Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worried about 12 year old!

Worried about 12 year old!

Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice
Default Worried about 12 year old!

I am not worried about my OH and I settling but I have started worrying more and more about my 12 year old! He is looking forward to it all and can't wait but I worry about whether he will be unhappy, fall into the bad crowd, bullied etc!! Plus he has no other siblings being an only child to go through it all with! I know this could happen here and my OH thinks that I am again over analysing everything! Does anyone have any advice on how to make the transition easier or just general help??? Or those that have been in a similar position.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about 12 year old!

Stop worrying. Kids pick up very easily on their parents feelings. If he sees that you are nervous about these things then he'll be nervous too. Thousands of people come with 12 year olds every year. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:18 am
Just Joined

shaheen09 will become famous soon enoughshaheen09 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Faircity
I am not worried about my OH and I settling but I have started worrying more and more about my 12 year old! He is looking forward to it all and can't wait but I worry about whether he will be unhappy, fall into the bad crowd, bullied etc!! Plus he has no other siblings being an only child to go through it all with! I know this could happen here and my OH thinks that I am again over analysing everything! Does anyone have any advice on how to make the transition easier or just general help??? Or those that have been in a similar position.
stop worrying, you boy will be fine.my son is 9 and already can't wait to get out there.i think that children are stronger then what we think, he will make friends easily at school.what i would do is keep asking him if he is still happy with the decision and also let him know if he has any concern he can come to you or OH. for them its a new adventure, i had concerns too but after talking to my son i realised this is what he wants to.hope this helps, us mothers cannot stop worrying. lol
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Don't worry about it. He will be at school making new friends and hopefully settle really well very quickly. Don't make too much of a fuss before you have even got here. You'll get him worried.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is 12 (only child) and starts school in Sydney on 8th Sept, going back into year 7, which she had finished in July. I don't have too many concerns about making friends as she has found everyone really friendly and the school has a buddy system. There are more chances of your son falling in with a bad crowd in the UK! As long as the school is enough to keep him stimulated- join teams and clubs to make friends- this goes for grown-ups too. It still feels like were on holiday though as we are in a holiday apartment and I don't get my car till next week,. Once we have a proper rental and our furniture arrives I will believe it is real.
Caroline
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 4,11 and 14 year old all girls and they made good friends right away.I was worried for my 11 year old as she was bullied in the UK but she loves school here.Does your son like sport as that always helps but if not I am sure he will be fine as I have found the Ozzie children very easy going.

There are so many British children starting at my daughters school that it is quite normal for them and they all seem to settle.

Stop worrying(as if a Mum can!) he will be fine.Sue.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by petensue
I have a 4,11 and 14 year old all girls and they made good friends right away.I was worried for my 11 year old as she was bullied in the UK but she loves school here.Does your son like sport as that always helps but if not I am sure he will be fine as I have found the Ozzie children very easy going.

There are so many British children starting at my daughters school that it is quite normal for them and they all seem to settle.

Stop worrying(as if a Mum can!) he will be fine.Sue.
We told our 12 year old daughter we'd reasses at 6 ,omths but after 2 weeks she said to extend it to 2 years, now its never; its a tricky age but she loves it here, keeps in contact with her UK friends but has made some nice friends here....Don't worry!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I came with kids aged from 15-2yrs. My kids settled very well and Im less worried about them here in oz than in the UK.

I was worried about 15 year old and 10 year old but they settled quicker than I could have hoped.
All kids love it here and they are very happy.

Your son will be fine, I think all of us go through the same thing before we leave wondering if the kids will settle.

Gems
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

mark2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, me too. We have 2 boys 15 & 10, my biggest worry was that they wouldn,t settle. We arrived middle of June & both boys loved their schools from day one. They both say everyone is so relaxed & very welcoming which for us is just a massive plus. So dont worry, have a look at a few schools & just take it from there.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your comments! I have spoken to him and he always says he is cool about it all and that he can't wait - it is me that is worrying!!!! He is a vvv sporty kid plays cricket for the school, local club and county level and footie is the same and he is a black belt in kick boxing so I know once I get him into those sorts of clubs he will hopefully be fine! It is so nice to hear such positive comments and it has certainly put my mind at rest a bit more We have told him he needs to be honest with us and tell us if he ever has any concerns and all he has said is that he will miss his mates here but that it was only natural - I sometimes wonder who is the grown up!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

He sounds like the sort to fit in really well, and obviously his excitement overwhelms any worries he may feel. Who isn't nervous on the first day in a new school, let alone a new country? Bet you it takes him about a week before he's asking if he can go to a friend's house.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwinow
He sounds like the sort to fit in really well, and obviously his excitement overwhelms any worries he may feel. Who isn't nervous on the first day in a new school, let alone a new country? Bet you it takes him about a week before he's asking if he can go to a friend's house.
Thanks Kiwinow all fingers and toes and legs crossed that you are right! He is the kinda kid that makes friends on the 1st day of a holiday being an only child he has pretty much had to be like that! I think somedays you can blow everything all out of proportion and it just needs some good advice from people who have been there and done it to bring it all back into perspective
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

We too have an only child (now 17) who has lived in South Africa, Uk and now Australia. They settle much quicker than we do.. she always comes home from school on her first day with a bunch of new friends!!
She loves it here ..
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:25 pm
Sun, Sea, Sand and.......

Starlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant futureStarlite has a brilliant future

Hi Faircity
Where is it you are moving to in auz and when?? i have a 12 year old son too and is also into sports big time, if you are perhaps moving to the same area as us and we are moving to perth on Nov 25th, we could get them together and let them get to know eachother. If not i'm sure your son will make friends easy enough with sports clubs etc.

Just a thought

Starlite

Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Starlite
Hi Faircity
Where is it you are moving to in auz and when?? i have a 12 year old son too and is also into sports big time, if you are perhaps moving to the same area as us and we are moving to perth on Nov 25th, we could get them together and let them get to know eachother. If not i'm sure your son will make friends easy enough with sports clubs etc.

Just a thought

Starlite
Hi Starlight OH has been offered a job in Canberra so nowhere near you! We're not too sure at the mo when either we need to sell the house before we can go and you know what the market is like at the mo! :curse: Thanks tho that would have been good to have done that - you must let me know how your son gets on - if you are anything like me you will be feelin positive with all the nice comments on this thread My friend moved to Brissie about a year ago now with 3 kids and they have settled in really well! I think I am more worried about him being on his own with no siblings but we have a really open relationship with him and he knows he can talk to us about anything.... Good luck for the 25th Nov hope it all goes really well like I said let me know how you and your son are getting on - any advice thoughts would be good to hear in the future! Lx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.