Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Will your UK TV work in Australia ? - yes, it might

Will your UK TV work in Australia ? - yes, it might

Old Apr 18th 2002, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will your UK TV work in Australia ? - yes, it might

A number of messages have been posted on this board stating that UK TV sets will NOT receive Australian terrestrial broadcasts (different sound carrier frequency).

Well, it's not all doom and gloom because it seems that most half-decent modern sets will work equally well in Australia. Most modern TV sets I've come across support PAL-B/G as well as PAL-I.

I'm waiting for a response from Toshiba re my particular TV so I'll keep you posted when I have an answer.

Of course if you subscribe to satellite or cable when in Australia then it won't matter if you have just a PAL-I UK set anyway cos you won't be using its tuner.
Old Apr 18th 2002, 11:00 pm
Mallysutton

Default Re: Will your UK TV work in Australia ? - yes, it might

Hi, just read your post and we brought our T.V over from the U.K and it works fine,
no problems, and funnily enough its a Toshiba,

Good luck, karen "etlniwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > A number of messages have been posted on this board stating that UK TV sets will
    > NOT receive Australian terrestrial broadcasts (different sound carrier frequency).
    >
    > Well, it's not all doom and gloom because it seems that most half-decent modern
    > sets will work equally well in Australia. Most modern TV sets I've come across
    > support PAL-B/G as well as PAL-I.
    >
    > I'm waiting for a response from Toshiba re my particular TV so I'll keep you posted
    > when I have an answer.
    >
    > Of course if you subscribe to satellite or cable when in Australia then it won't
    > matter if you have just a PAL-I UK set anyway cos you won't be using its tuner.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 19th 2002, 4:00 pm
Thunder Ace

"mallysutton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<1019171718.234149@angelina>...
    > Hi, just read your post and we brought our T.V over from the U.K and it works fine,
    > no problems, and funnily enough its a Toshiba,
    >
    > Good luck, karen "etlniwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A number of messages have been posted on this board stating that UK TV sets will
    > > NOT receive Australian terrestrial broadcasts (different sound carrier
    > > frequency).
    > >
    > > Well, it's not all doom and gloom because it seems that most half-decent modern
    > > sets will work equally well in Australia. Most modern TV sets I've come across
    > > support PAL-B/G as well as PAL-I.
    > >
    > > I'm waiting for a response from Toshiba re my particular TV so I'll keep you
    > > posted when I have an answer.
    > >
    > > Of course if you subscribe to satellite or cable when in Australia then it won't
    > > matter if you have just a PAL-I UK set anyway cos you won't be using its tuner.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

I don't think I will take my TVs. I've got two of them and the content on both is
absolute rubbish. I don't want to watch the same old garbage in Australia. I'll buy a
new TV with better programmes when I get there.

Thunder Ace

Old Apr 19th 2002, 8:30 pm
Monty

[email protected] (Thunder Ace) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > "mallysutton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<1019171718.234149@angelina>...
    > > Hi, just read your post and we brought our T.V over from the U.K and it works
    > > fine, no problems, and funnily enough its a Toshiba,
    > >
    > > Good luck, karen "etlniwd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > A number of messages have been posted on this board stating that UK TV sets
    > > > will NOT receive Australian terrestrial broadcasts (different sound carrier
    > > > frequency).
    > > >
    > > > Well, it's not all doom and gloom because it seems that most half-decent modern
    > > > sets will work equally well in Australia. Most modern TV sets I've come across
    > > > support PAL-B/G as well as PAL-I.
    > > >
    > > > I'm waiting for a response from Toshiba re my particular TV so I'll keep you
    > > > posted when I have an answer.
    > > >
    > > > Of course if you subscribe to satellite or cable when in Australia then it
    > > > won't matter if you have just a PAL-I UK set anyway cos you won't be using its
    > > > tuner.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >
    > I don't think I will take my TVs. I've got two of them and the content on both is
    > absolute rubbish. I don't want to watch the same old garbage in Australia. I'll buy
    > a new TV with better programmes when I get there.
    >
    > Thunder Ace

Hi

What is the cost for cable TV ?

Thanks

Old Apr 22nd 2002, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

timsorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
As etlniwd suggests, you need to check if your UK TV supports "PAL B/G" instead of the usual PAL I.

