Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is everyone obsessed with private schools?

Originally Posted by bridie
Cant say I've investigated the various schooling options yet, but I know I will definitely not be sending our kids to any form of religion-related school as I dont like the idea of them being brainwashed and I know from a friend that the schools expect you to back up any religious teachings they learn at school which we just couldnt do.
Not all religous schools do the 'brainwashing' - though you'd probably want to avoid the fundamentalist 'christian' ones, which can be a bit iffy - to say the least.

My kids went to a (nominally) presbyterian school which was extremely light on religion. There was no pressure of any sort to be baptised, go to church or backup the religion at home. They'd be rather short of students if they insisted on that, because none of the parents I met was the slightest bit religous.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Not all religous schools do the 'brainwashing' - though you'd probably want to avoid the fundamentalist 'christian' ones, which can be a bit iffy - to say the least.

My kids went to a (nominally) presbyterian school which was extremely light on religion. There was no pressure of any sort to be baptised, go to church or backup the religion at home. They'd be rather short of students if they insisted on that, because none of the parents I met was the slightest bit religous.
Any parents considering a religious school needs to ask hard questions about their teaching of science, darwinism, evolution and their policies on intelligent design. We looked at a school and their answers to the above questions were worrying to say the least.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Any parents considering a religious school needs to ask hard questions about their teaching of science, darwinism, evolution and their policies on intelligent design. We looked at a school and their answers to the above questions were worrying to say the least.
what's intelligent design?
Galba
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:15 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
Galba
A big can of worms...

Wikipedia
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. Lots of people I know love Lake Joondalup Baptist College, but I've seen some of their "science" text books. Would never send my kids there.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Galba
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

It's frightening stuff. Certain groups in America have been trying to have it taught in schools. So far without success.
Some Schools in Australia have been promoting it although I'm sure they are not allowed to. Probably trying to teach it in a more subtle way.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

It's frightening stuff. Certain groups in America have been trying to have it taught in schools. So far without success.
Some Schools in Australia have been promoting it although I'm sure they are not allowed to. Probably trying to teach it in a more subtle way.
Goodness, I just thought it was the modern-day equivalent of woodwork!

Galba
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:25 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe it's because they are affordable to the average middle class family.

I use the word "middle" loosely as the class system in Australia isn't quite the same as the UK, in fact your neighbour who drives a 1990 Falcon or Commodore and lives in a bog standard 4 x 2 could have a couple of million dollars stashed away in his bank and you'd never know.

That is a major plus for the country.

Some would call them Bogans ...

Originally Posted by GreenTea

Why are the local schools not good enough or are they good enough?

is this just snobbery? or is this an affordable way to educate your young?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:25 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
[...] - if you drink (to excess) and smoke, you are wasting the money you could be spending on your childs education, so think how you could possibly save this money to give them the best possible chance in life.[...]

[...]You could work a few more hours or educate yourself and find a better paid job.[...]
If this attitude is the result of a private school education then the state school option looks far more attractive.

One stand-out voice of reason mentioned the fact that it depends on the child. A well-adjusted intelligent child with a stable home life will do well regardless of the school they go to, and going to a state school with kids of a different background and socio-economic class would, I would say, give them a more rounded, objective outlook on life.

As to giving your kids the best possible chance in life: you can't buy your child's success, and if you could open the blinds of your big house and look beyond the pool, the SUV and over the fence into the real world you might see that not everyone views school league tables and academic success as the be-all and end-all of education. In attempting to put your kids in the "best" schools with the "best" exam results you risk giving them a very narrow view of the world that years down the track results in narrow minded mini-me's who perpetuate the same nonsense with their own kids, or they (justifiably) rebel and all your money is wasted.

Your children's future happiness is more to do with emotional intelligence than exam results... but then they probably didn't teach that where you went to school.

I suppose the reason for my rant is the same as the OP's - what is this obsession with finding the "best" schools? : is it really about the best thing for your kids or the fact that you want them to do better than the kids down the road?

Big.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

********POST OF THE DAY**********

Top typing.

Originally Posted by Big Galah
If this attitude is the result of a private school education then the state school option looks far more attractive.

One stand-out voice of reason mentioned the fact that it depends on the child. A well-adjusted intelligent child with a stable home life will do well regardless of the school they go to, and going to a state school with kids of a different background and socio-economic class would, I would say, give them a more rounded, objective outlook on life.

As to giving your kids the best possible chance in life: you can't buy your child's success, and if you could open the blinds of your big house and look beyond the pool, the SUV and over the fence into the real world you might see that not everyone views school league tables and academic success as the be-all and end-all of education. In attempting to put your kids in the "best" schools with the "best" exam results you risk giving them a very narrow view of the world that years down the track results in narrow minded mini-me's who perpetuate the same nonsense with their own kids, or they (justifiably) rebel and all your money is wasted.

