Reload this Page >

'Wogs' now acceptable

'Wogs' now acceptable

Old Oct 21st 2004, 4:15 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Wogs' now acceptable

Originally Posted by almor
The word "wog" is an abbreviation of "golliwog". Golliwogs were, in past years, acceptable toys for young children. They were stereotypical black skinned rag dolls with large round heads, bulging eyes, and large red lips.
Thanks for your further clarification, Almor, that's what I wanted to know: the origin of the word
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:18 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Athena
Thanks for your further clarification, Almor, that's what I wanted to know: the origin of the word

They even have a website on Wogs.

http://www.wog.com.au/article_main.asp?ArticleId=170
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:27 pm
Badge

I would be worried if I wasn't called a Pom from time to time.

On the rare occasions it has been used to address me, it has been from good mates or blokes who are obviously being friendly.

BM

Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:31 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge
I would be worried if I wasn't called a Pom from time to time.

On the rare occasions it has been used to address me, it has been from good mates or blokes who are obviously being friendly.

BM
Hows the holiday going my little Pommy mate. Are you missing the "Badge Estate" yet ???
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:21 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Checked out Woglife website. I rest my case. It doesn't seem to be the nicest of sites.

Originally Posted by Bordy
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:54 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find the word Pom offensive and use it myself. If paired with 'whinging' or 'bastard' then I would. I think its a bit rich for white British people to consider that they could suffer any form of racial discrimination.

I don't like the word Wog. As British born I associate this word with being similar to 'nigger', though that is how it used I believe it derives from Western Oriental Gentleman. If so then that is how it is used in Oz, to identify people from the likes of Greece, Italy and Turkey.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that communities can reclaim such words but that it is unreasonable for people outside of those communities to use them. Use of the word 'nigger' within the black communty is very different to its use by white people in reference to black people.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I have no need to use the word and I find it is used by the ignorant who like to lump all southern mediteraneans into one group. I doubt HR would like the use of the word and there are those around who find it offensive.

I also find I don't need to use the word. Sites like woglife are funny but when the used by Anglos the term is mainly used in a derogative manner.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 10:56 am
Raindancer

Originally Posted by Bordy
Thanks for the link, Bordy, I think??? ... I must say I found it interesting and odd at the same time... can't really say I liked it, though... it seems to me like it just digs a deeper chasm between cultures, rather than overcome it.

I believe I can uphold my cultural background without isolating myself from the rest of the community... and using someone else's derogatory label to define myself would sound to me like sour grapes, to tell it all... I mean, are they serious???
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Wogs, Poms, Dings have always been acceptable, its just all the politcal correct bullshit that some people go on about. If I have something derogative to say, dont worry, I will tell you.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:14 am

I am at a bit of a loss to know why these words have always been acceptable. To who?????????? Primarily the people who use them and won't have anybody undermine their 'freedom' to use just about whatever language they want. After all "It's a free country isn't it"

Political Correctness is just not the same as respecting diversity, cultural differences, basic human respect for other people. There really isn't a problem talking about other people form different cultures in a decent way. I'm sure the majority of black people are absolutely fine with being called black, afro-carribean or whatever. But no, we need to make up other words to group them.

We can all have get involved in a bit of stereotyping with close friends (if that's what takes your fancy), but lets keep these 'pet names' for people who are absolutely comfortable with it, and not presume that it's OK for everyone. Personally if the blokes name is Dave, I'd rather call him Dave than a wog, a ding or something else equally distasteful.

Cheers

Steve

Originally Posted by Siren
Wogs, Poms, Dings have always been acceptable, its just all the politcal correct bullshit that some people go on about. If I have something derogative to say, dont worry, I will tell you.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:23 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevereed
I am at a bit of a loss to know why these words have always been acceptable. To who?????????? Primarily the people who use them and won't have anybody undermine their 'freedom' to use just about whatever language they want. After all "It's a free country isn't it"

Political Correctness is just not the same as respecting diversity, cultural differences, basic human respect for other people. There really isn't a problem talking about other people form different cultures in a decent way. I'm sure the majority of black people are absolutely fine with being called black, afro-carribean or whatever. But no, we need to make up other words to group them.

We can all have get involved in a bit of stereotyping with close friends (if that's what takes your fancy), but lets keep these 'pet names' for people who are absolutely comfortable with it, and not presume that it's OK for everyone. Personally if the blokes name is Dave, I'd rather call him Dave than a wog, a ding or something else equally distasteful.

Cheers

Steve

Thats the thing they dont find it distasteful.....

you dont go saying to people "Hi wog" but its he is a wog.... just like im an aussie... just like your a pom (pressuming) just like the Americans are yanks.

If I wanted to say something disrespectful I would say you a f'ing wanker.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:24 am
Raindancer

Ok, let's make a deal: when you want to call me something derogative, call me "Wog", when you want to call me something endearing, call me "Ding"... so I'll unerstand if I have to kiss you or kick you!

Anyway, thinking about it, cultural labels are not the first thing I think of when I want to insult someone... When I feel the need to do that, it's because of the person's own... er... merits???
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Athena
Ok, let's make a deal: when you want to call me something derogative, call me "Wog", when you want to call me something endearing, call me "Ding"... so I'll unerstand if I have to kiss you or kick you!

Anyway, thinking about it, cultural labels are not the first thing I think of when I want to insult someone... When I feel the need to do that, it's because of the person's own... er... merits???

So your a wog and ding.... you born on the border?
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

you dont go saying to people "Hi wog" but its he is a wog.... just like im an aussie... just like your a pom (pressuming) just like the Americans are yanks.

are you speaking as a 'wog' Siren? I'm just curious. Steve's earlier comments are without doubt valid...that it's context and delivey combined that determine whether it is acceptable to a 'wog' to be called a wog.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:36 am

Hi:

assuming you are Brian, I obviously take it that you aren't calling me a f'ing w****r. It's an interesting thread to get ones head round other people's mindsets. I can't ever think of an occasion when I would need to say he / she's a ??????. If I couldn't remember someones name I guess I may say "the italian woman, the black guy etc etc. I'd refer to you as 'the Australian bloke', can't remember his name :-)

I guess you can say what you want (to an extent) in public, but in the workplace one's very likely to be on a disciplinary charge for using words like that. right or wrong, that's the way it is these days.

And how is is possible to confirm that 'they' don't find it distasteful? It'd need to be a pretty big survey

Cheers

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.