrible events which thanks to the internet were right in everyone's faces with their graphic and horrifying images, I know that I'll never regain my former flying legs. Rats