Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why so many "gated communities"??

Why so many "gated communities"??

Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Why so many "gated communities"??

Thank you all so much for your responses, I suppose being in the UK and not "living in oz" you can only go on perceptions and I (we) had formed the wrong ones based on the frequency of houses we looked at being in a "community".

There is no substitute for being there and living the areas, rather than looking and asking the people who are already there and this was something which I hasnt cropped up on here too much before.

My selfish view was that a lot of communities are on golf courses (or close by) and that would do me fine, but the missus would have to wear a hard hat whilst sunbathing if my current golf is anything to go by lol.

I am glad I have asked and the answers havent put me off my original rental remit, but have cleared up a concern.

Cheers again and great forum

Sean and Rach
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice
Default Re: Why so many "gated communities"??

Someone else mentioned, the body corporate! If you are in a good one with good facilities it will be high and by laws will be annoying! Very good for renting, I wouldn't own one personally.

Better for kids, some measure of safety, but nothing is totally safe - so perhaps a bit more freedom for them.

One often overlooked fact is the getting in and out through the gates. Some people don't like the extra time it takes to wait for the gates! Seriously, I have heard that as a reason for not living in a gated community.

So my take on it, is that it is for some, but not for all! And there are huge differences in facilities and by laws, so make sure you do your research.