Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia is Expensive?

Why Australia is Expensive?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia is Expensive?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How much is Devondale milk in the UK ?

We pay $1.79 for 2 litres standard milk in my area
Tesco are charging £1.18 for theirs today

It seems Tesco are a tad overpriced....
hmmm...I could plug in a few numbers here - for me. Based on average earnings in industry, country, last salary there, last expected salary there, salary here - expected, average and actual.

They would all return different results. For me, it would be that Australian milk is cheaper - at those prices or they would be about the same. Either way I can buy loads of it.

A tin of something would probably be cheaper in the UK - but which tin, as we are reminded, there are all manner of tins on sale.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
hmmm...I could plug in a few numbers here - for me. Based on average earnings in industry, country, last salary there, last expected salary there, salary here - expected, average and actual.

They would all return different results. For me, it would be that Australian milk is cheaper - at those prices or they would be about the same. Either way I can buy loads of it.

A tin of something would probably be cheaper in the UK - but which tin, as we are reminded, there are all manner of tins on sale.
What are we drinking tonight
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:20 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't that not childish too? You could argue that DJ has no equivalent because it sits between M&S and Harrods. M&S is pure wannabe for the middle classes. Harrods sells it's own brands and others too. Infact David Jones is like a - fook - the name escapes me - (it is in Sloane Square). You're talking to a man who was very selective when it came to some men's wear in one time and place(!)

Alot of their stands sell the same designer gear anyhow. I don't see how they can be crap. I can see the shop is smaller and carries less.
I thought it was very clear I was being purposefully flippant.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alvin77
Although Australia used to be considered as one of the best in dairy products but the price of 1litre Milk (Devondale etc.) is also significantly high.In US one of my fellow used to buy 1Gallon (3.87litres) Milk in $2.Moreover Australia is full of Natural resources but Petrol/Gas is expensive when compared to US [1Gallon $2.5 Texas].Buying house also seems expensive and lower in quality.There are more second graded (in quality) "Chinnese Products" in Australian market then in UK,Canada or US.Why its like that?
Food is expensive in California - cheaper than Australia though.
Petrol is cheaper there because it's taxed less - maybe explains the shocking state of the roads in California..
Houses are generally much cheaper in the US - there is good and bad quality in both countries.
America is full of chinese crap - Wallmart is Chinas 8th largest customer (including countries).
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:25 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So are there no 'crap' shops in the UK?
Well, I didn't actually make the statement ''the UK has no crap shops'', did I, so not sure why you need to say that, other than the usual knee-jerk defensiveness.

However, seeing as you raise the issue, I WOULD make the statement that whilst both the UK and Australia have good shops and bad shops, taken as an overall shops in the UK are generally better than shops in Australia generally are.

By all means believe that Australia has better everything, if you prefer.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
I thought it was very clear I was being purposefully flippant.
Well there you go.....

Anyhow, you had my 'serious' answer too...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:29 am
Banned

Well there you go.....

Anyhow, you had my 'serious' answer too...
Sorry that your unthinking defensiveness suckered you.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
What are we drinking tonight
A tin of something that all those people like to get two for the price of -4....or something.....and there was me, being my most utmost scientific and not trying to get all shouty and miserable about it....
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:34 am
ABCDiamond

By all means believe that Australia has better everything, if you prefer.
I've never heard anyone say that Australia has better everything. Have you ?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry that your unthinking defensiveness suckered you.
You've just proved that you are a waste of oxygen, like many of your ilk.

I've made it quite clear that some things are expensive in Australia. I've even tried to be vaguely analytic about it, rather than jump to conclusions...that only one way can be the case.

Next...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

A tin of something that all those people like to get two for the price of -4....or something.....and there was me, being my most utmost scientific and not trying to get all shouty and miserable about it....
That really won't do now will it? You are on BE after all, get in the spirit
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

You've just proved that you are a waste of oxygen, like many of your ilk.

I've made it quite clear that some things are expensive in Australia. I've even tried to be vaguely analytic about it, rather than jump to conclusions...that only one way can be the case.

Next...
That's better
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've never heard anyone say that Australia has better everything. Have you ?
Yes. All the people on this website who get uptight the instant someone complains about any frigging aspect of the place whatsoever.

What else are they trying to say through their defensiveness other than Australia is beyond reproach? It's either that or a cry for help.

You can't even say Britain has greener grass without some smart-arse trying to prove that it doesn't.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
That's better
Indeed.

Some people...I have maintained for as long as I can remember that for me, some things are expensive, others aren't. I've even taken the trouble to list them at times...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:42 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. All the people on this website who get uptight the instant someone complains about any frigging aspect of the place whatsoever.

What else are they trying to say through their defensiveness other than Australia is beyond reproach? It's either that or a cry for help.

You can't even say Britain has greener grass without some smart-arse trying to prove that it doesn't.
My grass is very green. Both blades too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.