Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working holiday question - jobs

Working holiday question - jobs

Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:36 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday question - jobs

When applying for jobs on a working holiday visa would they ask for your visa status?

I know it's a bit of a moral grey area but can you say you have permanent resident status? (OK moral black area) Otherwise they wouldn't bother as they know you'll have to leave after 6 months. I was thinking of maybe either not saying or saying I was PR just to have a job for six months which is going to be how long I'm in oz for anyway.

Alternatively can anyone advise what the contracting in IT is like in Oz and are 6 month contracts common?

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday question - jobs

Originally Posted by zRichi
When applying for jobs on a working holiday visa would they ask for your visa status?

I know it's a bit of a moral grey area but can you say you have permanent resident status? (OK moral black area) Otherwise they wouldn't bother as they know you'll have to leave after 6 months. I was thinking of maybe either not saying or saying I was PR just to have a job for six months which is going to be how long I'm in oz for anyway.

Alternatively can anyone advise what the contracting in IT is like in Oz and are 6 month contracts common?

Thanks
My experience was that the visa question was rarely raised so I reckon go for it. The worst that can happen is that they find out and fire your ass - it's only a job, you can find another and you are only here temporarily anyway.

I am a firm believer in lying (within reason) to get a job. Never take a job seriously.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My experience was that the visa question was rarely raised so I reckon go for it. The worst that can happen is that they find out and fire your ass - it's only a job, you can find another and you are only here temporarily anyway.

I am a firm believer in lying (within reason) to get a job. Never take a job seriously.
I agree.

In many cases they'd turn a blind eye as if you're good they'll want to keep you for more than 6 months - which they couldn't do if they knew you were on a WHV - so wouldn't necessarily raise it.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:25 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Most firms will require some form of residency information (ie visa copy) to be submitted once they have accepted you.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you need to weigh up the risks though. It all depends on your personal circumstances. A 25yr old single backpacker might have a different "risk profile" to a 45yr old, married with 2 kids, single wage, just moved over on a 457...
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

If you apply through an agency, and the vast majority of IT work is via agencies, they will want to see proof of status before putting you forward.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
For my first job I was required to provide a copy of my visa label. You could waste a lot of time only to fail at the signing contracts stage. I've just signed a contract for a new job...I applied about 7 weeks ago and went through 4 interviews.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
WHV and IT contracting don't really go together. The agencies will want to see a PR visa - they don't want you walking away after 6 months it's in their interest to keep you in place as long as possible. The vast majority of IT jobs clearly state PR or citizen and they will check.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

I have had maybe 4 jobs since I have been in Oz on a working holiday - I have had to show a copy of my visa every time.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:05 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm this doesn't sound too promising!

I'm guessing call centre pay and things is impossible to save on?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Carole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to allCarole & Keith is a name known to all

Hi, my personal advice about the working holiday visa is, its not worth the paper its writtten on unless its for a long period of time, the reason why I say this is, currently my sons girlfriend is living over here at present on a 12months WHV, and has nothing but problems, she has found soon as perspective employers here the requirements of it, they then start making excuses, she has since started to white lie and say she is applying for permant residency just to get them to even listen to her. She only gets offered really crappy jobs, and had to leave them coz they are very hesitant in giving her decent hours and has had 2 jobs where they have been very hesitant in giving her wage slips and money in bank. Shes been here for 5 months and still struggling to find work.

Sorry to be blunt and depressing,
Carole
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that the right to work question is always raised.

I am a firm believer in never lying to get a job.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately IT is one of those occupations that you would be competing with thousands of others who actually have PR but are struggling to find a job in the industry, also the old 'Local Experience' question is bound to crop up at some point.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Carole & Keith
Hi, my personal advice about the working holiday visa is, its not worth the paper its written on unless its for a long period of time
From Personal experience.... its a very good way to get sponsored as long as you are in a decent industry and are pretty sharp.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am a firm believer in never lying to get a job.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I say do whatever it takes to get a job. People take jobs far too seriously. For me it's simple:
Go to work
Do your job to the best of your ability
Go home - leave the job at the office door
Get paid

All the rest is details and bollocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.