Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Women and their clothes...

Women and their clothes...

Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women and their clothes...

Originally Posted by NickyC
I'm an IT contractor currently working for a large bank in the city.

There would be thousands of women working in my building and most wear smart skirts and blouses/tops. Some travel in jackets but I don't see many wearing them inside. You can guarantee that the only blokes wearing a jacket in the office are visiting salesmen dressing to impress. Few women wear tights during the summer but you do need a bit of a tan (real or fake) to avoid looking like you have pasty legs.

There are some seriously high heels around in the office but a lot of people seem to wear thongs or flats to actually travel in. I have a pair of ballet-type flats that I walk in and I change into heels when I get there. I see a few people on the street wearing trainers with their high-powered suits but I think it looks bloody awful and wouldn't dream of wearing them.

I'm often freezing during the day so I keep a cardi over the back of my chair to put on when the a/c is particularly bad. I just leave it there when I go home.

Friday is pretty much a universal dress-down day here in Sydney. Some people wear jeans and t-shirts but most just swap the skirts or smart trousers for a more casual pair of trousers.
Spot on, I reckon. There are tons of women who wear flats in the office too.
Most men wearing smart jackets and ties are sales staff.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by 5u5an
Yeah that's another thing, I guess with the better weather a jacket would feel too hot anyway - or do they seriously up the air-con?
They do where my wife works. She reckons she freezes during summer in the office. She puts a jacket on when she gets to work.

Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:03 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=5u5an;8396283]
Originally Posted by shears

I had a feeling about heels in QLD as my friend has had to change since moving there to keep up - hair, nails, fake tan, fake eyelashes even. If I did that here in the UK I'd be a laughing stock...neat and tidy if fine but not OTT, I'd be treated like a bimbo.

You forgot the false boobs ( I kid you not ). Lots of the females working in the Brisbane CBD wouldn't look out of place hanging about outside strip joints the way they dress here. Classy, not.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=No 15;8398221]

You forgot the false boobs ( I kid you not ). Lots of the females working in the Brisbane CBD wouldn't look out of place hanging about outside strip joints the way they dress here. Classy, not.
Interesting...some of the Melbourne CBD women are very well dressed without looking too gauche. Naturally there is a sliding scale!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Fantastic replies! Especially from NickyC who's doing exactly what I want to do. It sounds very much like here really. I wear my jacket because it's cold, or if the atmos is more casual then a cardi. I always wear trousers but am looking forward to the warmer weather so i can wear skirts and dresses again. I always commute in flats and change to heels before entering the office. Not too keen on dress down Friday as I own more work clothes than casual (how sad is that!), but it's common here too. Sounds like I'll fit in fine.

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:49 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
You can guarantee that the only blokes wearing a jacket in the office are visiting salesmen dressing to impress.
That's probably my husband
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Suits...

I remember having all these suits made about 15-20 years ago and the bastard things barely get used apart from interviews - and even then I only wear one if I think the company fancies itself as being a bit corporate - maybe a bank, or a Blue Chip.

I left an interview last year and then did a quick superhero change into comfortable clothes in the toilet before leaving - only to get a mobile call minutes later - could I come back immediately. They had a laugh to see me in mufti so quickly and offered me the job!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Suits...

I remember having all these suits made about 15-20 years ago and the bastard things barely get used apart from interviews - and even then I only wear one if I think the company fancies itself as being a bit corporate - maybe a bank, or a Blue Chip.

I left an interview last year and then did a quick superhero change into comfortable clothes in the toilet before leaving - only to get a mobile call minutes later - could I come back immediately. They had a laugh to see me in mufti so quickly and offered me the job!
lol - shows you're a well rounded individual I suppose who they'd like to go and have a drink with. Seeing people out of work is always an eye opener... one of my friends in work changed early to go to a party and I thought she was joking at first - she looked awful with a knitted cream polo-neck and green tartan calf-length skirt. She was only 30! (bit of background - we worked in a lab so I only saw the lab coat usually)

Suits are an easy uniform, like men and their shirt and tie. I have one really nice one that I wear for the interview, and then every subsequent time I wear it I'm asked if I'm off to another interview
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:12 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Did she have on Birkenstocks as well?

I hope you're a lot less shallow and self-important than you're coming across as in type or you're going to get crucified in Oz.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seasider

I hope you're a lot less shallow and self-important than you're coming across as in type or you're going to get crucified in Oz.
I don't think she's coming over as self-important at all - infact I'd expect a contractor developer to not fuss about it at all and take it in their stride!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol - shows you're a well rounded individual I suppose who they'd like to go and have a drink with. Seeing people out of work is always an eye opener... one of my friends in work changed early to go to a party and I thought she was joking at first - she looked awful with a knitted cream polo-neck and green tartan calf-length skirt. She was only 30! (bit of background - we worked in a lab so I only saw the lab coat usually)

Suits are an easy uniform, like men and their shirt and tie. I have one really nice one that I wear for the interview, and then every subsequent time I wear it I'm asked if I'm off to another interview
Not sure what the knitted cream polo/tartan skirt would look like! Sometimes women look good when they dress slightly conservatively - even staidly - especially if they have the figure and natural confidence to pull it off.

It's the same with men - what looks middle-aged on one man would look dashing /suave on another.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:18 am
Account Closed

Meow. What did she say to deserve that ?! Having a bad day are you?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:45 am
Auntie Fa

Not at all. Have you read back over the OP's posts? I think your "meow" is misdirected.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:47 am
Account Closed

Not at all. Have you read back over the OP's posts? I think your "meow" is misdirected.
Oer yes, I've just read her "classic hour glass figure trying not to be sexy post". Perhaps it's all a wind up.

Apologies Seasider.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by No 15
Oer yes, I've just read her "classic hour glass figure trying not to be sexy post". Perhaps it's all a wind up.

Apologies Seasider.
ROFL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.