Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the difference...

Why the difference...

Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:30 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the difference...

Originally Posted by worzel
How about this? If you are running away FROM the UK (normally) you are much more likely to struggle than if you are running TO Australia (for the hell of it).
I totally agree! I am half Australian & having lived in UK since I was 4 always harboured a very vague idea that maybe one day I would return..

However I didn't really feel the urge until a succession of problems overwhelmed me. None of these were the UK's fault-just a combination of misinformed decisions and bad timing.

After years of being stressed to the max we "ran" from the UK to Australia. It was only 9 months from the day we decided to go to the day we arrived.

I loved living where I did & if it hadn't been for the stress we were under I would never have left not for weather or beaches or outdoor lifestyle etc etc. I have no kids and never will so that doesn't come into it.

I guess I didn't really want to leave the UK and go live anywhere else-it just seemed like a good way of escaping the things I didn't like about my life. On reflection I should have stayed and looked for better ways to deal with things & possible changes closer to home (oh, hindsight!)

Last edited by JoolsB; Jun 13th 2008 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Attitude. Plain and simple.

Some come here having never been to Australia, willing to take what it has and roll with it. Others expect the UK with sun then constantly compare to what they used to have.

Personally, I am lucky enough to have travelled the world with work or with my family and understand that there is more than one way of doing things. I try not to have pre-conceptions and take things as I find them.
What about those who have been to Aus and know what they're in for? Or those that have been to Aus on holiday and find out it's not like being on holiday.
I know a few BE users who hardly ever post on here who haven't settled in Aus and are stuck there. I also know a few who are thriving and some that find it much the same as UK but with better weather.
Takes all sorts.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is itchy feet. Having been an adventurer in my youth (which is what got us here) I now find that I need to adventure again having done the hard yards and stayed in one place while the kids were growing up. Now the kids are doing the adventuring and I thought it would be my time again. So, basically it's the been there, done that thing for me.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:49 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
For me it is itchy feet. Having been an adventurer in my youth (which is what got us here) I now find that I need to adventure again having done the hard yards and stayed in one place while the kids were growing up. Now the kids are doing the adventuring and I thought it would be my time again. So, basically it's the been there, done that thing for me.
I know what you mean Quoll but from all you other posts it sounds like you would like to base yourself in the UK and take adventurous holidays from there-or am I wrong?? That's what I would like to do...

My parents were ping pongers UK-Sydney and we moved around the UK alot so I had a fairly unsettled childhood plus I lived in Hungary with my father for a bit in my early twenties after my mother died so I am pretty well travelled. Never had any problems settling anywhere until now-maybe my adventuring days are already over (but I'm only 34). I feel I might have been able to settle here 10 years ago before I put down such roots in London-living there with my hub was the longest I have ever lived anywhere. Maybe I'm just craving the stability I never had in my childhood?

Last edited by JoolsB; Jun 13th 2008 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I know these have all been said before but I think it depends a lot on attitude, outlook and brainwashing.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
It's simply a difference of opinion. Just because someone experiences something different doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong. Just different.

Maybe you find that harder to accept than you realise?
I agree with you. Not to be facetious (sp?) some people love dogs, some people love cats, some people don't like either ... not everyone likes the same things, it's that simple!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Attitude. Plain and simple.

Some come here having never been to Australia, willing to take what it has and roll with it. Others expect the UK with sun then constantly compare to what they used to have.
Sorry but that's BS! I'm sure there are a % who do the whingeing pom thing but there's also plenty who just don't like it that much! (for whatever reason). A lot also depends on your personal circumstances - where you live, your financial status and so on .....

If someone who went to live in Bulgaria/Iraq/England and didn't like it be classed as having an "attitude" I wonder?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rabsody
If someone who went to live in Bulgaria/Iraq/England and didn't like it be classed as having an "attitude" I wonder?
Of course not. There are genuinely good reasons for not wanting to live in those countries

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 14th 2008 at 1:00 am.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is talking about attitude..

