Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Just woke up and have to go to work very soon...

Thanks for all your answers - I think I understand what you're saying now, although it won't be truly clear until I go over there. At the moment I'm renting in a very bland area of the UK. All the houses are brand new, identical, and on top of each other and this is one of the things I'm hoping to get away from by moving. We're looking at moving somewhere with acreage, so although the new Aussie house may look similar to the neighbour's house, hopefully we won't see it as it'll be too far away and surrounded by trees..

I think I will miss the charm of the English pubs, and boyfriend says he will too, but I'm hoping there will be new things to do and to look at that will have their own charm in a different way. I do think life is what you make it, and that choices may seem limited if you go to a new country expecting only to do the things you did before, but I can't speak with any real authority as I have yet to go!!!

2 weeks on Friday... can't wait, and will hopefully understand it all first hand then.

Sophie
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:35 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophie Louise
Just woke up and have to go to work very soon...

Thanks for all your answers - I think I understand what you're saying now, although it won't be truly clear until I go over there. At the moment I'm renting in a very bland area of the UK. All the houses are brand new, identical, and on top of each other and this is one of the things I'm hoping to get away from by moving. We're looking at moving somewhere with acreage, so although the new Aussie house may look similar to the neighbour's house, hopefully we won't see it as it'll be too far away and surrounded by trees..

I think I will miss the charm of the English pubs, and boyfriend says he will too, but I'm hoping there will be new things to do and to look at that will have their own charm in a different way. I do think life is what you make it, and that choices may seem limited if you go to a new country expecting only to do the things you did before, but I can't speak with any real authority as I have yet to go!!!

2 weeks on Friday... can't wait, and will hopefully understand it all first hand then.

Sophie
I wish you and the b/f both well in your adventure. Australia is simply a place where it works for some and not for others. This is always a personal take I think. I think though, in attempting to answer your original question, that bland isn't really about housing at all.

Bland is mainsteam contemporary australian culture (if it can be called that).
Life here is about the buck and being ahead of or at least equal to your neighbour in terms of socio-economic standing.
Perth goes beyond this and is visualy bland, brisbane also. They can appear souless and though I found brisbane people reasonably friendly, perthites are a very detached and aloof lot.

When youv'e been to the beach a few times and burnt your bum on the sand and your skin on the sun, when the beer you're drinking has no flavour(most don't), when you've gotten used to spring in brisbane being humid and 30c at 6am, when you've done the postcards to home thing, and when you see that people here really don't give a toss or have a genuine interest in developing meaningful friendships and that by and large australia is an unsociable beast, then you can retire to your large bland house on the outer suburbs, admire your new 4x4 in the double garage, stare into the pool, and wonder if this is really what life is all about?

Hopefully that won't be your experience, just be prepared that it coudl be and is for a number of people here; and they are the ones who are doing "ok".
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:34 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

grenade!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:59 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G'Day
I don't know what the go is but from what I'm reading here you'd forgive me if I got the idea that only countrified gentlefold were immigrating from the UK to Australia. I certainly get that impression when I read disparaging remarks about subburbia - didn't you all live in boring old subburbs in the UK? Or were they all spiced up with grafitti? All interesting and fantastic?

I think what they mean, Sophie Louise, is that you get "bland boring" sunshine most days over here with the occational bit of "weather", unlike bland boring rain and grey skies back in the UK. Also here you get "bland, boring" brick, wood and other types of houses on decent properties as opposed to the ever-popular bland, boring upstairs-downstairs-with-a-yard-you-can't-swing-a-cat-in of the good old UK. Then there is the "bland, boring" food. Choices vary between the "bland, boring" Japanese cuisine, Thai cuisine, Chinese cuisines, American cuisine, French cuisine, Aussie cuisine and the ever popular, never boring meat-and-two-vegs or fish-'n-chips from the good old UK. God-forbid that we should be expected to venture into anything as "boring" as a stylish night club or bar to drink anything new or different from the "ussual"! No give us a good old boring stuffy pub with the same-old-same-old, just like good old England.

