Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working holiday question - jobs

Working holiday question - jobs

Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday question - jobs

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I say do whatever it takes to get a job. People take jobs far too seriously. For me it's simple:
Go to work
Do your job to the best of your ability
Go home - leave the job at the office door
Get paid

All the rest is details and bollocks.

I have never had to lie to get a job. Nor would I want to, if I lied about having particular skills or whatever that I did not have but were required for the job then how would I do the job without those skills anyway. I don't see the point in lying. I have enough confidence in myself and my true abilities not to have to lie.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have never had to lie to get a job. Nor would I want to, if I lied about having particular skills or whatever that I did not have but were required for the job then how would I do the job without those skills anyway. I don't see the point in lying. I have enough confidence in myself and my true abilities not to have to lie.
When I was backpacking in Australia, I was desperate for a job as I had no money and wanted to keep on travelling - which takes money. I also did not have a WHV. I did whatever it took to get a job, made loads of money and then had the year of my life.

Do whatever needs to be done to get a job - including lying. Of course you have to have some ability, if you don't, you'll get your ass fired - so no worries there.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Carole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to all

In this case its got nothing at all to do with lying about your skills, its about being descreat about your visa type unless asked directly, whats the point of having a WHV if employers won't even consider you coz they know you are only gonna be in the country for a short period of time and they can offer the job to someone who can committ themselves more and further more permanent residents. When you have been constantly rejected and not even given a chance, purley coz of your status of your working visa, then it does get you down, and has a huge impact on your stay in the country, thats when you have to consider your tactics on addressing the issue of your visa when applying for jobs, in the end you will still have to show them evidence but you would hopefully have got further down the line of the chance of being offered a job. Unless you have had this experience, then only then can you make such harsh narrow minded / blinkered comments.
Giving it straight
Carole
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carole & Keith
In this case its got nothing at all to do with lying about your skills, its about being descreat about your visa type unless asked directly, whats the point of having a WHV if employers won't even consider you coz they know you are only gonna be in the country for a short period of time and they can offer the job to someone who can committ themselves more and further more permanent residents. When you have been constantly rejected and not even given a chance, purley coz of your status of your working visa, then it does get you down, and has a huge impact on your stay in the country, thats when you have to consider your tactics on addressing the issue of your visa when applying for jobs, in the end you will still have to show them evidence but you would hopefully have got further down the line of the chance of being offered a job. Unless you have had this experience, then only then can you make such harsh narrow minded / blinkered comments.
Giving it straight
Carole
I don't know what kind of jobs you are applying for but, although it's not stated, the WHV is basically aimed at no or low skilled jobs like bar staff, catering, fruit picking, labouring etc. You can get skilled work on a WHV but it will be harder unless you are in a place that is hot for your skills.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

I wouldnt lie, yes I agree some find it hard to get a job while on a WHV. but be prepared to do anything, try local computer/it support shops who may relish the opportunity and make u feel more of a person than a number

If immi find out may damage your chances in the future, yes I was one of the lucky ones who got to work as a lecturer while in Australia at places like University of Western Australia. Great job, honesty did the trick. Another place offered to sponsor me to keep me past 6mths but returned home to help partner who was diagnosed and treated for cancer while we were there.

will retrain as a nurse and hope to go back on 457 or 175 in few years.