Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why Australia giving PR

why Australia giving PR

Old May 17th 2014, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

centennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to allcentennial is a name known to all
Default why Australia giving PR

I have noticed people are having tough time in finding jobs (IT related) which are really scare at the moment. I am wondering why Australia is still inviting and giving PR to the foreigners.

Anyone with PR will be eligible for social benefits after town years which will further put load on public purse. We are having serious issue with immigration here in UK but cant do any thing due to EU obligations but I wonder why Asutralia is doing this ?

any thoughts ..

Disclaimer : I am migrant myself .
Old May 17th 2014, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why Australia giving PR

Originally Posted by centennial
I have noticed people are having tough time in finding jobs (IT related) which are really scare at the moment. I am wondering why Australia is still inviting and giving PR to the foreigners.

Anyone with PR will be eligible for social benefits after town years which will further put load on public purse. We are having serious issue with immigration here in UK but cant do any thing due to EU obligations but I wonder why Asutralia is doing this ?

any thoughts ..

As some IT roles shift to cheap labour this will happen. Other industries are quite boyant. Proabably would take big rises in unemployment across the board for things like this to change.
Old May 17th 2014, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

any thoughts ..

Australia is VERY specific on who is able to get a PR visa now. They charge a lot, and don't accept all applications.

They invite you to apply, and reserve the right to reject with no refund, if they feel you will not be a valuable addition to the country.
Old May 18th 2014, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

There is a logical point to this. There are a significant number of people who are given PR based on their qualifications, but it is either a case of little to no jobs on offer or those qualifications are not automatically recognised.

I use to work at a Uni in the School of Optometry and there was a gigantic number of people from countries like India, Brazil and Turkey who were given PR status but the relevant Optometry accreditation organisation would not recognise them.

They couldn't just go back to study a portion of a course to 'catch up' because there are very few Optometry Schools and they are almost as competitive as Medicine to get into. Also they are designed to have a strict progression meaning they can not 'skip' parts of it.

Basically in the end virtually none of these people got in and of the handful who did they ended up spending another 5 years studying full time.

Very few of them were Optometrists again, atleast if they stayed in Australia.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
There is a logical point to this. There are a significant number of people who are given PR based on their qualifications, but it is either a case of little to no jobs on offer or those qualifications are not automatically recognised.

I use to work at a Uni in the School of Optometry and there was a gigantic number of people from countries like India, Brazil and Turkey who were given PR status but the relevant Optometry accreditation organisation would not recognise them.

They couldn't just go back to study a portion of a course to 'catch up' because there are very few Optometry Schools and they are almost as competitive as Medicine to get into. Also they are designed to have a strict progression meaning they can not 'skip' parts of it.

Basically in the end virtually none of these people got in and of the handful who did they ended up spending another 5 years studying full time.

Very few of them were Optometrists again, atleast if they stayed in Australia.
That brings to mind Taxi Drivers......
Old May 18th 2014, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

any thoughts ..

It's usually one of two reasons:

Once you open up an immigrant stream for a certain occupation it's gets filled fast but they don't close it fast enough.

Workers get visas for jobs in places no one wants to live, then move to the places people do want to live and flood the job market.
Old May 18th 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

any thoughts ..

Good point.

Another point that I'd like to make is that a lot of people going over to Australia don't always end up doing career-wise what they were supposed to with the Visa they obtained. Which can swing things both ways for the economics of the State.
Old May 21st 2014, 9:23 am
Just Joined

abc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud ofabc1 has much to be proud of

Firstly, most likely the rules to social benefits will change in the near future for PRs just like many countries. Secondly, most new prs will start from scratch with low pay or having a job very different from their degrees.
Old May 21st 2014, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abc1
Secondly, most new prs will start from scratch with low pay or having a job very different from their degrees.
Not sure what this has to do with the question, but what a load of tosh. Every PR I know carried on with their career right where they left off.
Old May 21st 2014, 11:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not sure what this has to do with the question, but what a load of tosh. Every PR I know carried on with their career right where they left off.
Sorry to disagree, but whereas this may be true for all the Ps YOU know, it is not universal. Many people on here have entered the Aussie workforce at a lower level.
Old May 21st 2014, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Every PR I know carried on with their career right where they left off.
And I know lots who haven't, me included. For some, it has been a matter of choice, for others it has been because there simply weren't the jobs available in their field of work.
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Many people on here have entered the Aussie workforce at a lower level.
And others on here have entered the Aussie workforce at a higher level
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:47 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorry to disagree, but whereas this may be true for all the Ps YOU know, it is not universal. Many people on here have entered the Aussie workforce at a lower level.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
And others on here have entered the Aussie workforce at a higher level
There's no one size fits all because there are too many variables involved.

Last edited by paulry; May 22nd 2014 at 2:05 am.
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous 5
And I know lots who haven't, me included. For some, it has been a matter of choice, for others it has been because there simply weren't the jobs available in their field of work.
Or their qualifications weren't recognised in Australia so had to take other work, me included.
Old May 22nd 2014, 4:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or their qualifications weren't recognised in Australia so had to take other work, me included.
Me too....I was so lowly paid I had to take part time work in the sex industry with sex chat lines......mostly self reflective!! Plus my MP keeps winking at me??? what's that all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.