Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'm not sure why every post of yours has to have a shot at England? We get it, you don't like Eng

I'd love you to provide the link the separates out the language demographic of Eng rather than the UK as a whole ( I'll wait) and while you're at it, see if you can find a similar comparison to fluency in Australia.

But hey, that's migrstion for you eh?

The way you talk about Eng and other countries smacks of someone that is stuck in time 25 yrs in the past? HK first language, when we're you last there?
There's no "we" about it sunshine it's just you.

If you care to look at my 10 years of posts on here, I've always said that I live in Melbournes North because it's the closest thing I could find to what I like about the UK. Especially the Migrant mix.

What I was pointing out is I find it fascinating that there are a couple of European countries that are close if not past the English fluency rates of England (and Australia) by the looks of things. It's your bee and your Bonnet not mine.

Your right about the 25 years plus though, that really is all I have to go on.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

If you care to look at my 10 years of posts on here, I've always said that I live in Melbournes North because it's the closest thing I could find to what I like about the UK. Especially the Migrant mix.

What I was pointing out is I find it fascinating that there are a couple of European countries that are close if not past the English fluency rates of England (and Australia) by the looks of things. It's your bee and your Bonnet not mine.

That's nice dear.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 7:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
That's nice dear.
Sorry, but having grownup in an Anglican vicarage many years ago in rural England, that sounds soooooooo Women's Institute and old fashioned tea and cucumber sandiwches Thank you for bringing back images of my chidhood
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorry, but having grownup in an Anglican vicarage many years ago in rural England, that sounds soooooooo Women's Institute and old fashioned tea and cucumber sandiwches Thank you for bringing back images of my chidhood
It's all Jam and Jerusalem to me
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I really do not agree with this (unless of course I would like to become the Queen, although Kate Middleton "a commoner" might one day become Queen) I have friends from all walks of life and we all mix together very well without a thought to our backgrounds. The UK has had Prime Ministers from "normal" backgrounds Harold Wilson, James Callaghan, Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair etc.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Not sure what we mean about fluency rates -(do pay attention Badge)

There's long been a joke that other nationals of countries can speak English very nicely. I used to work in Central Europe and often the locals had absolute fluency and a nice, 'international' accent too. People with strong regional English accents sometimes struggled.

Probably because the accents are sort of ironed out (but as I have said, with the regionalism of London and the SE I wonder if Estuary English will get overseas?! Think of that!)
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Globetrotta is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I don't live in either but having visited both and being a slave to coffee and public transport now that it's free in Melboourne CBD well Melbourne wins by a nose! Sydney to me was an unexpected pleasure I had having travelled extensively to many great cities never ever had a desire to go to Sydney, surprisingly it surpassed every expectation service, efficiency and add to that walkability I just loved it and some of the old stations reminded me of home e.g. St James. To live day in day out the multicultural feel of Melbourne the laneways its up there for me with London, Paris, Vienna, New York, and Melbourne (not in that order) Sydney and Zurich, Budpaest...it depends on what you like to do...me coffee, library, watch sports on tv so that is a non starter and public transport is essential. Honestly, it should come down to work no point being anywhere if you can't work if you have to.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all completely irrelevant if you can't get a visa.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:13 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by troioitroi
However, as first-generation migrants, we guess it is difficult for us to move higher in British society. We hope our children can do better.

A friend from Australia suggested we move to Sydney or Melbourne. Of course, the first thing is we have to find jobs there first.

Having said that, a friend said racial discrimination against non-white people is more serious in Australia.

- For the same money, you may have better homes in Australia

- Life in Australia may be more relaxing, even in main cities like Sydney or Melbourne.
You mean like becoming part of the "establishment," hanging out with the Royals, etc.? Any reason why you are infatuated with this notion? Most people couldn't give a flying monkey about being part of a clan and just concentrate on themselves and their own achievements/accomplishments in life. They don't look at what they have to do to somehow get into a some niche, little circle, as their life-long plan.

As for Australia, it all depends on a variety of factors, just like with every country that one considers moving to. I suggest that you put your friend's suggestion aside for a moment and check out Australia yourself.

For homes I take it you are looking at London prices? Take into account that Sydney is getting ridiculously expensive at present, almost looks like a housing bubble.

For discrimination, I think you'll certainly find Australians very much against all this political correctness mumbo jumbo. But apart from that I don't think you will find Australia problematic in this regard. It's Europe that is currently rampant with extremist pseudo-politicians that are preying on the gullible public with their scaremongering.

If you're looking for something more relaxing, why not try the Gold Coast or even Brisbane?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's all completely irrelevant if you can't get a visa.
+1
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by troioitroi
Hi all, I appreciate your advice, even brutal and honest one. But this is a genuine query. I am not interested in opening a heated debate for its own sake.

Perhaps I was naïve to think Australia is inherently easier than England. But pls understand that here, the media, and my own circles, keep saying how Britain is still a class-ridden society, private schools matter, etc. As a columnist in the Guardian said lately:

“The answer is that social mobility remained at its slow pre-industrial pace. Status persists as strongly in the Cameron meritocracy as in pre-industrial England. Lineage is destiny. At birth, most of your social outcome is predictable from your family history.

An illustration of the power of lineage even in modern England comes even from the first names children receive at birth. Naming your daughter Jade means she has one hundredth the chance of attending Oxford as a girl whose parents chose for her Eleanor. Similarly for Bradley versus Peter.”

Social mobility barely exists. So don’t expect it to solve inequality | Gregory Clark | Comment is free | The Guardian

That is why I wondered Australia can offer better opportunities for migrants, ‘outsiders’. I might be naïve, but that does not mean it is not worth asking.
Thanks,
You will soon loose your direction following that line of thought.

Focus on education and career is the same world wide.

Tertiary education is foundation, work experience is the body of knowledge.

There are many thousands of top 1% graduates from Cambridge and oxford still under $200k per year. And many more non graduates on + $1 million per month.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
You mean like becoming part of the "establishment," hanging out with the Royals, etc.? Any reason why you are infatuated with this notion? Most people couldn't give a flying monkey about being part of a clan and just concentrate on themselves and their own achievements/accomplishments in life. They don't look at what they have to do to somehow get into a some niche, little circle, as their life-long plan.

As for Australia, it all depends on a variety of factors, just like with every country that one considers moving to. I suggest that you put your friend's suggestion aside for a moment and check out Australia yourself.

For homes I take it you are looking at London prices? Take into account that Sydney is getting ridiculously expensive at present, almost looks like a housing bubble.

For discrimination, I think you'll certainly find Australians very much against all this political correctness mumbo jumbo. But apart from that I don't think you will find Australia problematic in this regard. It's Europe that is currently rampant with extremist pseudo-politicians that are preying on the gullible public with their scaremongering.

If you're looking for something more relaxing, why not try the Gold Coast or even Brisbane?
Maybe the OP just wants to be more accepted in their professional circle(s), or feel they are being excluded from some (when they otherwise wouldn't).
There is no guarantee of that anywhere if they feel their race is a factor.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
There are many thousands of top 1% graduates from Cambridge and oxford still under $200k per year. And many more non graduates on + $1 million per month.
Aint that true. Says little about tertiary education and a lot about the individual.