Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia is Expensive?

Why Australia is Expensive?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia is Expensive?

Originally Posted by mono
That's such a dull and ultimately empty answer. OBVIOUSLY Australia is not London - we know that. No one is actually saying ''why isn't Sydney identical to London?'' - they are asking why something is absent/different in Australia, which surely they are allowed to consider.

We can still ask why Australia lacks something that the UK has without saying that we want them to be identical - that response is lazy, cheap and predictable. It doesn't answer the question but merely evades it. If an Aussie asked why the check-out assistants don't automatically pack your bags for you in UK supermarkets I wouldn't turn around to them and say ''cos this is the UK and not Australia''. Why?? Cos that's a childish retort and not an answer.

And why does the UK not have Myer or David Jones???!! That's easy!!! Cos they're crap compared to the equivalents in the UK.
Do you think I should have bothered with the whole population density comparisons between the UK and Australia, or maybe analysed the corporate global expansion policies of a flagship chain of British stores or a single well known store in London ? Perhaps I could have spent time knocking up a nice graph, with some links, maybe used my special blue speculation and conjecture crayon.

Or maybe I gave an answer which had about as much thought put behind it as the question.

As a complete side note though David Jones has a nice selection of Harrods foods, teas and biscuits. I do quite like the English Breakfast tea.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
There are plenty of "god zoners" trying to convince themselves that they are "living the dream".
And they still live in Yorkshire

http://www.godsowncounty.co.uk/

Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
...I just came back from a visit - I couldn't wait to get my credit card out at every possible opportunity!

It was a seriously cheap holiday.
Good job you earn Australian dollars

More Australians last year took overseas holidays than the total foreigners holidaying in Australia from all over the world.

Aussies are really taking advantage of the FX rate.

Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:11 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And they still live in Yorkshire

http://www.godsowncounty.co.uk/
If they are in Yorkshire why do they care if someone makes a comment about Aus?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:15 am
ABCDiamond

I think Aussies going to the UK and moaning about how expensive it supposedly is are doing their own country a great disservice in the long run because as a result of all that Brits come to Australia expecting this cheap paradise and the reality is that Australia is not really that different overall to the UK anymore. Individual items may be cheaper/more expensive but it works out to be roughly the same when you take everything into account.
Maybe many of the Australians who go to the UK do not know where the best places to shop are ? Maybe they pay higher prices than the locals. I know that is what happened when my wife came to the UK, and she found it more expensive.

It is the same as many British in Australia, especially to begin with, who find it more expensive than the locals.

Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:37 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
Australia was affordable 10 years ago but those days are now long gone.

I think the fact that many Brits who have never been automatically assume it would be a cheap paradise. Sterling is not the currencey it once was anymore and the AUD is now the 5th most traded.

The days of 3-1 are long gone.
Three pounds to the dollar is what I'm waiting for.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:58 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alvin77
Hi All,

I personally feel that (in my opinion) that Australia is expensive(grocessory,garments etc.) when I compare it to US or UK?Why its like that.
...possibly because you are trying to compare it to the US or UK !
In my opinion, it's not a relevant comparison to make.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
but it is the only comparison most people can make....if there is any value in comparing things is another issue.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:16 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
If they are in Yorkshire why do they care if someone makes a comment about Aus?
Any more negative comments on Aus and I'll make you sorry you bad person!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:19 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Comparisons are how we assess things in life. When you go to a restaurant, you inevitably compare it to other restaurants you've eaten in, if only by way of making conversation at the very least.

Expecting people not to compare Australia to other countries they've visited/lived in is ridiculous. Why exactly shouldn't they?? Cos you say so??!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Comparisons are how we assess things in life. When you go to a restaurant, you inevitably compare it to other restaurants you've eaten in, if only by way of making conversation at the very least.

Expecting people not to compare Australia to other countries they've visited/lived in is ridiculous. Why exactly shouldn't they?? Cos you say so??!
People will always draw comparisons. Your new car against your old one, your new partner against your old one and so on.
Whether it is fair or not is irrelevant, it is simple human nature. Where and how you live is at or near the top, of anyone's list of important things in life. I think it is pretty fair to assess this aspect of life and past experience of where you have lived previously seems to be reasonable enough as a subject for comparison.

Nobody expects anywhere to be perfect, that's where pros and cons become helpful!!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:42 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
People will always draw comparisons. Your new car against your old one, your new partner against your old one and so on.
Whether it is fair or not is irrelevant, it is simple human nature. Where and how you live is at or near the top, of anyone's list of important things in life. I think it is pretty fair to assess this aspect of life and past experience of where you have lived previously seems to be reasonable enough as a subject for comparison.

Nobody expects anywhere to be perfect, that's where pros and cons become helpful!!
People seem to be suggesting comparisons are unfair.

On the contrary, comparisons are actually very fair because through making comparisons we place things in context and see where they fit in the scheme of things. How do we know a restaurant is good without ANY reference to other restaurants? We can see where that restaurant excelled and where it didn't and where it was simply average by recalling other restaurants.

People compare Revolver with Sgt. Pepper. Is that wrong too because, hey, 'they were recorded at different times so we shouldn't be comparing them' or some such??

Maybe people are simply anxious that Australia might be compared unfavourably with somewhere else and their issue is with that rather than with the act of making comparisons.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:47 am
Account Closed

People seem to be suggesting comparisons are unfair....
I think that even if they were, people would do it. It's exactly why I am still here. I compared my life here, with my life previously. It isn't even a conscious thing, it just happens. If the comparisons I made didn't stack up, I would have left.
For some it doesn't stack up. For some reason, some people don't accept this.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:55 am
Banned

I think that even if they were, people would do it. It's exactly why I am still here. I compared my life here, with my life previously. It isn't even a conscious thing, it just happens. If the comparisons I made didn't stack up, I would have left.
For some it doesn't stack up. For some reason, some people don't accept this.
Some people need the conclusions that they reached by making comparisons to be validated by the conclusions of others after making similar comparisons.

Some people find it distressing to observe that there are those who have trodden a similar path, made similar comparisons but reached a different result.

Hence you get ''you're wrong because it rains too much, the EU is evil, Birmingham is horrible, it's crowded, there's too much CCTV, there's not enough beaches, it's too expensive, Target is better than NEXT, the people aren't friendly'' etc etc etc.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:57 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Any more negative comments on Aus and I'll make you sorry you bad person!
Australia smells of cabbage!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.