Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the difference...

Why the difference...

Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the difference...

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
I sat last night and wrote a really long post for this thread ... then deleted it.
Then i went to bed and instead of sleeping thought about it some more.
I came online today wondering if any of those who are not happy in oz had actually had the courage to reply ... the usual suspects () have but most have not.

But then can you blame them? They have already been labelled as having the wrong/negative attitude, having come here with some sort of warped vision of oz, they have been called whingers and accused of lacking balls ...

... and not only this but if you actually ask them you will probably find that most CANT even form a reply for your thread because quite frankly they cant find the words to explain how they feel to those close to them never mind people they have never met and on top of this they probably cant even define a particular reason why they are unhappy ...

Those of you who have made the move and love it are imo very very lucky. I didnt come here with a warped perception of a 'perfect' place or a 'uk with sun'. i didnt come here with a negative attitude (surely no migrant does?) and if you ask most who know me they will tell you that i am a positive, glass half full person who makes the best of everything and everyone around me.

But here i am and i have struggled. I cant define why. I dont even miss the uk (my home is where my oh and my kids are - always has been and always will be) not even in my worst moments have i actually considered moving back - after all me being happy or not is not going to be decided by WHERE i live.
i dont come on the boards and whinge about oz. in fact i really like it here. the people are great, the scenery is breathtaking we have a lovely house in a lovely area, my oh and kids all love it here .... but i have struggled to feel happy. Why? i have no idea ... and to be perfectly frank all of you who have posted why others are not happy have no real idea either. You havent been there and you dont know.

I dont think i will come back and read the replies to this. I dont think that i need or want to. I just hope that writing this has helped those who are struggling to realise that they are not alone (even though at times on here it feels as if you are)
I am more upset after writing this than i have been in weeks ... sometimes it doesnt help to think things through. So i am going to go back to thinking positive now and put the rest out of my mind ...

Adele x

An excellent post Adele. It's amazing how well one can cope with positive self talk and thought stopping but that doesnt stop the underlying feelings from still being there.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:56 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I can't help feeling that there's an undercurrent of superiority running through some of these posts.

i.e. those that love Australia unconditionally imply that if everyone has a positive attitude or perhaps have seen more of the world than the UK then they will love the place just as much.

For me, I've travelled extensively and in the places that I've lived have always seen the good and bad. This forum can often provide an outlet to talk about those aspects of Australia which are frustrating. I'm not so sure that you can infer from this that people who complain about Australia on here have a different (poor?) attitude to those who only post positive things.
...and I can't see that sense of superiority in any of the posts here!

I am a firm believer that it is the person, not the place, that determines whether a place/thing is "good" or "bad". It is 100% in the mind and attitude of the individual. Otherwise, how do you explain the fact that so many people perceive Perth as terrible, whereas so many think it is a great place? These people aren't talking about 2 different perths (as far as I know) - they are talking about an identical environment.

Ok, think of it this way : there are several hundred people who live on lamb island, russell isand and a couple of other islands in moreton bay. Many of the people who live there think its great. Yet there is zero to do or see on the islands. How do you explain it?

Or, how about the many people who live in Alaska. Freezing cold practically all year round. Dark for much of the year. Not many hot women (so I've been told anyway). Yet why do people live there?

The answer : it is all down to mindset and attitude.

Whether or not the people who complain about the negative aspects have a "poor" or "bad" attitude, is a different question altogether. Of course they don't have a bad attitude. Similarly, those people who are happy with their lot and don't complain vocally on forums, can't really be labelled as underacheivers or "happy with 2nd best". They don't have a bad attitude either....just a different attitude.

It seems to me that there are many people who struggle to be happy in Aus, and I honestly believe that some (not all) of these people will never be happy, no matter how much money they have, or wherever they live, until they look inside themselves. (whatever that means).
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I can't help feeling that there's an undercurrent of superiority running through some of these posts.

i.e. those that love Australia unconditionally imply that if everyone has a positive attitude or perhaps have seen more of the world than the UK then they will love the place just as much.
I guess it depends on how you read it. Personally I don't think it's a question that can be answered, there are too many variables. Why has it so far worked for me but not joe bloggs down the road? I have no idea. Some people may say attitude simply because they can't think of another reason. It's too simplistic though.

I can understand why Badge is asking because it must be a question that goes through everyone's minds when they read about someone who is unhappy and doesn't know why or someone who suffers homesickness out of the blue after years of living happily away from the UK.

However every single person is different, so their reasons for settling or not settling is different, they can't be grouped. That's the only thing wrong with some of the answers, trying to compartmentalise. That's deep enough for me for today, I need a lie down
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
...and I can't see that sense of superiority in any of the posts here!

I am a firm believer that it is the person, not the place, that determines whether a place/thing is "good" or "bad". It is 100% in the mind and attitude of the individual. Otherwise, how do you explain the fact that so many people perceive Perth as terrible, whereas so many think it is a great place? These people aren't talking about 2 different perths (as far as I know) - they are talking about an identical environment.

