Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do we miss out on so much with a 457 Visa

A very good point onthe low income whatsit thingy.

Also a very good point that HAVING PAID TAX does not make you eligible; WHETHER YOU SHOULD HAVE PAID TAX is what does matter.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Due to the effect of the Low Income Tax Offset, the majority of earners under $14,000 for the full year, will have paid no NET tax in 2007/2008.

I have come across quite a few people who think they paid tax last year, (as they paid it weekly from their wages) but do not realise that getting it all rebated after the end of the year, stops them from getting this Bonus.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
Also a very good point that HAVING PAID TAX does not make you eligible; WHETHER YOU SHOULD HAVE PAID TAX is what does matter.
A **** pain it is as well. It's now cost me $900 to keep my income under the tax level this year

Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have the opposite problem, non-recipient and thus net provider of $900 to other people.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A **** pain it is as well. It's now cost me $900 to keep my income under the tax level this year
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swooty
I did here they are doing away with the 457 soon aswell.
Em....sorry to butt in but this is the first I have heard of this. Anyone else know about dropping the 457?

Ta

A
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Short answer is that you are not a permanent resident. As the others have said if you want the benefits of PR you need to be PR or citizen.

If it's any consolation we did not get any of the last payouts nor will we get any of the next round of the stimulus payouts. Our combined income is too high, so like the previous poster, serves us right for both working and contributing to the economy.
Ditto, even tho I don't work!!!
We came out on 457 whilst waiting for pr. Got PR and still not eligible!!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Em....sorry to butt in but this is the first I have heard of this. Anyone else know about dropping the 457?

Ta

A

You will get more meaningful information if you ask on your own thread (or search the forums ... ) not take over something unrelated. Anyway, it's unlikely the 457 will be abolished but is likely to become harder to get because Australia will want to protect its employment market for Australian citizens and permanent residents.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
You will get more meaningful information if you ask on your own thread (or search the forums ... ) not take over something unrelated.
Silly me. I thought that, as the original poster had an interest in this thread, he/she may have noticed a comment placed on the thread and returned. My apologies for my error.

I assume your response to the 457 question is based upon supposition, not fact?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DCS
i live in the uk and dont clame a penny. we could but dont because we can survive without it. we have a child and on a single income but we live within our means. if we cant afford something like a holiday we wont take one. i know people who clame child tax credits but go on two some three holidays a year. IMO that is wrong. that is not what tax credits are there for.
I find this statement a bit strange. What are tax credits for?, is there a clear cut answer to this. Perhaps that family that could manage with one holiday per year might take three but maybe life being a doddle will encourage them to expand their family to more than one child and increase the tax base etc. I'm just not exactly sure then who should morally claim what they are allowed to.

If one thing that has stuffed up the economy is being able to get credit and mortgages from lenders to fund lifestyles that we all can't afford. Thankfully moving to Australia certainly helped us look at our finances and spending differently.

I do agree that the systems across the board can feel unfair at times. Unfortunately when dealing with so many people, families and migrants (and other terrible situations) everything is going to be more black and white than grey. We had a situation when my dad died of cancer that if he died 7 days later it would have greatly impacted on how much help my mum would have got. Fortunately it work in my mums favour but was not nice to think about.

Off for a cuppa
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Silly me. I thought that, as the original poster had an interest in this thread, he/she may have noticed a comment placed on the thread and returned. My apologies for my error.

I assume your response to the 457 question is based upon supposition, not fact?
It won't be fact unless and until it's announced.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:28 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
2.5 years is an unusually long wait.
i thought it was the norm for PR most people we know took 2-2.5 years to get there visa's.