Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Originally Posted by G'Day
Sorry Ceri, didn't mean to imply that your gorgeous dragoness is the cat's mother. Really I realise now reading it that it sounds rude, so really I apologize.
As for asking ABCDiamond I am asking the opinion of someone who is neither homesick nor using their Australian passport as a tablestop, so I was just wondering how someone a little more pro-Aus feels about a place I've never been to.

I don't think he can use his aussie passport as table prop, dare I say it - not everyone is so lucky to have such a fine prop ( ! here another smiley joke!!!) .

You'll have to ask him, but I don't think he has one, or he is applying for one now something like that.

12 years?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:27 am
ABCDiamond

Very interesting! How do you like Brissie ABCDiamond? Is it as boring as Ceri claims or is it just she?
I like the area, but then, I am over on the Bayside and I don't often head Northwards.
Different areas will get different responses, from different people. Its almost impossible to say if anyone person will like a certain area, but I can say that a lot of the people who have arrived in the Bayside seem to like it here. They don't seem to post as much these days, even on the Bayside site. But we bump into them at various places, eg: Wet'n'wild yesterday

I've lived in the Bayside for 2yrs 2 months, with 2 years in Sydney immediately before that, and 4 years in Kent UK before that, and 10 years in Sydney before that, and of course some years in the UK before I first migrated

I'm now settled at last (Yep, I like it here)

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I agree with you entirely. I just ask that people try to achieve some kind of balance in thier posts. Of course people want to hear about positive experiences, but that is very different to and more useful than very generalised and patently untrue statements about Australia being the best country in the world etc. It has pro's and con's, and it just depends how they all stack up.

As for non-Brits, or (more importantly) non-ex-pats on here... I just say take them with a very large portion of salt. They are coming from an *entirely* different position, and often are just provocative/inflamatory (or try to be, in fact they are hilarious). For instance, Wombat's views come from a self-confessed background of never having visited Europe, never mind never having lived there!!! (And I really don't get WHY a non-Brit or non-ex-pat would be on a British Expats forum! Quite bizarre! I am open to explanation. Answers on a post-card please)
Heh, heh, is he married to an expat maybe? Wonder how an Australian hears about a site like this anyway?

I do understand where you are coming from. I for one try to stay out of any discussion about anywhere in the world where I have not been to for at least a few months. I don't believe I am qualified to answer any questions about a place unless I've actually lived there.

Originally Posted by Ceri
I don't think he can use his aussie passport as table prop, dare I say it - not everyone is so lucky to have such a fine prop ( ! here another smiley joke!!!) .

You'll have to ask him, but I don't think he has one, or he is applying for one now something like that.

12 years?
Ceri

I am working on getting atable prop of mine own one of these days.

What's with the 12 years? Care to elaborate?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Ceri

I am working on getting atable prop of mine own one of these days.

What's with the 12 years? Care to elaborate?
I meant to say 14. I don't understand, why anyone after 14 years has not got citizenship if they love the place - it only takes two years of being PR.

Mind you I don't understand many things

oh well, I'm off into the wilds of a lovely mining town tomorrow for a few days - you don't want to know!!!...
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I meant to say 14. I don't understand, why anyone after 14 years has not got citizenship if they love the place - it only takes two years of being PR.

oh well, I'm off into the wilds of a lovely mining town tomorrow for a few days - you don't want to know!!!...
Geez, 14 years! I've only been here for almost 2 and I'm chomping at the bit to add another passport to my collection. Bet I don't have as many as you do though

Which mining town are you off to? I've got a cousin who recently came over out in one of those. Can't remember the name now but it was hot as hell. Have fun.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Geez, 14 years! I've only been here for almost 2 and I'm chomping at the bit to add another passport to my collection. Bet I don't have as many as you do though

Which mining town are you off to? I've got a cousin who recently came over out in one of those. Can't remember the name now but it was hot as hell. Have fun.
not me 14 years - I've been here about 8 years.

