Women over 40?

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:59 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Women over 40?

Originally Posted by floss
Hee, hee - just re-read my last post..... I'd REALLY love to have BEAR feet - bare feet are good, but big hairy ones with claws, now that'd shut the mothers' brigade at school up good and proper!!!!
LOL! I was thinking as I read your post, that it made you sound like a Hobbit

And how is life in 'The Shire' these days? Are there many good NEXT sales?

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:19 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

This thread makes fascinating reading, & good luck to all you ladies for your plans once you get to Au. Keep us posted on how it works out!

Just to add another perspective, I'm doing the same type of job I did in the UK (and before that, in the US and Europe). This is by choice, because, despite the usual aggro that you get with any job, I enjoy giving my brain a good work-out each day and find what I do satisfying. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

I've found the different work culture in Au a mix of frustrating and liberating, but overall, have been able to rejoice in the difference. Among the good things are the many 'morning teas', project lunches, BBQs and other celebrations, held during the working day, that we simply never had time for in the UK workplace. There are plenty of intelligent & humorous women where I work, so haven't had to endure a conversation about tupperware, cookery or kids' clothing, at all, ever! For instance, last Thursday we had a hiliarious conversation about what Harry Potter would have been like if it had been written by Jane Austen - am still aching from the laughter.

So plenty of choices here: do what you do now, but in a different culture, or try something new!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 1:03 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anya4oz
This thread makes fascinating reading, & good luck to all you ladies for your plans once you get to Au. Keep us posted on how it works out!

Just to add another perspective, I'm doing the same type of job I did in the UK (and before that, in the US and Europe). This is by choice, because, despite the usual aggro that you get with any job, I enjoy giving my brain a good work-out each day and find what I do satisfying. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

I've found the different work culture in Au a mix of frustrating and liberating, but overall, have been able to rejoice in the difference. Among the good things are the many 'morning teas', project lunches, BBQs and other celebrations, held during the working day, that we simply never had time for in the UK workplace. There are plenty of intelligent & humorous women where I work, so haven't had to endure a conversation about tupperware, cookery or kids' clothing, at all, ever! For instance, last Thursday we had a hiliarious conversation about what Harry Potter would have been like if it had been written by Jane Austen - am still aching from the laughter.

So plenty of choices here: do what you do now, but in a different culture, or try something new!

Cheers,
Anya.
I second that! Much of my job involves similar tasks to my old job in the UK, but in a very different environment (tertiary education instead of central govt). Every day I'm learning something about the way things work over here, using my experience to figure out how to deal with new people and situations, making mistakes here and there and learning from them. Morning tea is a revelation to me - we chat about all sorts of things and you get to know colleagues in a different light. Found out recently my line mgr is a mad Lord of the Rings fan like me, and he's got Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights on video (will have to borrow that sometime). He was really pleased I've heard of Peter Kay as no-one else had.

However I also planned to do some other things to expand my horizons when I got here, and this thread has reminded me I've let that slip.

So thanks everyone for inspiring me to get off my backside and get cracking - if you can all change your lives so can I.

Here's to the future and whatever it brings!!

Elaine M
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:56 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Elaine M

So thanks everyone for inspiring me to get off my backside and get cracking - if you can all change your lives so can I.

Elaine M
Very funny of you to put "backside" and "cracking" in the same sentence
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:36 am
Badge

Cheers,
Anya.
One of the secrets about Australia is discovering the culture I find. I find myself bumping into all sorts of singers, theatre bods its not all footy and floaties. Then my wife is an ex professional dancer with a ballet company. There is something for everyone. I like sport and culture - unless it is going around a museun looking at EVERYTHING lol. Melbourne is the way to go if you want a healthy mix but alot of the euro culture is closer in to the city and or in established neighbourhoods.

badge

Last edited by Badge; Jul 24th 2005 at 9:39 am.

Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:44 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Very funny of you to put "backside" and "cracking" in the same sentence
Awwww Anne,

You spotted the secret message!

Elaine M
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:18 am

I'm feeling much better today everybody, you will be glad to know
Thanks for all your kind words and support yesterday, you really are a great bunch of people to know.

Must be a hormone thing at my time of life. Ha ha. The panel doctor called a "woman of a certain age"! He was lucky I didn't poke his eye out
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Go girls I admire your spirit

Its more about changing yourself than country tho as Hevs said OZ has a very scary housewife mentality :scared: can just imagine you lot trying to break free in a country where women still wash up, collect tupperware, bake cake, and get the men a beer
You do get them everywhere I suppose. Just attend a school function and watch them crawl out the woodwork But they are not all like that. I do not have a single Aussie work friend who collects Tupperware, bakes cakes or who brings her men beer. I suppose they exist, but not where I hang out! The only women I know at work who have the washing up problem are young women living with Aussie blokes. The older, married women (moi included) keep telling them; "Train your men young." but they don't listen

You are right about the fact that it's more about changing yourself than your country. For some it's just easier to change in a new place where they do not have all these familial EXPECTATIONS hovering over them constantly.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Anne!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Pleased you are feeling bette Anne. We are all entitled to days like that. Thing is, i'm at the stage where i dont know if its pre menstrual, pre menopausal, or pre dementia
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Pleased you are feeling bette Anne. We are all entitled to days like that. Thing is, i'm at the stage where i dont know if its pre menstrual, pre menopausal, or pre dementia
I'm passed pre dementia. I think I have gone full circle and I'm now pre natal again

Love you new avatar
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

I'm passed pre dementia. I think I have gone full circle and I'm now pre natal again

Love you new avatar

Thanks Ann.

It reminded me of the days when when the only thing that moved when i ran anywhere was the the boobies. Alas no more I look like a jelly on a plate
Old Jul 24th 2005, 2:24 pm
Merlot

I'm feeling much better today everybody, you will be glad to know
Thanks for all your kind words and support yesterday, you really are a great bunch of people to know.

Must be a hormone thing at my time of life. Ha ha. The panel doctor called a "woman of a certain age"! He was lucky I didn't poke his eye out
Anne honey, so glad you are feeling chipper today Isn't this Forum great at times of stress and unhappiness, lots of good supportive people from all walks of life. This has been a great, positive thread.

M

Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:02 pm
Banned

Monkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really niceMonkeyrillas is just really nice

Originally Posted by G'Day
Justin, you've had some good pointers already. I do sometimes make a lame-duck excuse, but generally I just say - when someone puts me on the spot; " Let me get back to you on that." and then later, when I've thought it through and I've decided I really don't want to do it, I'll give them a call and say. "Sorry, but I really have to say no."

You are not obliged to explain to others how you use your time and energy.

It does also become easier with practice, so try saying it a few times and see what happens.
Thank you
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:47 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of intelligent & humorous women where I work, so haven't had to endure a conversation about tupperware, cookery or kids' clothing, at all, ever! .
Ouch
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:31 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by hevs
Ouch
Yeah, I know I'm really missing out, but there it is....

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.