I think anyone who complains that Australia is bland or boring whilst in the same breath whinging about there not being any decent pubs around is an unimaginative idiot.

Australia is a facinating country that combines within it's states the weather and pleasures of Bali, the weather, wine and pleasures of Cape Town, or the Med, the joys and glories of deserts accross the globe, and it even has Perth, which doesn't really fit in anywhere but is probably as close as you'll ever get to a major city posing as a small town in your life. We have country towns that are honest to gosh country towns, farms so vast they bring the cattle in with choppers, underground cities in Coober Pedy. Very few other countries have the diversity in people and climate that Australia offers. It has amazing architecture and art, many musicians and artists have made it their home and wouldn't be anywhere else.

I don't know what the go is with scrapbooking, since I've never come into contact with it in two years of roaming the place so all I can guess is that it was posted by someone without an ounce of appreciation for other people's hobbies in their soul, who happen to have been in the position of meeting someone who does this for a hobby. I didn't know it was a group-thing but who knows....

It is what you make of it, but it certainly has a hell of a lot of potential to start with. Certainly it doesn't have huge mountain ranges, but the Grampians & Blue Mountains are plenty beautiful for those who care to get out of the pub and out into life.
Have to agree with you m8 i live on a councel estate and in my job have been to many other ones and they all look the same to me. and as for a decent pub i live in guildford in surrey and every time i have gone in to town with the wife or my m8 there has been trouble in what ever pub we go into or club im not saying there is never truble in oz pubs and clubs but dont make uk pubs out to be so great they are not,They are full of kids that can handel there drink and just want to fight unless you drive out to the country side you might find a nice pub then ,My m8 has just come back fron perth and he said he felt safer wallking around perth at night then he ever did around the towns in our area and as i say we live in leafy surrey not up north not having a go at anyone that lives up north i know there are some very nice places up there.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophie Louise
We're moving to Brisbane in May (I'm English, boyfriend is from there), and I've never been. We're headed out for 3 weeks at Easter before making the 'permanent' move.
I suppose people think it's bland because it's relatively new. The cities and surrounding suburbs are a bit more contrived, and thought out before they were built, rather than growing like older towns. So you get blocks of streets instead of winding roads. No history.

I think the suburbs are getting a raw deal on this thread. Some Brisbane suburbs are lovely. Ascot, Clayfield, what's the one named after all the purple blossom trees? Acacia Ridge? The houses are all unique most of the time, not rows and rows of identical semis, or Barrett Homes. I agree there's no decent pubs in most places. But I used to live near the Scarby Pub in Redcliffe and loved it.

SL, I love BrisVegas, and can't wait to get back. Me and my boyfriend (whose just got his spouse visa) are going to be looking at living in the suburbs between Redcliffe and Brisbane.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the people that say Oz is bland are actually people who are bland themselves? if their lives exist only to go to pubs and shopping centres maybe it's better that they come back to the UK? I would really like to see what they posted prior to going to OZ, bet they said the UK was boring, bad weather, too many immigrants. Well the UK is all of that but it does have Pubs, Lakeside, Nice Suburbs (like where?)

Maybe they should get a life, rather than whinging on here perhaps they should get out and meet people

Just my thoughts

Kevin
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eatstatic
You will have to move there before you can experience the reality of the clash of cultures between the UK and Australia.

No decent pubs, in some suburbs no pub at all.

Locals see you as a pom, nothing more nothing less, comment on any issue and you are a whinger.

Going to BBQ after BBQ and being asked "So what do you think of Australia", translated into "Aint the UK a shithole, bet ya cant believe your luck to be in Australia"

Ha, I was reading this thread and - needless to say that I am always impressed by G-day's posts - I felt rage and anger when I read eatstatic's one...

I know pubs are an enormous part of the british culture but not really important in the south of Europe... I live in Switzerland and there is not such thing as " going to the pub on Sunday for a roast"... for us it is more like having friends over for dinner (not that brits dont do that)... I therefore think the pub detail is trivial but I can understand that Brits could be disappointed if there is no pubs in OZ (the one who said there is no pubs in OZ must be blind though).

