Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Eat your hearts out Sydney and Melbourne. You are yesterdays news. Old hat in other words. Perth has been declared The Capital Of Cool.

A must visit city for 2018. A global destination choice with direct flights starting up between London and Perth later this year.

Perhaps a bit over done with the PR but you get the drift.

What do you think? Perth has certainly improved but IMO costs hold it back. Social life in eating out and the like remain too over priced.

Perth needs to build on vibrancy. Not to hem it in by being too expensive.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Eat your hearts out Sydney and Melbourne. You are yesterdays news. Old hat in other words. Perth has been declared The Capital Of Cool.

A must visit city for 2018. A global destination choice with direct flights starting up between London and Perth later this year.

Perhaps a bit over done with the PR but you get the drift.

What do you think? Perth has certainly improved but IMO costs hold it back. Social life in eating out and the like remain too over priced.

Perth needs to build on vibrancy. Not to hem it in by being too expensive.
Here we go again
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Here we go again
+1
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again
Meaning? At least I attempt to contribute to a forum that has been sadly in decline in recent years. When I first joined back in 2008 there was a constant number of new postings and involvement.

I quoted a genuine article headline by American Chris Dwyer, a travel writer.
If you have no comments but sarcasm you could refrain. Or better still post a comment on your feelings as to the pro's and con's of such a declaration.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
+1
What's with you? Can't get started this morning? See above post for comment that equally applies to you.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You have to feel for the Perth Tourism marketing exec. It's hard work getting international tourists to turn up, since it's out of the way to the main destinations, but with the direct flights to London with non-stops, well it sounds like it's all good.

However interstate visitors are well down this year and even WA aren't holidaying instate. Put simply, those that know best don't want to holiday there.

Trying to brand Perth as 'cool' is something of a desperate throw (since anyone who's been there knows it isn't). More concentration on actual tourist draws seems indicated - like dealing with the Rotto Ferry costs and horrible service. Bribing a travel journalist to write you a positive story is more than a bit desperate.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine coming from London, one of the world's premier cities and arriving in Perth. It would be somewhat depressing I'd imagine, unless you like the beach.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is certainly a lot of 'talking up' Perth over the past year or so. I note during that time the real estate lobby are constantly attempting to suggest the corner has turned and green shoots are sprouting. They do their industry a disservice of course when little of consequence actually happens.

There has certainly been hope by State Government that tourism would take up some of the slack left by the resource downturn. As mentioned take up hasn't been great, but hopes lay with passengers staying a few days on the London direct flights later in the year.

Perth certainly needs some 'wow' factors as besides beaches little really in the offering.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 5:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is certainly a lot of 'talking up' Perth over the past year or so. I note during that time the real estate lobby are constantly attempting to suggest the corner has turned and green shoots are sprouting. They do their industry a disservice of course when little of consequence actually happens.

There has certainly been hope by State Government that tourism would take up some of the slack left by the resource downturn. As mentioned take up hasn't been great, but hopes lay with passengers staying a few days on the London direct flights later in the year.

Perth certainly needs some 'wow' factors as besides beaches little really in the offering.
Only been to Perth a couple fo times but I must admit I rather liked it. It was hot as Hades, but without the humidity of Brisbane, which is a definite plus from my point of view.
Not bothered about the fact everyone says its boring and too isolated -if what you want is somewhere with faster access to UK/Europe, then the west coast knocks a few hours off, especially if you are willing to do the new one-sector flight.
Maybe it does need more of the 'wow' factor, but then what is that mythical factor? I mean, look at Brisbane, it attracts tourists and there's certainly not much 'wow' here! If anything all the 'wow' stuff is outside of the city -Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Barrier Reef etc. A stunning number if people come here and are then shocked to find they need to go several hours north to access the Reef. To my mind that isn't so different from the likes of Margaret River and other destinations outside of Perth. Maybe market the region for tourists, or even the State, not just the city.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning? At least I attempt to contribute to a forum that has been sadly in decline in recent years. When I first joined back in 2008 there was a constant number of new postings and involvement.

I quoted a genuine article headline by American Chris Dwyer, a travel writer.
If you have no comments but sarcasm you could refrain. Or better still post a comment on your feelings as to the pro's and con's of such a declaration.
I absolutely don't have to 'refrain' from making whatever comment I choose, within the site rules. Just as others don't have to refrain from making BE the vehicle for their personal hobby horse(s), and endless rehashing of their opinions. Even the personal insults between entrenched 'camps' don't change from one thread to the next, and the next, and the next.....

Re BE 'sadly declining' - it's not. If there are less people posting on the Australia forum, that simply means that there are less people seeking to migrate there. Those that are still post and receive the assistance they're requesting. That's success in my book.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I absolutely don't have to 'refrain' from making whatever comment I choose, within the site rules. Just as others don't have to refrain from making BE the vehicle for their personal hobby horse(s), and endless rehashing of their opinions. Even the personal insults between entrenched 'camps' don't change from one thread to the next, and the next, and the next.....

Re BE 'sadly declining' - it's not. If there are less people posting on the Australia forum, that simply means that there are less people seeking to migrate there. Those that are still post and receive the assistance they're requesting. That's success in my book.
No you don't but coming on with attitude will only ensure you get the appropriate response back. So where are the site rules with regards to the making of sarcastic comments? The thread was totally kosher and you were welcome to contribute in a sensible form obviously.

Well BE is after all a forum and as such will have all sorts of agendas at play besides just ordinary, at times interesting posts.

Those with own agendas kept be away from BE for a considerable number of years. At least the Australian section. I only dropped by occasionally.

This time around I have lingered longer, and responded to some of the on going nonsense by a couple of posters, who likely if anything put people off.

It's an opinion that fewer are migrating but not especially one I hold as to reasons why numbers on this forum are in decline. Immigration to Australia is running at near record levels. Just the British element of it has fallen.

I trust we can communicate on less robust terms in future.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GarryP
However interstate visitors are well down this year and even WA aren't holidaying .
Really? Did you try and book something last minute over the Christmas period? Not a holiday park to be had!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJCS
Really? Did you try and book something last minute over the Christmas period? Not a holiday park to be had!
That comes from the state tourism stats.

Something like 10% down IIRC.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We were down south in early October and they were busy with tourists. Mostly Perth originated and a fair number of Asian tourists in hire cars.

I do detect a decline in the Perth market with European tourists. I'd say less back packers as well. Far fewer down the beach anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only been to Perth a couple fo times but I must admit I rather liked it. It was hot as Hades, but without the humidity of Brisbane, which is a definite plus from my point of view.
Not bothered about the fact everyone says its boring and too isolated -if what you want is somewhere with faster access to UK/Europe, then the west coast knocks a few hours off, especially if you are willing to do the new one-sector flight.
Maybe it does need more of the 'wow' factor, but then what is that mythical factor? I mean, look at Brisbane, it attracts tourists and there's certainly not much 'wow' here! If anything all the 'wow' stuff is outside of the city -Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Barrier Reef etc. A stunning number if people come here and are then shocked to find they need to go several hours north to access the Reef. To my mind that isn't so different from the likes of Margaret River and other destinations outside of Perth. Maybe market the region for tourists, or even the State, not just the city.

+1 good one polly

To the OP...Be AU is dying, you are correct. Have to admit, i don't miss the constant bickering.

There was a time 20 years ago when Perf was an English wet dream for some.
Hillaries and Rottnest or Freo...take your pick...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.