Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Women and their clothes...

Women and their clothes...

Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice
Default Re: Women and their clothes...

Originally Posted by AlanEll
ROFL!
Not shallow and self-important, just realistic! My friends was wondering why she was being past over for promotions into customer-facing roles, and she dressed older than my mum (who's 62!) Fact: women who wear makeup earn more money. The idea is that women who take care of themselves take care of their work, stay up with the times etc. You may live in a utopia but I don't, it's not fair but when are most things.

I was trying to be diplomatic but here's the deal - Australia has a very sexist stereotype. IT is very male dominated. I'm young and blond, with a high-pitched soft voice and the body of a playboy bunny. I've worked damn hard at projecting a confident and capable professionalism in a male-dominated workplace, from how I hold my head when listening to people, to not touching my hair or even applying lip-balm at my desk. There is a whole branch of psychology devoted to this stuff ladies - and it's worked very well for me. I wanted to know the lay of the land in Sydney before I got there, that's all.

As I said, and has been previously posted by others, what goes down in tropical Brisbane, doesn't go down well in Melbourne. Just trying to learn ladies, no need to scratch
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:23 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you're right, No 15. I sincerely hope so.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

chris and tracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 5u5an
Fantastic replies! Especially from NickyC who's doing exactly what I want to do. It sounds very much like here really. I wear my jacket because it's cold, or if the atmos is more casual then a cardi. I always wear trousers but am looking forward to the warmer weather so i can wear skirts and dresses again. I always commute in flats and change to heels before entering the office. Not too keen on dress down Friday as I own more work clothes than casual (how sad is that!), but it's common here too. Sounds like I'll fit in fine.

Thanks everyone!
We're two 30-something IT professionals who've been in Melbourne for a few months. We recently started working for two different banks at their headquarters in the city so I can offer my first impressions.

I find that everyone in my office dresses very professionally. There are more dresses and skirts on the ladies and fewer ties on the men than there were in the UK but its still very smart with suits and jackets for everyone. (The A/C is freezing!) I don't have any dress down days but the other bank has them every Friday.

When walking in, I wore trainers or flip flops and change into heels on arrival. (I now cycle in and shower and change at the office).

Interested in your decision to contract - in my experience of IT in Melbourne there are a smaller number of contract vacancies and the salaries aren't very different to the permanent roles - very different to the UK.

I'm still working on what the best stores are to buy work-wear but I guess that will come with time.

Best of luck to you
Tracy.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:37 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Not shallow and self-important, just realistic!

I'm young and blond, with a high-pitched soft voice and the body of a playboy bunny. (

Where do I begin with this. Can I please join the 'I sincerely hope this is a wind-up' group please?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not shallow and self-important, just realistic! My friends was wondering why she was being past over for promotions into customer-facing roles, and she dressed older than my mum (who's 62!) Fact: women who wear makeup earn more money. The idea is that women who take care of themselves take care of their work, stay up with the times etc. You may live in a utopia but I don't, it's not fair but when are most things.

I was trying to be diplomatic but here's the deal - Australia has a very sexist stereotype. IT is very male dominated. I'm young and blond, with a high-pitched soft voice and the body of a playboy bunny. I've worked damn hard at projecting a confident and capable professionalism in a male-dominated workplace, from how I hold my head when listening to people, to not touching my hair or even applying lip-balm at my desk. There is a whole branch of psychology devoted to this stuff ladies - and it's worked very well for me. I wanted to know the lay of the land in Sydney before I got there, that's all.

As I said, and has been previously posted by others, what goes down in tropical Brisbane, doesn't go down well in Melbourne. Just trying to learn ladies, no need to scratch
Well I admire your form. But in IT, the Australian stereotype is larger than the reality. There are always more men around than women.

Originally Posted by Peepster

Where do I begin with this. Can I please join the 'I sincerely hope this is a wind-up' group please?
Well hope it is true - good on her. Nothing nicer than a woman with a good figure, dress sense, and brains, to boot. I think women are too quick to put themselves down.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
Oer yes, I've just read her "classic hour glass figure trying not to be sexy post". Perhaps it's all a wind up.

Apologies Seasider.
Pictures....will sort this one...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Well I admire your form. But in IT, the Australian stereotype is larger than the reality. There are always more men around than women.
I love going against the flow ... I share a (small) office with 6 women and 2 men.

The blokes are directors and rest are software development/training.

I think their cycles are all in sync but some days it is tricky to tell ...

(Back to the plot) I prefer to come in psuedo-smart (no jacket or tie ... shesh ... in this weather?!) the others tend to be smart-casual ... I suppose ... what do I know ... I'm a bloke
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I love going against the flow ... I share a (small) office with 6 women and 2 men.

The blokes are directors and rest are software development/training.

I think their cycles are all in sync but some days it is tricky to tell ...

(Back to the plot) I prefer to come in psuedo-smart (no jacket or tie ... shesh ... in this weather?!) the others tend to be smart-casual ... I suppose ... what do I know ... I'm a bloke
Aren't women very competitive? If I discovered other women in my office were cycling 'synchronously' (get it?) with me I'd be seeing red.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't women very competitive? If I discovered other women in my office were cycling 'synchronously' (get it?) with me I'd be seeing red.
They are a quirky but personable bunch actually ... I've worked with far worse blokes ....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Well hope it is true - good on her. Nothing nicer than a woman with a good figure, dress sense, and brains, to boot. I think women are too quick to put themselves down.
There's nothing wrong with knowing what positives you have to work with, but these can also be negatives too in the wrong context. Would it make everyone feel better if I pointed out a few flaws...you know... just so everyone can feel better about themselves... There's too much false humility on these forums and I'm just not that fake.

I'm not winding anyone up, just getting peed off with the sarci responses. Thank you for all those who gave genuine responses they have really helped me.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Peepster

I just hope the doorways are wide enough in Oz!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:07 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's nothing wrong with knowing what positives you have to work with, but these can also be negatives too in the wrong context. Would it make everyone feel better if I pointed out a few flaws...you know... just so everyone can feel better about themselves... There's too much false humility on these forums and I'm just not that fake.

I'm not winding anyone up, just getting peed off with the sarci responses. Thank you for all those who gave genuine responses they have really helped me.
You're boring me now.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by No 15
You're boring me now.
Oh come on you must know that the 'figure like a playboy bunny' is going to get up some peoples noses. And i'm a red blooded (married) male who appreciates a decent looking woman as much as the next man.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

I just hope the doorways are wide enough in Oz!
The original quotation is from Trinny & Susannah in their body shape bible and details the pro's and considerable cons of dressing this body shape successfully without appearing either 5 months pregnant or too burlesque. I think they go for the sexy secretary look in the end - which wouldn't help my case for a professional look By the way I'm a very short version and I've said nothing about my face... so don't feel too put out.

:P
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:35 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh come on you must know that the 'figure like a playboy bunny' is going to get up some peoples noses. And i'm a red blooded (married) male who appreciates a decent looking woman as much as the next man.
Ha ha, I bet she is a big fat lardy. Women who really do look like that rarely describe themselves as such (if they have any class they certainly don't)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.