Australia is a mix of origins and cultures whereas the UK (to me) still seems to have the British culture as the major one. This is, I believe, one of the reasons (maybe) why - in OZ - there are not pubs everywhere.... Maybe they have been replaced by the numerous and varied restaurants from other cultures? (see G'day's post)...

As I have said in other posts, I love OZ just as much as Europe - but something is pulling me towards OZ, I guess its called an experience and I am ready to make do with its "different aspects" in order to satisfy my thirst for adventure...

fabie
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:11 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Haven't read all the posts on here but did read Badge's (I think), which I agree with.

Many people who live in the same place for years may see their surroundings as bland. I know I do. I've lived in the UK for 26 years and for me, I find it rather 'samey'.

All cities have the same high street shops, littered with asylum seekers, all quaint villages have the church and beamed pubs, etc.

Life's what you make it. I find this country bland now, so that's why I'm moving. If/when I find Australia bland - Hong Kong here I come!

Rob
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I wish you and the b/f both well in your adventure. Australia is simply a place where it works for some and not for others. This is always a personal take I think. I think though, in attempting to answer your original question, that bland isn't really about housing at all.

Bland is mainsteam contemporary australian culture (if it can be called that).
Life here is about the buck and being ahead of or at least equal to your neighbour in terms of socio-economic standing.
Perth goes beyond this and is visualy bland, brisbane also. They can appear souless and though I found brisbane people reasonably friendly, perthites are a very detached and aloof lot.

When youv'e been to the beach a few times and burnt your bum on the sand and your skin on the sun, when the beer you're drinking has no flavour(most don't), when you've gotten used to spring in brisbane being humid and 30c at 6am, when you've done the postcards to home thing, and when you see that people here really don't give a toss or have a genuine interest in developing meaningful friendships and that by and large australia is an unsociable beast, then you can retire to your large bland house on the outer suburbs, admire your new 4x4 in the double garage, stare into the pool, and wonder if this is really what life is all about?

Hopefully that won't be your experience, just be prepared that it coudl be and is for a number of people here; and they are the ones who are doing "ok".
Oi, oi, do I detect a know-it-all Kiwi in our midst?

I'm okay, but by no mean YOUR type of okay. My life is rich and full and I'm enjoying every second of it, sorry if yours is of the duller-than-brick variety. Did you bake your brain out there when you were working on your suburn or is the world truly all shades of grey for you? Poor girl, I think you might need some Prozac, yep, I can definitely see some happy-pills needed by this one.
I work with 60 Australians, with the exception of two bastards, they're all great, fun-loving people who actually care about each other and the world. I find them a bit soppy at times, but that's Aussies for you, they really feel for everybody 'cause they've got no worries. As for the bastards, well you get them everywhere, what can I say?

Now for the beer, well my husband is a beer connoiseur and he'll gladly point you towards several fantastic European beers that are available on the market here, no fear, they're all perfectly drinkable. The socio-economic thing you're talking about is not limited to Australia, but is, in fact, a worldwide phenomena, yet I have experienced it less here than in many other places I've lived in, in fact you can be invited for dinner at someone's house and they'll be down-to-earth yet live in a house with a price-tag that will make you cry if you ever saw it. I have experienced one-upmanship exactly once since moving there and it was a very recent experience with an ex tassie girl who'd married into money & got a bit over-excited at "arriving". She was soon taken down a peg by her friends, and is now quite normal again.