Your children's future happiness is more to do with emotional intelligence than exam results... but then they probably didn't teach that where you went to school.

I suppose the reason for my rant is the same as the OP's - what is this obsession with finding the "best" schools? : is it really about the best thing for your kids or the fact that you want them to do better than the kids down the road?

Big.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:44 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
Chill pill required!!!

Read the posts above and tell me who has quoted $80k for schooling??????????

Only the best education facilities in the UK cost anywhere near that as well. For us, it was actually cheaper to put our lad into a private prep school than pay for part or full time child care/nursery/childminder thanks to the governement voucher scheme for the post 3 years of age children, so it was also a no brainer.

There are a few extra costs like uniform, but you'll find most private schools run a uniform exchange where you can pick up itmes at a fraction of their new cost and they are as good as new thanks to being well looked after.

There are ways to find money - if you drink (to excess) and smoke, you are wasting the money you could be spending on your childs education, so think how you could possibly save this money to give them the best possible chance in life.

You could work a few more hours or educate yourself and find a better paid job.

Do you really need 2 cars and satellite TV? Or go out for more than 1 meal a week?

I know this can't ever apply to everyone, as some are just not high enough earners to start with, so to them I apologise, there is no offence mean't. But to those that can do it, but refuse for selfish reasons and then make excuses, try thinking how much better off you'd have been with a better education and schooling.

I'll leave you to chew on that for a while

Do you know what, i am all for giving my kids the best, they have the best at any given time and place that we can manage it.
Just a few points i have picked up on whilst chewing on it.

If i moved somewhere were the local schools were that bad that i felt the need to send my kids to a private school, i would move anyway.

If we as a family gave up all activities that cost money so that we could send our kids to private school, then in my oppinion they haven't had a very good childhood i.e. 'do you really need 2 cars'. in oz yes, if hubby has one car for work how the hell am i going to get the kids to clubs, friends, activities.

I (and this is my own personal opinion) would hate for my kids to grow up with an attitude like yours. you look at public schooling like it is some sort of drop off point for poor kids.

I don't have to send my kids to private school to learn manners, respect and how to be educated, they are bright enough and have enough family support to manage that on thier own.

My neice and nephew went to private school, came out with a good education, nothing more than my kids can't acheive in public, but not one ounce of common sense or knoweledge about the real world.

just because you send your kid to private doesn't mean they won't be mixing with the type of kids that you would hate them to. just because they go to private school doesn't mean that they will become nice, caring, responsible adults. that is my job and one i take very seriously.

this by no means an argumentative response. it just riles me that you think if we spend money having a second car (never gonna be a new one for us so would be a second hand one) or if we decide to go away every fourth weekend as a family camping that we have failed our kids.

If my kids have it in them to be very bright, respectable, have common sense and be abe to converse in a polite and courteous manner I will bring it out of them. not leave it to the teachers to hopefuly mould my children.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:46 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah

Big.

bloody good post, not all private schools are good for all kids.

i would rather mine clicked with thier piers rather than standing on the outside wondering if they fit.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by louise4
bloody good post, not all private schools are good for all kids.

i would rather mine clicked with thier piers rather than standing on the outside wondering if they fit.
I agree Louise but again, not all local schools are good for all kids. One of the biggest draws for me is the class sizes in private schools which generally tend to be smaller than state schools. Each to their own - if you can afford it.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:01 am
forever hopeful

I agree Louise but again, not all local schools are good for all kids. One of the biggest draws for me is the class sizes in private schools which generally tend to be smaller than state schools. Each to their own - if you can afford it.

absolutely agree, what's right for one won't be right for another. i have no opinion at all about people sending thier kids private. good for them if that is the right choice. just the language which was used got my back up. to imply we (who don't send our kids private) are failing them.
it's not on really.

louise
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:08 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
what about trying your child for a scholarship, or are they not so readily available in Aus as they are in the UK?
Yes, scholarships are available here, though to get a sports scholarship your child should be competing at state level or higher. For an academic scholarship, the child sits an exam and has to do well in that. A countrywide organisation administers it so you're child will be ranked against kids from all over the country. Individual schools decide what pass level they'll accept for a scholarship.

My boy went to state primary and goes to private high. Both very good schools. The local state high school has a very good reputation and better OP results than the school he's at, but was not suitable for him personally. He would also have been able to get into the "best" boys private school in Brisbane but that wasn't suitable for him either.

All you can do is the best for your child and that could be private or state and may be different for each of your children. Thankfully, I've only got one.

Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.