Ok, think of it this way : there are several hundred people who live on lamb island, russell isand and a couple of other islands in moreton bay. Many of the people who live there think its great. Yet there is zero to do or see on the islands. How do you explain it?

Or, how about the many people who live in Alaska. Freezing cold practically all year round. Dark for much of the year. Not many hot women (so I've been told anyway). Yet why do people live there?

The answer : it is all down to mindset and attitude.

Whether or not the people who complain about the negative aspects have a "poor" or "bad" attitude, is a different question altogether. Of course they don't have a bad attitude. Similarly, those people who are happy with their lot and don't complain vocally on forums, can't really be labelled as underacheivers or "happy with 2nd best". They don't have a bad attitude either....just a different attitude.

It seems to me that there are many people who struggle to be happy in Aus, and I honestly believe that some (not all) of these people will never be happy, no matter how much money they have, or wherever they live, until they look inside themselves. (whatever that means).
I completely disagree. I think you are confusing people's attitudes with their tastes. They won't know whether a place suits their tastes until they try living there......if it doesn't then their attitude comes into play in terms of what they should do about that situation. If they have the option to move on, either to another location within that same country, or another country......or simply to wallow and do nothing about it. However, you can't make yourself happy in a place that's not for you.

By your logic, we could all happily live in Baghdad, Zimbabwe or Port Moresby as long as we turned a blind eye to everything around us.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I completely disagree. I think you are confusing people's attitudes with their tastes. They won't know whether a place suits their tastes until they try living there......if it doesn't then their attitude comes into play in terms of what they should do about that situation. If they have the option to move on, either to another location within that same country, or another country......or simply to wallow and do nothing about it. However, you can't make yourself happy in a place that's not for you.

By your logic, we could all happily live in Baghdad, Zimbabwe or Port Moresby as long as we turned a blind eye to everything around us.
Hmm....I'm not sure how you can conclude that I'm saying we can all live happily in baghdad if we all close our eyes and wear earplugs!

What I am saying, is that some individuals (albeit a very small number, possibly very close to zero) could live happily in baghdad, with their eyes wide open to the good and bad things around.

On the contrary, there are others who could have a stately home in the Kent countryside, with an Aston Martin parked out the front and scarlet johanson waiting in the bedroom, yet they still would be unhappy with their lot.

Those are two extreme examples, but hopefully I've made my thoughts a little clearer !

ps - I don't think that you and I are disagreeing at all. If my family and I grew unhappy with where we lived, I'd be doing something about it too.
cheers
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:37 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I guess it depends on how you read it. Personally I don't think it's a question that can be answered, there are too many variables. Why has it so far worked for me but not joe bloggs down the road? I have no idea. Some people may say attitude simply because they can't think of another reason. It's too simplistic though.

I can understand why Badge is asking because it must be a question that goes through everyone's minds when they read about someone who is unhappy and doesn't know why or someone who suffers homesickness out of the blue after years of living happily away from the UK.

However every single person is different, so their reasons for settling or not settling is different, they can't be grouped. That's the only thing wrong with some of the answers, trying to compartmentalise. That's deep enough for me for today, I need a lie down
Jeez, that was deep and meaningful MP. I'm even exhausted from reading it. Did you know it's Sunday and you don't need to think till tomorrow, a work day

Great post..and agree. We thank our lucky stars that we love it here, warts and all. I'd hate to feel the despair some feel. It's so far removed from how we feel it's impossible to truly understand and like you say, there doesn't seem to be a simple answer.

Anyways, stop being sensible and start writing crap will you.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 7:41 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
On the contrary, there are others who could have a stately home in the Kent countryside, with an Aston Martin parked out the front and scarlet johanson waiting in the bedroom, yet they still would be unhappy with their lot.
That would be me.

But make it Robbie in the bedroom and I'd be one hell of a happy dame
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

So according to some, those who like Australia don't have balls, and according to others, those that whinge about Australia don't have balls either.

Where have all the balls gone?

As for struggling and whinging. They don't go hand in hand. I agree with markallwood. Some people can struggle and be happy as Larry whilst others are miserable as sin. On the other hand some people may breeze it and be happy whilst others are down.

And another bizarre thing. The first time I did that glass half full/half empty thing, I said half empty. Am I the only one who ever made that choice as I've never seen anyone else admit to it.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

I dont think its possible to truly devine what makes a person happy else we'd all be shopping at Tescos (or Safeway, or one of the many other places that pay for market research). Honestly its seems as difficult as (truly) cracking the genetic code or finding the holy grail or making the perfect sponge

While we all have our opinions, how many truly listen? Its quite an art, I'm told.

Categorising, naming, boxing - you can't do that to the human spirit.