I do not find Australians to be unsociable at all, nor do I find it bland, so I suspect the problem lies with you, not with them.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:06 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

life is what you make of it, no matter which country you live in...

blandness can be experienced in both the UK and Australia (and NZ I might add)...
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:34 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
As for non-Brits, or (more importantly) non-ex-pats on here... I just say take them with a very large portion of salt. They are coming from an *entirely* different position, and often are just provocative/inflamatory (or try to be, in fact they are hilarious). For instance, Wombat's views come from a self-confessed background of never having visited Europe, never mind never having lived there!!! (And I really don't get WHY a non-Brit or non-ex-pat would be on a British Expats forum! Quite bizarre! I am open to explanation. Answers on a post-card please)
I'm a non-Brit, but am an expat sort of. (well, a migrant, and I think 99% on here are migrants, not expats)

I started on here on the immigration forum, looking for info for my partners visa. After that I was giving advice to others.
I guess I came on here, because there was interesting discussions going on, and I could sometimes help, because I have lived in Australia previously(as a child though).
Then, you slowly become addicted, post more, start making friends, post even more.... :scared:
Also, there wasn't a Dutch forum like this, there is now, but it's stil much quieter, and I've made friends on here now so....

I find it very interesting, because generally speaking I think all Western countries all come down to the same thing(work, eat, sleep, taxes, crime etc etc), but it's interesting realising the differences, like the big pub culture you have, and the impressive and huge supermarkets by the sounds of it (I find the aussie ones huge compared to the Dutch ones!)

Anyway, I do feel a bit guily being on here sometimes, so I don't try and start to many threads these days, but sometimes I can't help myself, I think, pah, I'm helping to tell about 'Australian lifestyle and culture', even if it is from a slightly different perspective...
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:21 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I agree that life is what you make it.

Australia is a big enough place for everyone to find their own place to live that suits their requirements - I get confused by people that move there without having a holiday 1st - you can not possibly know what the country is like any other way - I know lots of Brits have moved to Oz in this way (and for many it will have worked) but personally I think it is a little bit crazy.

Check the country out a few times b4 moving and then move with an open mind. Rent 1st and meanwhile do lots of travelling every weekend to suss out area's that appeal to your own personal tastes - join clubs, take up new hobbies - I found Brisbane anything but bland - there seemed to be clubs for every type of sport/ hobbie imaginable - I don't understand how anyone can get bored?

Lynn
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:36 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Scrapbooking - done by bored suburban housewives.Never tried it, as I don't fit the category, I'm not that bored, and I'm not a housewife, and I don't live so close to my neighbours that I can hear them fart . But if you walk around some of the shops such as "the warehouse" you will see an aisle where it's packed by bored housewives buying scrapbooking things . Not quite sure what it is, do they make books, picture albums or something?

Scrapbooking the art of the decrative photo/life album, well at least that was what the the women on the tv told me. Crafty friend told me about shopping chanel where I could get some stuff, for an art package I am making up for my god-daughter. So duly switched on to to find a whole hour dedicated to this hobby. It entails making photo/certificate frames and title labels and special pieces of art to commerate happenings in your life. Best one to imagaine is baby first everythings! So hope that helps (If anyone needs to know it is sky channel 664 for all you uk based people) So it seems at least something that is optional!!

The thing that grips me that I keep getting told is about the weekly tupperware parties that seem to be an essential part of the afternoon/evening social scene, hopefully it is just an excuse for a good shindig, but if it is a tupperware party with tea/coffee, I am sunk. Will be going to work in self defence, or just getting myself a bad name, as the women that is leading my wife astray (will not be the first time!)

This aside, boring is as boring does, so we can all look forward to new and unusual happenings, engineered by ourselves. No worries
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:58 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I've never heard of scrap booking either :scared: .. so can only conclude it's more popular in certain areas... and I've spent most of my life in Australia.. apart from the past 5 1/2 years in the UK.....

I can remember my Mum only going to 1 tupperware party years ago when I was a little kid.. she never went again as she didn't think it was that interesting...

Tupperware parties just like going to a Virgin vie makeup party, or something like that.. the host gets goodies... and cons their friends into spending money...
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:41 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield

Maybe they should get a life, rather than whinging on here perhaps they should get out and meet people

Just my thoughts

Kevin
A rather strong sentance there! Going out and meeting people can be a struggle for some who could be very shy or may not have the immediate avenues such as going to work.

The burbs is not me in any country, I had to live there a while Oz as that is how it was, my circumstances but I tried to make the best of it as I could then decided a return to the UK was in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.