Mount Isa again , it's work related - flying :scared:, I want to drive, I want to drive!!! - I can't stand the flying tin cans
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:50 am
ABCDiamond

It took me a long time to find an area that I love And until I liked it, I wasn't going to become a citizen, it just didnt seem right to me.

But now I just need to get around to filling those forms in for Citizenship

I'm just like the Car mechanic who never gets round to doing his own car, or the Decorator who never does his own house. I've done paperwork all my life, and yet can't get around to filling in this form. !!

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]It took me a long time to find an area that I love And until I liked it, I wasn't going to become a citizen, it just didnt seem right to me.

QUOTE]

I'm the opposite - I just thought it was sensible to get it, if not for me ( I don't want it, it means nothing to me), it's for any future kids who wish to B8gger off for a few years - or I kick out

ie not burning bridges in other words
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

not me 14 years - I've been here about 8 years.

Mount Isa again , it's work related - flying :scared:, I want to drive, I want to drive!!! - I can't stand the flying tin cans
OMG! That's where my cousin lives now. Is it a positive hell hole? Her new husband dragged her off over there after landing in Perth and finding they weren't as impressed with him as the Americans were and Australia wouldn't let him leave his family here whilst continuing to live in Nigeria and work for the Americans What can I say? If you meet a cheeky red-haired Englishman named Mark that's him. Just slap him down & tell him to sit still. He needs a bit of rough handling at times.

ABCDiamond, glad to hear you've finally settled. Do your children like it there?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Perth
Country of Origin
Australian born 50%
Born Overseas - Top 5
United Kingdom 42%
New Zealand 3%
South Africa 3%
Viet Nam 1%
Germany 1%

Is this true? The smeg it is!
You'll get people worried with figures like that It would be to much like home from home Mind you, it is high at 12% !!

Perth
Country of Origin
Australian born 63%
Born Overseas - Top 5
United Kingdom 12%
New Zealand 2%
Italy 2%
Malaysia 1%
South Africa 1%

web link

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

[QUOTE=G'Day] If you meet a cheeky red-haired Englishman named Mark that's him. Just slap him down & tell him to sit still. He needs a bit of rough handling at times.

QUOTE]

with pleasure , as long he is not a big bloke lol
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

I'm the opposite - I just thought it was sensible to get it, if not for me ( I don't want it, it means nothing to me), it's for any future kids who wish to B8gger off for a few years - or I kick out
My daughter (8yrs old) already holds both British and Australian Passports.

ABCDiamond, glad to hear you've finally settled. Do your children like it there?
She loves it, but hardly remembers the UK now. The old photos keep her amused, walking in the snow, with her "space suit" type thing on, past the terraced houses that we lived in. She does want to see one of those, as she can't believe our wardrobe here is bigger than her bedroom was in the UK
I'll be taking her either this year or next, for a look around.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Ceri]
If you meet a cheeky red-haired Englishman named Mark that's him. Just slap him down & tell him to sit still. He needs a bit of rough handling at times.

QUOTE]

with pleasure , as long he is not a big bloke lol
Tiny little guy who believes women should be behind the stove in the kitchen, pref pregnant & barefoot. Just the kind of guy I like to slap around from time to time. After my cousin landed in Perth & he was getting ready to go to Mt Isa to check out the job I suggested she and the children come to visit me in Melb for a while until he got everything there sorted out, after all he'd been away for months at a time in Nigeria so he's used to being away from his family, right? But they've never been away from home & I haven't seen the boys since they were babies. When this was put to him I could hear him rudely telling her in the background that her place was with him & she wasn't galavanting off to Melbourne but would stay put until he sent for her! :scared: Problem is I'm too liberal by half for most of the men on my father's side of the fence

So what do you do for the mines?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My daughter (8yrs old) already holds both British and Australian Passports.

