Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth boring?

Why is Perth boring?

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

kate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the rough
Default Why is Perth boring?

I am curious why some people think Perth is boring as it seems to have everything a medium size city normally has?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Perth boring?

Originally Posted by kate1973
I am curious why some people think Perth is boring as it seems to have everything a medium size city normally has?
It just is....I hope that helps
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

kate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the roughkate1973 is a jewel in the rough

Yes that answers my question.....
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that answers my question.....
Glad to be of service

Seriously......try using the search facility as threads about this crop up over and over again and usually end up in a war.

G
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Yep, read a lot on Perth being boring, but nothing on what exactly makes Perth boring! Is it a lack of museums or theme parks (don't care about them), or is it something different?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Perth in itself isn't boring. Some people who live there perceive it to be boring. Everyone is different and it just doesn't fit some people's needs. You have to try to work out what your needs are and work out if Perth will meet them.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

If there are nice beaches, markets, little quirky shops, enough places for a coffee, nice restaurants and a chance to meet other 30 somethings I am happy
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Yep, read a lot on Perth being boring, but nothing on what exactly makes Perth boring! Is it a lack of museums or theme parks (don't care about them), or is it something different?
in my opinion, its not so much that it is boring - its just that it is a little backward compared with europe and the other major australian cities. great beach and weather (most of the time) and if you are into offroading, fishing, boating etc then you will be fine.

the shops shut at 5.30pm (except on a thursday and in the city) during the week and dont open sundays. I dont especially want to spend my weekends shopping, but it would be nice to have the choice. plus it means that a lot of companies wont open here so choice is limited compared with other places. because I work office hours, my only time to get things is a saturday and everywhere is mobbed - i cant stand it,

there is very litte theatre scene as such and many musicians don't come to perth as its too far from the east (except Pink who is coming twice ). the barbie scene gets monotonous - week after week standing around with people you dont really know talking bollox (me not them )its hard to put your finger on really - there is stuff to do but its quite limited and really not worth leaving F+F for - IMHO. you end up at the same places all the time - Hillarys boat harbour, Freo and the markets, yanchep park etc. You can fill your time fine but its all a bit of a non-event it just lacks any kind of 'buzz'.

others will disagree and that is fine - each to their own and all that.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 3:31 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

your from holland?
check out posts , very positive, from simone (not sure if that was her full username). She is Dutch and was a very good and much missed poster on our little community. I believe she had/has a blog/site about all the things to do in Perth. She would be in or around 30 as well.

edit the website is
http://www.enjoyperth.com.au/

it has a lot about gigs festivals etc

Last edited by seang; Aug 2nd 2009 at 3:50 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

ThX Seang, will read the blogs!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

If there are nice beaches, markets, little quirky shops, enough places for a coffee, nice restaurants and a chance to meet other 30 somethings I am happy
Hi there,

It has everything what you quoted, the beaches, markets and quirky shops, plenty of places to have a coffee, good restaurants in Freemantle mainly, but not in Perth city.
I love it, for me it is not boring at all, it is just right, well balanced, it has everything I need, but of course it depends what you want or need.

When are you coming? And what job will you be doing?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

You're correct, it has everything you'd expect of a medium-sized city . . . everything other than five other medium sized cities within an easy two hour drive, just for a bit of variety . . . it's boring because of where it is, not what it is . . . .
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'd like Melbourne. There are these sort of things in Perth but in very limited supply (especially the quirky shops). Freo is a bit better, but the fatigue-factor soon takes hold. A lot of 30-somethings here has already started their families (for which Perth is very good).

If you're set on coming, Leederville, Mt Lawley, Mt Hawthorn and Northbridge have the kind of things you're after north of the river. Freo and East Vic Park are a bit more lively South of the river.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spartacus
You're correct, it has everything you'd expect of a medium-sized city . . . everything other than five other medium sized cities within an easy two hour drive, just for a bit of variety . . . it's boring because of where it is, not what it is . . . .
What country is this in then, England? Because it certainly isn't Australia there are no medium size cities within 2 hours drive of each other, 2 hours flight maybe.

I find the West Coast has a lot more to offer than the East coast in terms of culture if you're prepared to take a 3-5 hour flight at what would cost the same as flying to another city in Oz or less, Bali, Singapore, Indo, Malaysia are all on your doorstep, whereas you have Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and New Zealand on the East Coast, hardly a diverse set of cultures.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mbike
Sounds like you'd like Melbourne. There are these sort of things in Perth but in very limited supply (especially the quirky shops). Freo is a bit better, but the fatigue-factor soon takes hold. A lot of 30-somethings here has already started their families (for which Perth is very good).

If you're set on coming, Leederville, Mt Lawley, Mt Hawthorn and Northbridge have the kind of things you're after north of the river. Freo and East Vic Park are a bit more lively South of the river.
tend to agree. I've got a young family and i still find perth a bit dull. i think a young single person would be bored shi*less in perth!! go to a bar on a wednesday evening for example and it'll be deserted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.