Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Old Mar 20th 2015, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

There is a 'class system' here (this topic is done to death on BE).

It is nothing but simple demographics: blue collar, white collar and education levels (but like many countries - everyone goes to Uni moreorless!).

There is old privilege in place - just like anywhere else. This upsets some people more than others - generally the people who feel they were personally blocked as a result.

Australian society, culturally, though probably is a bit less obsessed over it allthough - there tends to be more things that create common ground - day to day. I don't think I ever hear someone and think 'My God - must look him up!' Noone I think who really knows Australia should feel the need to beat up themselves, or Australians over it.

There is also a material, shallow society here, some tuned in the tabloid channels and tabloid life. Some of it is more suburban than others, some of it is just reaping the rewards. You have a choice to follow them or ignore it whilst taking and leaving the bits of that life as it suits...

cheers
Old Mar 20th 2015, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

troioitroi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

@BadgeisBack: Thank you for your kind reply.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

For a migrant to the UK (unless they are from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, NZ, US) the OP is unbelievably fluent in written English. Most people who have learnt English as an adult make the odd mistake, so think this is a wind up post.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 5:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by troioitroi
@BadgeisBack: Thank you for your kind reply.
This isn't ****ing twitter!!!

rant over
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This isn't ****ing twitter!!!

rant over
@Dorothy #ragin' #perimenapausal #olddear
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
For a migrant to the UK (unless they are from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, NZ, US) the OP is unbelievably fluent in written English. Most people who have learnt English as an adult make the odd mistake, so think this is a wind up post.
Unless they are Scandinavian or Dutch perhaps.

I think It's Norway where they have a higher percentage of the population that is fluent in English than England itself. Thats migration for you though eh Could also come from India, where Anglo Indians have English as their first language, The Caribbean or a couple of the African Countries... Could even be Hong Kong.

We could play guess the OP's country and he could say Warm or Cold.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 21st 2015 at 6:41 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I think It's Norway where they have a higher percentage of the population that is fluent in English than England itself. Thats migration for you though eh Could also come from India, where Anglo Indians have English as their first language, The Caribbean or a couple of the African Countries... Could even be Hong Kong.

Or he could just treat us with disdain for being a lower class than him
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I'm not sure why every post of yours has to have a shot at England? We get it, you don't like Eng

I'd love you to provide the link the separates out the language demographic of Eng rather than the UK as a whole ( I'll wait) and while you're at it, see if you can find a similar comparison to fluency in Australia.

But hey, that's migrstion for you eh?

The way you talk about Eng and other countries smacks of someone that is stuck in time 25 yrs in the past? HK first language, when we're you last there?

Last edited by Tr1boy; Mar 21st 2015 at 7:01 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'm not sure why every post of yours has to have a shot at England? We get it, you don't like Eng

I'd love you to provide the link the separates out the language demographic of Eng rather than the UK as a whole ( I'll wait) and while you're at it, see if you can find a similar comparison to fluency in Australia.

The way you talk about Eng and other countries smacks of someone that is stuck in time 25 yrs in the past? HK first language, when we're you last there?
I never got the impression he doesn't like England?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My impression is that there seems to be a little shot in every post. Maybe I'm wrong, I was once, it was a Wed afternoon in the 70s, remember it well.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an Aussie and I have no class at all, if that helps.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:15 am
Home and Happy

My impression is that there seems to be a little shot in every post. Maybe I'm wrong, I was once, it was a Wed afternoon in the 70s, remember it well.
I might be wrong too - I usually am But I spent a happy afternpoon drinking with him recently and didn't get that impression!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

The name troioitroi would suggest Vietnamese
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Agreed :the impression I get is that he is well settled in Melbourne's North but has been known to reminisce about the UK.

On the subject of fluency - I have London clients - the accent is really changing in London it seems....Estuary English has really spread the last 13 years...noticeable to the point where it is almost comical and where the Australians in my office have better diction....bizarre....

not a cheap shot - just highly noticeable (and both sad and interesting).

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 21st 2015 at 10:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.