Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:34 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Why Are So Many Going Or Not Posting?

Originally Posted by Simone
I don't see the point of deleting ones account
Hi Simone

I think the idea of deleting the account yourself, is to force yourself into a position of not being able to come on again, other than by signing on under a new name

That actually sounds like a very good idea at times

Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hi Simone

I think the idea of deleting the account yourself, is to force yourself into a position of not being able to come on again, other than by signing on under a new name

That actually sounds like a very good idea at times
Yeah, for me too!

But as I said, I'd still come on here and read everything.... and then probably just make another account in the end...

And I don't want to leave permanently, to many nice people on here, and I do sometimes like helping someone.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:47 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BLC
Folks we need to take a good long hard look at ourselves and the behaviours over the last few weeks, we have lost and are losing so many posters it is not funny.

The level of aggression to each other is astounding to say the least, are we human beings?

I have to say the heart and soul has just gone from this place by bullying tactics and lack of respect.

It's just gone too far in my eyes, to the Forum's loss and to those on their life journey who need support and guidance.

A sad day
I am not trying to pick a fight here mate but you have only registered this month, hang around a bit and you will see plenty of fights and steady times.
There have been many characters here over the years, you might of heard of PB or Wilf, dotty, WBB or many of the other people who made this forum what it is today, they are kind of the pioneers of this site and none of them are around anymore. Things change. Cycles are the go.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:50 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Simone
First of all, I've spent way to much time on the forum over the last 2 years.
I now read less posts(try to avoid the long ones, ones that could be arguments), so that means I post less, which gets me less emails in my inbox saying someone's replied to a thread, which means that I don't go onto the forum as much.

You can turn off the email notifications in your options. You can then go into "My Profile" at your leisure to check whether there's been any posts in the threads that you are interested/posted in.

A
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:15 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
You can turn off the email notifications in your options. You can then go into "My Profile" at your leisure to check whether there's been any posts in the threads that you are interested/posted in.

A
Yep, I know, but thanks
I like having it on, otherwise I can forget about threads.
I'm trying to solve the sickness, not do away with the symptoms....errrrrrrr.... sort of.... something

Now I'm posting less, I get way less emails, especially if they're not 'heated' threads.

Oh, and I'm a bit busier at work, that's helping. And my parents and brother were staying with us the last weeks, that's given me less time on computer too....
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:26 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I joined this forum in June and was pretty shocked that one of my early postings (and it was a fairly sensible query) was answered rather spitefully by an 'old' poster. It became apparent with a few exceptions that this 'old' poster seemed to be well liked although not by people I can relate to really well.

Thankfully I stuck with it (although I felt like leaving right away) and have found alot of lovely helpful people on here.

That doesn't stop me agreeing with BLC that there is some 'playground bullying' going on and it always seems to be the same people making the nasty comments. By all means don't stifle a good debate but personal attacks are out of order. Perhaps now that the 'silly season' is over this forum will be a nicer place to be.

Suzy
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:27 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
I joined this forum in June and was pretty shocked that one of my early postings (and it was a fairly sensible query) was answered rather spitefully by an 'old' poster. It became apparent with a few exceptions that this 'old' poster seemed to be well liked although not by people I can relate to really well.

Thankfully I stuck with it (although I felt like leaving right away) and have found alot of lovely helpful people on here.

That doesn't stop me agreeing with BLC that there is some 'playground bullying' going on and it always seems to be the same people making the nasty comments. By all means don't stifle a good debate but personal attacks are out of order. Perhaps now that the 'silly season' is over this forum will be a nicer place to be.

Suzy
Let's hope so Suzy, But I am sure their is no malicious intent
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:34 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Nooo! ..... wot IS goin on??

I must admit, last night I was considering 'timing out' from the forum for a while. I've upset a few people with either my 'constant' showing pictures of how wonderful Oz was for me, or for 'altering' other peoples pictures! (people in person actually found it funny I must add). This is in 'the Lounge' so maybe you ain't a clue what I'm on about! ...lol, but either way I've had a real bad vibe from the forum lately! ...

Maybe just a 'phase' but one I must admit I feel a tad uncomfortable with at times.
I know what you mean... there is defo something going on.... its almost like there is an influx of trolls making this their patch or something
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I've really enjoyed this thread. Especially since I've been on both ends of this issue before.

In the end I think one should allow the other person to "leave" the thread, then return and get on with life. There are many people who post here with whom I have, at one time or another, had nicely heated debates. Viva La differance! But then we have also sent each other Karma at times or given support when a very good post was posted at a later stage.

People WILL disagree, but to me it only gets hairy when a poster stalks me from one thread to another bashing me for weeks at a time :scared: over one debate we had ages ago.

I once put someone on "ignore" (and called them a potty mouth) because I didn't like the language they were using during a debate we had. I was stalked for months afterwards by this poster and their friends and received a lot of crappy PM's and other stuff. Many decent threads on this forum and others were hijacked by these posters for personal venting against me because I'd made the mistake of posting something (that had nothing to do with them or the issue we'd had) on those threads. I finally went away for a while until they found someone else to torment. I think this is the point where it gets to be rediculous and where many people pack up & leave.