She loves it, but hardly remembers the UK now. The old photos keep her amused, walking in the snow, with her "space suit" type thing on, past the terraced houses that we lived in. She does want to see one of those, as she can't believe our wardrobe here is bigger than her bedroom was in the UK
I'll be taking her either this year or next, for a look around.
I think my boys will probably be going back too for a visit, but they'll also have to go to South Africa and make a couple of other pit stops in Europe to visit ALL of the family. I've suggested to my eldest (18 this year) that he should take a year off after VCE to travel the globe and visit all of our scattered family abroad. He's really excited about it, but I'm trying to talk him into working on cruise ships rather than backpacking as, typical mother, all I can think of is the michief I got up to all by myself at that age. As I said to my husband, at least on a cruise ship there's a doctor, a bed and food if all else fails. :scared:

He might go and work in the UK but I doubt he'd stay, he loves the sun too much.

I've got pics of them all building snow men, but since we have the snowfields just here they don't miss it too much, besides which you can drive home from this snow and come back to the green country within an hour, it's all so different!

Last edited by G'Day; Mar 7th 2005 at 5:18 am.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:37 am
Badge

I don't know what the go is but from what I'm reading here you'd forgive me if I got the idea that only countrified gentlefold were immigrating from the UK to Australia. I certainly get that impression when I read disparaging remarks about subburbia - didn't you all live in boring old subburbs in the UK? Or were they all spiced up with grafitti? All interesting and fantastic?

I think what they mean, Sophie Louise, is that you get "bland boring" sunshine most days over here with the occational bit of "weather", unlike bland boring rain and grey skies back in the UK. Also here you get "bland, boring" brick, wood and other types of houses on decent properties as opposed to the ever-popular bland, boring upstairs-downstairs-with-a-yard-you-can't-swing-a-cat-in of the good old UK. Then there is the "bland, boring" food. Choices vary between the "bland, boring" Japanese cuisine, Thai cuisine, Chinese cuisines, American cuisine, French cuisine, Aussie cuisine and the ever popular, never boring meat-and-two-vegs or fish-'n-chips from the good old UK. God-forbid that we should be expected to venture into anything as "boring" as a stylish night club or bar to drink anything new or different from the "ussual"! No give us a good old boring stuffy pub with the same-old-same-old, just like good old England.

I think anyone who complains that Australia is bland or boring whilst in the same breath whinging about there not being any decent pubs around is an unimaginative idiot.

Australia is a facinating country that combines within it's states the weather and pleasures of Bali, the weather, wine and pleasures of Cape Town, or the Med, the joys and glories of deserts accross the globe, and it even has Perth, which doesn't really fit in anywhere but is probably as close as you'll ever get to a major city posing as a small town in your life. We have country towns that are honest to gosh country towns, farms so vast they bring the cattle in with choppers, underground cities in Coober Pedy. Very few other countries have the diversity in people and climate that Australia offers. It has amazing architecture and art, many musicians and artists have made it their home and wouldn't be anywhere else.

I don't know what the go is with scrapbooking, since I've never come into contact with it in two years of roaming the place so all I can guess is that it was posted by someone without an ounce of appreciation for other people's hobbies in their soul, who happen to have been in the position of meeting someone who does this for a hobby. I didn't know it was a group-thing but who knows....

It is what you make of it, but it certainly has a hell of a lot of potential to start with. Certainly it doesn't have huge mountain ranges, but the Grampians & Blue Mountains are plenty beautiful for those who care to get out of the pub and out into life.
very perceptive, actually. I find the newer Aussie estates very bland.
But now I think about it, the endless rows of grey, dirty terraced or even 1930s semi are also extremely bland and there is less room. So, it would all depend on the area. If that 1930 semi or terraced house was in Islington or a fancy suburb maybe you would love it - but that is beyond many people's means.

To answer your question G'Day, the reason I think so many migrants are happy to live in bland estates is because, they are better than where they have come from. To some though, the novelty just wears off; why we avoided them big time.

badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.