Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth boring?

Why is Perth boring?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Perth boring?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've seen flights to Singapore on Tiger for $300 return recently. We are going to Phuket in the October school holidays - 3 return flights to KL for $800-odd on AAX. Jetstar, Virgin, Tiger, AirAsiaX all expanding their flights to Asia out of Perth.
Fly in Fly out perhaps you mean. Work here in Perth and do every thing else on the fun side in another Continent. But do agree finally a little realism in the pricing of Asian flights..hope it lasts and expands to Asian countries and to the African Continent.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Who said anything about exciting? . . . This is ozstraya for Chris Sake!!
Could it possibly be that few truer utterances have found their way onto BE posts??
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Now that's not the best advert for Perth I have ever seen... your two must do attractions are the local IGA's !!!!!
True...but got me intrigued as my local IGA is crap.I may well be required to eat my words with regards to a lack of diversity in Perth.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:32 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Fly in Fly out perhaps you mean. Work here in Perth and do every thing else on the fun side in another Continent. But do agree finally a little realism in the pricing of Asian flights..hope it lasts and expands to Asian countries and to the African Continent.
IF you want to spend half the time flying to Asia then why not live there instead of Perth.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rosewater
I think it just depends where you are at in life. Perth does have beautiful beaches - Waterman's, Trigg and Mettam's Pool are lovely and when I am in Perth a jog, swim at one of these beaches in a little rock pool followed by a coffee at the Wild Fig is one of my favourite things! Weekends in Freo with the markets, places like Little Creatures brewery and other shops, bars and restaurants can be fun. I think there are plenty of coffee shops and quirky boutiques (try Subiaco for good coffee and lovely shops, the City centre now has more upmarket shops like Tiffanys etc) Perth does have a lively music scene and while it doesn't always attract every single artist there are no shortage of live gigs and decent venues in and around town. Theatre not so good but improving....plenty of options to go out in the evening with places like Mt Lawley and Subiaco having a range of nice cocktail bars and pubs for a drink. About 3-4 hours away you have the elegant wineries of Margaret River and beautiful unspoilt beaches of the South West....very special places to me still and I've done a fair bit of travel!
Perth is a growing population and as such I think things will only get better and certainly have gotten considerably better since the late 90's. I grew up there, moved to London for 10 years and found a very, very different and more lively Perth on return. I think it's on an upward trend and will continue to improve over time.
I think it's a hard place to be in your 30's unless you have a family of your own. Most people are settled with children by this age and living a fairly suburban lifestyle so if you want lots of nights out in funky restaurants and bars living it up then that might pose a problem! It can be a hard place to meet girlfriends although if you have small children there are plenty of mothers groups etc to make that process a little easier. Not so easy for the single female in her 30's though!! The nightlife is predominantly for the young and the weekend pub lunches, backyard BBQs or playground picnics seem to be the favoured excursions out for those with families in their 30's and 40's. This was one of the reasons we chose NOT to live in Perth on our return to Australia although we visit frequently. I have a lovely husband but we don't have children as yet and we found that was considered quite weird at our age -we never thought we were weird in London! Melbourne and Sydney are probably a little less suburban and a little more cosmopolitan when it comes to these things (in my experience anyway!) I think boring is the wrong word as those that love Perth find that it fit's their lifestyle and expectations perfectly....more a matter of it offers what you need to be happy!
Some similaraties in our story and agree with most you say. Especially, solidarity with the kiddy bit....but for the requirements of the Poster they may well find it lacking and would be better served in Melbourne or Sydney.
Although i would have thought Amsterdam would have easily been first to the post.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mohogony
IF you want to spend half the time flying to Asia then why not live there instead of Perth.
Unsure if you are asking in the general sense,to which i would reply because most folk earn their daily bread here in Perth and perhaps would be unable to sustain themselves in Asia...or even have the desire to...but if you are asking me...then the answer would be have lived in Asia in the past....am giving consideration to a return as have had an offer on the table to do so for a considerable time....and Perth is home for now having a perfect incentive to remain for the moment and the UK and Europe beckons next year.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier restraunts were mentioned - if you want good restraunts then Perth is not your place. It has a major shortage of restraunts. Officialy it has more than any other Oz city, but must of those in the count are nasty chains or fast food. Higher end restraunts are not Perths thing. As for nice bars and having a night out. Well we do have Northbridge. Great if you fancy a night out wearing body armour and carrying a ak47.

If you want a buzz then head for the east
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
Earlier restraunts were mentioned - if you want good restraunts then Perth is not your place. It has a major shortage of restraunts. Officialy it has more than any other Oz city, but must of those in the count are nasty chains or fast food. Higher end restraunts are not Perths thing. As for nice bars and having a night out. Well we do have Northbridge. Great if you fancy a night out wearing body armour and carrying a ak47.

Although the resturants in Perth ,as you rightly point out are wanting they do know how to charge the top dollar for what is presented with rather poor customer skills,especially when confronted with the fact that the food dished up is unpalletable and as thus is not going to be paid for.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kate1973
I am curious why some people think Perth is boring as it seems to have everything a medium size city normally has?
Kate,it may also to an extent colour your perceptions of the place if you are a Brit living in The Netherlands or a Nederlander. And then if you are in a smaller town there or a city? Have found a lot of Dutch people but more the younger(not all) back packer type loving the life up in Darwin and the NT in general when i lived up there years ago.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
True...but got me intrigued as my local IGA is crap.I may well be required to eat my words with regards to a lack of diversity in Perth.
It's only the fresh sushi, pasta, italian pastries and cookies, chicken pies etc. The actual grocery side of things is crap.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy

Had a few nice meals when I was back in Perth last year, the best was probably the upstairs restaurant at the Raffles Hotel - nice atmosphere and the good was great. Very different to the Raffles of the 1980's when the Flying Fonzarelli's hung from the bar ceiling.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:07 am
Just Joined

JW Frogen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zenshin
JW Frogen: If you have such a problem with Perth why don't you leave?

Life is what you make of it wherever you are..
That is what all boring people say.

I am drunk everywhere I am, in London that was fun, in Perth it is boring (except for dolphin sex) in Arkansas it lead me to a chain gang.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kim67
Very different to the Raffles of the 1980's when the Flying Fonzarelli's hung from the bar ceiling.
That was before a Flying Fonzarelli perished in a ceiling fan?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Though I will admit Perth is the Paris of WA.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

I don't think Perth is boring, it really is what you make of it. There are lots of groups you can join and there are some great free festivals that are held all over Perth, the local paper is full of events that are coming up.
People seem to make the most of it and get out a lot here, if you drive up the coast road there are always people on the beaches, surfing, sat having a picnic on the many parks that overlook the ocean and it is so refreshing to see so many people jogging, cycling, walking, power walking - makes you want to get out the car and join them!
We lived 20 minutes from Manchester and although it had great culture, amazing shopping and nice restaurants it was very overcrowded and we have done and enjoyed much more since arriving here.
I think it all depends on the sort of person you are and what you want from your new life.
Sure there are things that get you down but to be honest it is the same things that would get you down wherever you lived.
Hope everything works out for you..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.