It's not just the sound, in some cases you can't get the picture either. Here's the detail:

PAL I, used in the UK, is 625 lines, UHF

PAL G is 625 lines UHF but with a different audio frequency. Most channels in Oz are PAL G, so an older UK TV and even some quite modern ones will only display the picture. A cheap modification can be made to get the sound working in your UK VCR or UK TV by a TV engineer in the know.

PAL B is 625 lines, VHF with the same audio frequency as PAL G. If you move to an area in OZ like Brisbane, (but not the Gold Coast), where some TV channels are VHF, then your standard PAL I UK TV won't get these channels at all, and modification is really out of the question.

If your TV is "multisystem" (Panasonic and Grundig make some), then it should support all of the PAL formats, and also SECAM and NTSC.

Regardless, you can still use your UK TV by connecting to an Australian VCR (available cheaply as low as $199), and connect it to your TV using a/v cables such as Scart, composite or S Video cable, and you quickly get used to having to use two remotes - one for the tv for volume and one for the vcr for the channels. If you get cable, satellite or an Australian games system over here, these will all work fine too as long as you connect using these a/v cables. If you instead tried to connect using the normal ariel lead and tune in, you will not get the sound unless you have had the TV modified.

If however your TV does not have any audio/Video or Scart sockets on the back, i.e. it ONLY has an ariel lead - then I would definitely not recommend bringing it, and it will have zero resale value here. You might consider bringing it if you intend ONLY to connect it up to a UK games system or perhaps a UK VCR for playing tapes only.

Note, IF you are buying a DVD player - DVDs and DVD players bought in England are Region code2. DVDs and DVD players bought in Australia are region code4. (region 1 for USA). Although the TV systems are the same for UK and Australia, the DVD player will not allow you to play a disc from a different region - and most shops will neglect to tell you that discs from another country won't play. DVDs are cheaper out here by the way! The answer is to have a modified player that is "Region Code Free" or "Region select / auto select" or "All regions". Just don't buy a player that is locked on one region! which is what most retail stores will only sell. Many players can be modified, which no doubt affects warranty and costs around £60-£100 I think. Much easier to buy a code free or selectable region player - and sometimes the very cheapest players from Hong Kong or Taiwan are code free. But you can get upmarket players like Pioneer or Sony that are region free as well by purchasing mail order - just search for "code free dvd" on the net.

I've got various info up at http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au
Tim
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 12:00 pm
Pread

Etlniwd,

We have a Philips 32 inch Widescrren 32PW9544, bought in Germany, and intend to bring
it out to Melbourne. Now I'm confident that we could run a signal through a video or
cable box, but I think the TV might already be multi system. Here's the link to the
specifications .pdf on the Philips website :

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...ownloads/en_32
pw9544_lft.pdf

It says : Colour Transmission Systems Off-air:/05M, /12M, /19M, /58M: PAL B/G/I +
SECAM B/G/L/L*/D/K and it also mentions VHF & UHF channels.

Does this sound like I could receive audio & video direct to the TV ? I think this
would help the eventual resale value.

Cheers, Paul.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
Jaj

http://www.foxtel.com.au is one provider.

>
    >
    >Hi
    >
    >
    >What is the cost for cable TV ?
    >
    >
    >Thanks

Old Jul 8th 2002, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Gezza_DownUnder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Anyone know if my UK Toshiba DVB (in-built) TV will work with Australian DVB broardcasts (Terrestrial)

I would imagine that the sound and frequency problems discussed in other parts of this forum would not be an issue with DV broardcasts.........

I'll be able to advise you all next month an mine is deep inside a container enroute to Melbourne.

(Unless, its fallen off the ship and is making its own way over here!!!!)

Regards

D:
Old Jul 8th 2002, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Wannastay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

What is the cost for cable TV ?

Thanks
[/B]
i pay about $60 per month for satelite, its about the same for cable. go to optus, cos if you use the internet a lot as well, then get a combined ADSL / Cable TV deal from them (but check if you can get cable - other side of my street can, but I cannot !!!).

re: do t.v's work ? I brought over a new Sony Trinitron - had to route it through an Australian VCR, and that solved tuning / audio problems. however, there are faint green patches on either side of the screen, caused ( i am lead to believe) by a small difference in the voltage / current used over here. To be honest, it isnt that noticeable after a while. Technologically, the Australians are not exactly up there with the UK, and you pay an extortionate amount for what we would consider a mid-range television (about $3,000 for a semi-decent TV). My advice...if your TV is a good 'un, bring it over.