Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:33 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Originally Posted by BLC
Folks we need to take a good long hard look at ourselves and the behaviours over the last few weeks, we have lost and are losing so many posters it is not funny.

The level of aggression to each other is astounding to say the least, are we human beings?

I have to say the heart and soul has just gone from this place by bullying tactics and lack of respect.

It's just gone too far in my eyes, to the Forum's loss and to those on their life journey who need support and guidance.

A sad day
From my own personal experience of being a BE virgin, it doesn't take many rude replies to put you off posting again. It took me ages to get up the gumption to post for the 1st time. The majority of the replies I got whilst not necessarily agreeing with me were still friendly in tone and some positively buoyed me up and made the whole living in a new strange land a bit more bearable. But there were enough just plain rude and very immature replies to put me off ever posting again. The childish replies did also make me wonder what kind of people were actually using the forum. Luckily the good posts outweighed the bad and the karma (which I don’t agree with incidentally) did serve to make me feel as though my opinions whilst distatefull to some were still appreciated by many. The PM’s also reinforced the good side of the forum.

As I’ve said before it does only take a couple of very immature but loud mouthed individuals to put people off posting. This I have 1st hand as the number of PM’s I’ve had indicating a good supply of more sensible people lurking but not posting and the reason they don’t post is the risk of a bad reply. I suppose it’s the same as being afraid to ask a girl out for the 1st time for fear of being rejected.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
This I have 1st hand as the number of PM’s I’ve had indicating a good supply of more sensible people lurking but not posting and the reason they don’t post is the risk of a bad reply.
I think the sub-text of what you're saying here isn't actually 'sensible', but 'thinking the same way I do'. For instance, I replied to a thread a while back about the closet racism I'd seen emerging from some posters, and I received a good five karma posts and other PMs from people saying "Glad you said that, I didn't have the nerve." I'm sure other people, with different attitudes to me, have applauded others for the exact closet racism I'm talking about. Not suggest that's you, incidentally, just making a point about seeing eye-to-eye with someone isn't the same as them being posting 'bad' replies.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:45 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Well spoken BLC, this is why I left this forum last year, as I was sick of being put down at every opportunity from certain members of this forum, I posted before I came to Australia then when I arrived I thought I would post and try to be helpful for the one's yet to come, but with so many negative replies to my posts and threads I gave up and didn't come on for a long time. I came back a few months ago and started to post again, but I see nothing has changed, a few new names and faces but still the same crap attitudes from a lot, anything positive you have to post on here is always turned to a negative. I am coming on less again as I just feel it's a complete waste of time, why should I bother to help and assist people on here with their new life, when I could be out enjoying mine. I feel sorry for the people on here that really want the help, as the idiots are driving the decent one's away

Lisa
Lisa

Please don't stop posting your positive threads as I really enjoy reading them. When you're stuck here in the UK waiting for something (anything) to progress it gives you a reason to carry on.

However for all you cynics out there, this doesn't mean I don't want to hear about the negative points of living in Australia. It would be foolish not to want to know of the bad experiences and I enjoy reading these posts as well.

However I get sick of hearing from people who feel they have the right to say I shouldn't even go to Australia in the first place and set out to be plain nasty and insulting.

I completely agree that occasionally a comment can be taken the wrong way as we're not all going to share the same sense of humour, but there is no mistaking the fact that there have been some full on attacks on the forum lately.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:50 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

What did I miss? Maybe it is because I am only half-heartedly getting involved on here at the moment while I am fed up with the house sale problems that I don't actually recall seeing anything particularly inflammatory for a while.

Having said that, whether it is a reasoned debate on a touchy subject or just plain daftness I enjoy the odd spat ( I actually miss Sher Khan!)

If there have been personal attacks then I don't condone those at all.

