Why Perth?

Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:56 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why Perth?

I'm just curious what the obsession with Perth is?

Why does everyone go there/plan to go there? I must admit I've never been to Perth, and I'm sure it's a nice place, but the numbers going there seem disproportunate to other parts of Aussie....

Why is this?

Is it simply that it is a few hours closer to the UK? Do they have secret anti-aging water? Free beer? A really good marketing campaign amongst the potential emigrant community? What...?

I just can't really figure it out.... where did all you people get the idea of going to Perth from?
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Lots of us that use this site aren't going to Perth! Far too isolated for me anyway.

There was a poll started a while back which asked people where they were heading. I think Perth was equal to Brisbane areas.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be because PB is leaving
It is a beautiful place and was seriously considered by us. We have chosen Melbourne now, but will be going to WA in the winter to see friends and get warm
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I wanted to go to Perth as I have family there. It is clean and beautiful, the beaches are lovely etc etc but we are going to Melbourne ( I was born there) as the work situation is better and it isnt isolated like Perth. The houses you can buy in Perth are very cheap and you can buy something really great compared to the UK.

Suck it and see

Cheers
BooBoo
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:37 am
Just Joined

stavros is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic lifestyle there but too isolated for me. Same with NZ
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

We are going to Perth on the 29th of November, i have visited Perth on numerous occasions and love it, i have family there so i'm sure that helps but i have always found perth to be clean, as safe as anywhere else, friendly and of course that big blue sky helps. My rellies there who have lived there for 40 years say if you want money go to the eastern states, if you want lifestyle go to WA. Who knows living there might be a different story, many people worry about the isolation, this is not something that bothers me, someone who works with my husband said "I couldnt stand it you never get good theatre" to each his own for me this is a plus point. To sum it up, it offers the family orientated lifestyle that we are looking for...........time will tell!

Lynn
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:46 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder exactly the same question...Perth seems the worst place to go in Aus apart from fantastic climate if you like hot 'n dry, cheaper housing and laisser faire attitude. I mean that reasonably sincerely and would choose east/ south as opposed to west every time myself. Maybe it's the lemming-magnet aspect?

Why go to an isolated outpost unless work beckons?

Isn't it a bit like going to live in Vladivostock?
Attached Thumbnails Why Perth?-australia.jpg  
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Don

Do you have your PB hat on at the moment or are you talking out of your own mouth? Have you ever been to perth? Why is everyone so scared of isolation? Hell Guys the world is small these days!

Lynn
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We want Perth for 2 reasons.
We don't want the hussle and bussle of big cities and suburbs.
My Brother lives there.
Can't wait.

Whisky
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

why move somewhere so you can be near to somewhere else..?

if so why not move there instead..??

cheers

richard
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:07 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Although I've never been there, I get the impression that Perth is a great place, but the only way to know that is to see for ones self.
Being in the most isolated city in the world would I think, eventually leave me feeling, well... isolated.
At least with Brisbane you can visit other places up & down the coast.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think peoples obsession with isolation and certain parties outright hatred of Perth has given people the wrong idea, it is the most isolated state capital, ie far away from other capital cities, but there are other place in WA, its not a case of if you live in Perth then you cant drive anywhere, on the contrary there are numerous towns you can drive to, but most people would not consider driving to other state capitals, that said would you drive from Brisbane to Darwin or Melbourne? Dont be fooled by the narrow minded Perth is a fine city in its own right and none of the dtate capitals are a "days shopping" away from each other!

My advice don't knock it untill you've tried it!

Lynn
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Lynn.

I kept wondering why people keep thinking that it is isolated, as I have been in Perth many times and loved it. Really wondered why they think you can't go anywhere or get anything.

There are so many other towns up and down the coast etc.

Whisky
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank God Whisky i though i'd imagines them

Mind you maybe we should keep it quiet don't want everyone going do we!!!

Lynn
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:39 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting.... so I guess there's no magic secret about perth then....

I was just intrigued - Perth was just never really somewhere I've considered moving to (mostly cos I know nothing about it), but being a NZer the east coast is really what I think of when I think of australia....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.