Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT work in Sydney

IT work in Sydney

Old Oct 16th 2001, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

rocheyc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just started the process of applying for immigration to Australia with my girlfriend. We have been thinking about it for 3 years and have just decided to go ahead. My girlfriend can transfer her current job to the Sydney office but I have to find one. I have 2 Honours degrees and a member of the BCS with 4 years experience as an Analyst Programmer within a financial organisation (Data Warehousing, MIS, application development). Has anyone with similar background had luck finding work in the Sydney area? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? Is it best to go perm or contract?
Old Oct 17th 2001, 2:18 am
Alan Collett

Hi Zebee.

Tax rules for contractors ... hmmm .... I agree they are complicated and messy, but
they are not impossible to work with.

If you are planning to retain some money for the future and when you are looking at a
difference in tax on retained monies of up to 48.5% personally and 30% in a company
I'd not discount looking at using a company for contracting.

Alan C alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com www.gomatilda.com www.collettandco.com

Zebee Johnstone wrote in message ... In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Tue, 16 Oct
2001 14:41:38 GMT

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Check www.jobnet.com.au

YOu will be better off as a permanent, because the tax rules for contracts are rather
nasty right now, and you will find it difficult to handle them with all the other
hassles of immigration.

Zebee

Old Oct 17th 2001, 3:42 am
Zebee Johnstone

In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:18:16 +1000

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Providing you don't run foul of the Alienation of Personal Services thing which is
aimed squarely at people doing just that.

Of course you can take a contract without doing the tax-me-like-a-company thing, but
then you have the disadvantages of contract and none of the advantages.

I suspect the best bet is to take what you can get, and don't worry about trying to
fiddle the tax side until you can get a good local accountant who knows what they are
doing with that legislation.

Zebee

Old Oct 17th 2001, 4:38 am
Alan Collett

Zebee,

Yes, I know about the Alienation measures, and I also know they have been watered
down by the Federal Government significantly since they were first introduced -
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=64 - under pressure from
industry, and the media (Robert Gottliebsen in The Australian in particular).

For what it's worth, I am a local accountant ....

Alan C

Zebee Johnstone wrote in message ... In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Wed, 17 Oct
2001 12:18:16 +1000

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Providing you don't run foul of the Alienation of Personal Services thing which is
aimed squarely at people doing just that.

Of course you can take a contract without doing the tax-me-like-a-company thing, but
then you have the disadvantages of contract and none of the advantages.

I suspect the best bet is to take what you can get, and don't worry about trying to
fiddle the tax side until you can get a good local accountant who knows what they are
doing with that legislation.

Zebee