But on the whole aren't we all getting our knickers in a twist? Most Aussies I have met like to dish out insults (mostly in jest) so I see it as a toughening up exercise.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The A Team
I've been ignored many times on the forum..........sometimes I just feel invisible. I'm mostly sending PM's and emails to a handful of people now and just join in the less controversial threads. Life is stressful enough at the moment with trying to sell the house, business and get the visa, without feeling bullied or ignored
You've been noticed
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:56 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

If people want to argue they can do it by PM or go into take it outside.

If people want to post crap and have a laugh they can go in the lounge.

If people want to talk sport we have the locker room.

This Australia forum has become a forum for all the above.

The mods can't be about all the time they do have lives, although they do support crap football teams.

This place should for the discussion of lettuce, mushy peas, kebabs, washing powder, white goods and so on and so on
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:57 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

[But on the whole aren't we all getting our knickers in a twist? Most Aussies I have met like to dish out insults (mostly in jest) so I see it as a toughening up exercise.[/QUOTE]

I think there is a huge difference between dishing out insults in jest and making personal attacks just because you don't agree with the poster.

I get insulted and sworn at on a daily basis at work. I choose to rise above although if needed I dish out with the best of them. When I insult or take the p*** out of my friends it is done in a good natured way and anyway I only take the mickey out of people I like.

Suzy
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

Its quite disheartening to take a lot of time and trouble to do long post only to be totally ignored. Happens to me all the time. I am obviously too boring to reply to.
I dont get bullied because i wont allow myself to be, but i sometimes think that stops people replying to my posts too. Maybe "quieter" members think i'm too assertive. I dont know, but theres been a lot of subjects i would like to join in, but cant be bothered to spend time writing for it all to be washed away on someone elses glory.
It won't let me karma you
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walla1
If people want to argue they can do it by PM or go into take it outside.

If people want to post crap and have a laugh they can go in the lounge.

If people want to talk sport we have the locker room.

This Australia forum has become a forum for all the above.

The mods can't be about all the time they do have lives, although they do support crap football teams.

This place should for the discussion of lettuce, mushy peas, kebabs, washing powder, white goods and so on and so on
*ahem*

And while you are here wallaroo!! i'm fed up of being the ignored girlie in the cricket threads! Just coz i'm a girl dont mean i dont know what i'm talking about!............... so there

pass me my dummy please i spat it across the room
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by G'Day
It won't let me karma you

Just typical!! cant even get karma points now

right.. taking my ball. not playing no more.

P.S thanks its the thought that counts
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:02 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I must be missing something big that is flying straight over my head cos I just haven't noticed all this aggro.
Same here. I seem to have missed it all (no idea there was trouble with Phoenix).

I don't read every thread that gets posted here. And if I click on one and then consider it to be a stupid/mindless argument I just ignore that thread from there on.

Then there are a couple of ppl on here I really can't stand. I came to that view a while ago, and I now ignore everything they post - it is really easy. One of them sent me an objectionable PM not long ago: I just hit the "delete" button - easy.

Same as on TV: I am always surprised to read ppl complaining in the TV magazine about this or that programme. Have these ppl not heard of the "off switch"?

So, that's my point: if you don't like someone's viewpoint or a particular argument here in the forum - ignore it. Same as the comment someone made about newspapers: I've never read "News of the World" (or whatever they are called) but I'm not getting bent out of shape just because they are allowed to print stories.

Life's too short.

Gina
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:04 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
*ahem*

And while you are here wallaroo!! i'm fed up of being the ignored girlie in the cricket threads! Just coz i'm a girl dont mean i dont know what i'm talking about!............... so there

pass me my dummy please i spat it across the room
I'm sure I responded to your one post.

and that's just because I thought you were a bloke

only kidding!!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:05 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G'Day
You've been noticed
sounds like ATeam has a stalker! :scared:
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:06 am
ABCDiamond

But what happens when one person pays $3 for a lettuce and then gets pee'd off when someone else posts that they can get it for 69cents

Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm sure I responded to your one post.

and that's just because I thought you were a bloke

only kidding!!

Do i look like a bloke to you? look to your left.. i have a spare pair of glasses here when you're ready

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.