But people who have a positive attitude also have their little grievances from time to time which seem to effect them that's all and point to the circumstances they have been dealt.

I think there are deeper more practical reasons too like interest rates, job type, socio-economic health, interests and outlook on life.

Going back to the acceptance thread that was running, I have nothing in common with my immediate neighbours (nor do the rest of the street) nor 80pc of the people who live in the suburbs but that is down to their chosen lifestyle not because they are Australian although alot of Australians live in suburbs(!) I don't have much in common with a lot of people. But that's an inevitable thing..
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:07 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, some people are born moaners and cope with change by whinging constantly.

Using the workplace as an example - whenever the smallest of changes is implemented you can see 90% of the staff spending the rest of the week moaning about it. Same sort of thing I guess.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Of course not. There are genuinely good reasons for not wanting to live in those countries
I assume that was a deliberate attempt at irony?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rabsody
I assume that was a deliberate attempt at irony?
No, of course not. It was pure sarcasm
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
Yep, some people are born moaners and cope with change by whinging constantly.

Using the workplace as an example - whenever the smallest of changes is implemented you can see 90% of the staff spending the rest of the week moaning about it. Same sort of thing I guess.
There are other jobs where people strive for professional excellence and are too busy to moan, or if they do, it's just a critique and it's soon forgotten amongst other things. Our leadership suggest things and ask for feedback and it's just discarded when people don't like it. Very much a Chinese parliament.

The people on the train whinge about their jobs but they earn 50k if they are lucky and their jobs are highly process-orientated, admin style positions where team leaders seem born to be unpopular. These are the sort of jobs which both attract and maintain people who can't always rise out of them.

I think alot of people are in poor jobs.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The people on the train whinge about their jobs but they earn 50k if they are lucky and their jobs are highly process-orientated, admin style positions where team leaders seem born to be unpopular. These are the sort of jobs which both attract and maintain people who can't always rise out of them.

I think alot of people are in poor jobs.
I'm not sure what you are saying here

Are you saying people who complain are in lower paid jobs and this is why they complain? I accept there may be some who fall into this category and I also accept there may be some where social variables / pressures may make some unhappy however working in "poor jobs" or "highly process orientated" roles [your words] is not the factor

I happen to know highly paid, professionals [I am one of them] who find fault with certain things Australian so it's not exclusive to certain jobs.

Even though I am self employed, I speak out about the shite work ethics in Australia, the rife sexism and rife racism that had been eradicated in the main since 1980's in UK which still exists in Australia to a much higher degree. I have witnessed this working with other professionals who also speak out about the same thing in order to not sweep it under the carpet, but to address it openly. That doesn't make me unhappy living in Aus - but it does make me think there are some things needed to be faced up to and addressed. This is after all how the UK changed. Of course there are always going to be bigots but in the main things change if you stand up to be counted and accept not all things are rosy in the garden.

Working in "poor" or "highly process orientated" jobs is not a pre-requisite for unhappiness in Australia. People are smarter than that and working in non professional jobs doesn't make people any less smart or unhappy in life. I have many non professional friends who are some of the smartest, funniest people I know - some love it here, some don't and all see the good and bad in Aus. People can be negative about Aus at times for many reasons but it doesn't necessarily mean they don't like living in Australia either.

Regardless as to what job people have, they reserve the right to love it in Aus whilst stating its faults too. It is their opinion which may be different from yours.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Even though I am self employed, I speak out about the shite work ethics in Australia ...
I look on it as a business opportunity. I've got several competitors in my immediate area (on-site pc tech support) and I've heard some truly amazing things about one guy who lives/works in the same town as me. The petrol station phoned him up on a Saturday because their main till machine had gone down and he said (in a pissed off voice), "My business hours are 9 to 5 monday to friday. Kindly call me back on Monday." Another customer of his was having email issues and phoned him up for help and he said, "If you haven't got to grips with something as simple as email, I suggest you take up a new hobby." Too funny. But in both cases those people are now my customers, so long may he continue being shite ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.