Last edited by G'Day; Aug 31st 2005 at 7:38 am.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
I've really enjoyed this thread. Especially since I've been on both ends of this issue before.

In the end I think one should allow the other person to "leave" the thread, then return and get on with life. There are many people who post here with whom I have, at one time or another, had nicely heated debates. But then many of them, and I, have also sent each other Karma or given support when a very good post was posted at a later stage.

People WILL disagree, but to me it only gets hairy when a poster stalks me from one thread to another bashing me for weeks at a time :scared: over one debate we had ages ago.

I once put someone on "ignore" (and called them a potty mouth) because I didn't like the language they were using during a debate we had. I was stalked for months afterwards by this poster and their friends and received a lot of crappy PM's and other stuff. Many decent threads on this forum and others were hijacked by these posters for personal venting against me because I'd made the mistake of posting something (that had nothing to do with them or the issue we'd had) on those threads. I finally went away for a while until they found someone else to torment. I think this is the point where it gets to be rediculous and where many people pack up & leave.

Heres hoping G'day.

I feel that a lot of people that do attack others on a personal level, are doing so as a form of projected Anger

Which is probably way safer than having a go at the underlying issue in their lives that needs to be resolved.

There would be very few of the personal snipers that would do it face to face thats for sure.

I wonder how long this BBS, will stay bully free though.

Great to see you again G'day

Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Heres hoping G'day.

I feel that a lot of people that do attack others on a personal level, are doing so as a form of projected Anger

Which is probably way safer than having a go at the underlying issue in their lives that needs to be resolved.

There would be very few of the personal snipers that would do it face to face thats for sure.

I wonder how long this BBS, will stay bully free though.

Great to see you again G'day

Great to see you again too!

You're very right in your observations. They also tend to be of the variety who can dish it out, but can't take it themselves, which is probably why they hunt in packs
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:01 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember some people here have said they wouldnt post again as they were ticked off with the clichs that seem to form here. I , myself , stopped posting for a while due to this. You could post and no one would reply and then a little later the same thing would be posted and , presto, heaps of replies. Some newbies felt left out.
So it is not just aggressive posts that drive people away.Some people stop as they seem to just be ignored.
Personally it has been awhile since i have seen aposter being "hounded" i.e any thing they posted would be jumped on. Usually it is a post or a thread that gets the treatment not a person. And some people do "fight" back and then wonder why the thread gets out of hand.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BLC
Folks we need to take a good long hard look at ourselves and the behaviours over the last few weeks, we have lost and are losing so many posters it is not funny.

The level of aggression to each other is astounding to say the least, are we human beings?

I have to say the heart and soul has just gone from this place by bullying tactics and lack of respect.

It's just gone too far in my eyes, to the Forum's loss and to those on their life journey who need support and guidance.

A sad day

Well spoken BLC, this is why I left this forum last year, as I was sick of being put down at every opportunity from certain members of this forum, I posted before I came to Australia then when I arrived I thought I would post and try to be helpful for the one's yet to come, but with so many negative replies to my posts and threads I gave up and didn't come on for a long time. I came back a few months ago and started to post again, but I see nothing has changed, a few new names and faces but still the same crap attitudes from a lot, anything positive you have to post on here is always turned to a negative. I am coming on less again as I just feel it's a complete waste of time, why should I bother to help and assist people on here with their new life, when I could be out enjoying mine. I feel sorry for the people on here that really want the help, as the idiots are driving the decent one's away

Lisa

Last edited by floweroscotland; Aug 31st 2005 at 8:15 am.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:12 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Also remember some people here have said they wouldnt post again as they were ticked off with the clichs that seem to form here. I , myself , stopped posting for a while due to this. You could post and no one would reply and then a little later the same thing would be posted and , presto, heaps of replies. Some newbies felt left out.
So it is not just aggressive posts that drive people away.Some people stop as they seem to just be ignored.
Personally it has been awhile since i have seen aposter being "hounded" i.e any thing they posted would be jumped on. Usually it is a post or a thread that gets the treatment not a person. And some people do "fight" back and then wonder why the thread gets out of hand.
I've been ignored many times on the forum..........sometimes I just feel invisible. I'm mostly sending PM's and emails to a handful of people now and just join in the less controversial threads. Life is stressful enough at the moment with trying to sell the house, business and get the visa, without feeling bullied or ignored
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:16 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The A Team
I've been ignored many times on the forum..........sometimes I just feel invisible. I'm mostly sending PM's and emails to a handful of people now and just join in the less controversial threads. Life is stressful enough at the moment with trying to sell the house, business and get the visa, without feeling bullied or ignored
I dont think it's a case of being ignored, just that sometimes there's loads of posts to read and I guess it's human nature sometimes to pick out the ones started by people you know and are familiar with if you've not got much time.

Will send you some "i'm not invisible" k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.