Shoot me down in flames -I've lived in 3 countries in 3.5 years -not planned, and what I thought at first changed at last. Ive been through relationship issues, debt issues, boredom issues, comparison issues, envy issues, children issues, descision issues etc - in other words, life.
I grew up in Sydney yet I feel an outsider in Melbourne. I had a call from France tonight asking us when we were coming home - they can't believe we would choose to settle to here for good. On a personal spin we chose Melbourne for the culture, but had we really thought about it we would have stayed where we were

Falling in love is, like, so not a science...Why does she go with him or visa vesa. If you fnd the solution, please bottle it instantly.

Nor can it be analysed. Could you accept for example, someone announcing that if you like living in Oz you must have a mother complex?

Look, you own your own happiness - it's not up to other people in a worse or better place, to tell you how to feel. I say trust your instincts, and if life has you by the short and curlies, have a good scream or a quiet moan or be stoic or grin and bear or make the best of it, whatever. Just know that some of us here, no matter our own circumstance, be it good or bad, are truly listening to you.

If you are free to go - watch the indecisivness gene, and if you love it here then well, what can I say? you'll fit in with the natives.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:04 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As already stated, its not always that easy to "go home".
I know that I am not the only person on BE who is living in Australia purely because I am married to an Australian. One of us will always be living in a foreign country. Try and remember this before you make such sweeping statements in the future.....
I am not making any judgements, just observations. I never judge anyone else, I've no right to do so.

We are all where we are because we made a choice, and in doing so we also chose to accept the consequences (good and bad) of that choice. Choosing to stay in a place is made by weighing up the consequences of that choice.

eg. you chose to marry an Australian. The consequence is that at least one of you will live away from the country of your birth, or the country that you regard as home.
If you choose to go home and he chose to stay then the consequence would be that you live apart.
I never said that moving was an easy choice, I simply pointed out that that option is available to everyone.... but, I neglected to mention the consequences of that choice.

The lady who is living in Australia because of her children... believes that she is stuck for another 6-8 years..... She could choose to leave her children and go back to the UK.... There are obvious consequences of that choice. She may find that she is alone in wanting to go back to the UK in 6-8 years .... but she can STILL choose.....
Did either of you consider how living abroad may affect you when you married? Sometimes we make choices without considering the potential consequences of them. Unfortunately, not considering them, does not mean that they won't happen.... Therefore, we are the product of our own choices and the consequences that arise from them.
Simplistic, maybe, but nevertheless, absolutely and indisputably true.

Last edited by alipally; Jun 15th 2008 at 1:07 pm. Reason: grammar!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

to listen is to understand.. I guess....
Whats a couple of kids in the mix
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So according to some, those who like Australia don't have balls, and according to others, those that whinge about Australia don't have balls either.

Where have all the balls gone?

As for struggling and whinging. They don't go hand in hand. I agree with markallwood. Some people can struggle and be happy as Larry whilst others are miserable as sin. On the other hand some people may breeze it and be happy whilst others are down.

And another bizarre thing. The first time I did that glass half full/half empty thing, I said half empty. Am I the only one who ever made that choice as I've never seen anyone else admit to it.
I would say half empty- but only cos I want someonr to fill it up again!!
Caroline
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:55 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Did either of you consider how living abroad may affect you when you married? Sometimes we make choices without considering the potential consequences of them. Unfortunately, not considering them, does not mean that they won't happen.... Therefore, we are the product of our own choices and the consequences that arise from them.
I really dont think anyone would decide to marry someone and live half way round the world without considering the affect it would have on them. Just as the rest of us did in which ever circumstances we emigrated.

as its already being pointed out to you on an earlier post everybody on here who has emigrated has done so looking for a better life, we were all you once upon a time. But until you live here yourself how can you make a comment on how people feel?

for some it works, for some it doesnt.

Your simplist view may be true, of course they have the choice to do so but could you imagine leaving your children in another country? Or leaving your husband?

I really hope your new life in Oz works for you and that we are not reading a disatisfied/homesick post from you in a years time, especially if your OH loves it here... but then you will have the choice to leave him and come back won't you.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I would say half empty- but only cos I want someonr to fill it up again!!
Caroline
Me too

What's optimistic about getting half a glass of something compared to having consumed half of a full glass? Personally I would rather have a drink with someone who gives me a full glass of beer rather than some tight wad who only gives me half a glass.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
The lady who is living in Australia because of her children... believes that she is stuck for another 6-8 years..... She could choose to leave her children and go back to the UK.... There are obvious consequences of that choice. She may find that she is alone in wanting to go back to the UK in 6-8 years .... but she can STILL choose.....
Dr Phil is that you? Nah, even he wouldn't be so trite and simplistic.

So, does someone who gets hit by a car and end up in a wheelchair choose to be disabled because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time? Does a four year old child who gets abused by their parents choose to do so because they don't run away?

Your posts make me so angry, I am putting you on ignore :curse:

You are a first class judgemental twat and clearly not that bright. I really hope karma comes and bites you on the arse and you remember your ridiculous and selfish words and sentiments when it does. Grow up! :curse:

Last edited by rabsody; Jun 15th 2008 at 10:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.