Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia is Expensive?

Why Australia is Expensive?

Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:22 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia is Expensive?

I love it when people get upset because someone criticises Australia on this site. Brillant free entertainment.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
What a stupid thing to say.....thats it blame it on the aussie tourists....
There's some merit in it.....although not much!

I knew a lot of Aussies in London before I first visited Aus...and they often used to trot out the 'dollars for pounds thing' i.e. if it cost GBP3 in the UK it would be $3 here. Now maybe it was true at one time, but it certainly hasn't been at any time since I've been here!

And an Aussie friend of mine living in London was telling me that he was flabbergasted when visitors claimed they thought the UK was expensive compared to Aus....Aussie tourists couldn't have it any better visiting the UK than they do now...they were paying the equivalent of $5 for a pint in London and $3.50 for a fresh sandwich!

Many Aussies seem preconditioned to deem the UK expensive regardless of the facts....probably harks back to the $3 to the GBP days and a time when Aus was actually cheap!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:25 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

I knew a lot of Aussies in London before I first visited Aus...and they often used to trot out the 'dollars for pounds thing' i.e. if it cost GBP3 in the UK it would be $3 here. Now maybe it was true at one time, but it certainly hasn't been at any time since I've been here!

And an Aussie friend of mine living in London was telling me that he was flabbergasted when visitors claimed they thought the UK was expensive compared to Aus....Aussie tourists couldn't have it any better visiting the UK than they do now...they were paying the equivalent of $5 for a pint in London and $3.50 for a fresh sandwich!

Many Aussies seem preconditioned to deem the UK expensive regardless of the facts....probably harks back to the $3 to the GBP days and a time when Aus was actually cheap!
Sydney is by far the most expensive place I have ever lived.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:25 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I love it when people get upset because someone criticises Australia on this site. Brillant free entertainment.
Its not that they criticise Australia, its just that they are covering for their own lack of knowledge and ignorance.
I'm sure 90% of people on this forum did ample research and spent hours on the internet, gleening as much info as possible, before commiting to such a huge up-heavel.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:35 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Australia was affordable 10 years ago but those days are now long gone.

I think the fact that many Brits who have never been automatically assume it would be a cheap paradise. Sterling is not the currencey it once was anymore and the AUD is now the 5th most traded.

The days of 3-1 are long gone.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Its not that they criticise Australia, its just that they are covering for their own lack of knowledge and ignorance.
I'm sure 90% of people on this forum did ample research and spent hours on the internet, gleening as much info as possible, before commiting to such a huge up-heavel.
I don't get about it though and certainly don't get overly defensive about it.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Ain't that the truth.

Out come the pitchforks and torches, with cries of 'BURN THE HEATHEN!'...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
The days of 3-1 are long gone.
Even with my limited knowledge of current exchange I know you cannot make a statement like that.

Nothing is certain with forex.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:36 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

You must be the happiest person in the country then. People getting upset when Australia gets criticised is like the sun rise.

Utterly predictable.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And vice versa.

Generally, I find this site to be more anti-Australian tan the other way round - although I'm sure you'll disagree with me.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Even with my limited knowledge of current exchange I know you cannot make a statement like that.

So true, if you go back far enough the GBP has been around the $1.70 before, then it went up to over $3 and now its back down again.

Its likely that it will go up again, probably not as high as $3 unless the UK economy performs a miracle or China either has their own problems or a big falling out with the OZ goverment, but then again it may still go down a fair bit more yet.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:45 am
Banned

And vice versa.

Generally, I find this site to be more anti-Australian tan the other way round - although I'm sure you'll disagree with me.
I think it's pretty even tbh, still don't let it bother me. I know what I like and don't like.

There are plenty of "god zoners" trying to convince themselves that they are "living the dream".
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:11 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld

Same thing has happened here in Canada. I'm thrilled that for the first time in 20 years a trip to Blighty will be cost effective! 5 buck a pint sounds like Nirvana.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Same thing has happened here in Canada. I'm thrilled that for the first time in 20 years a trip to Blighty will be cost effective! 5 buck a pint sounds like Nirvana.
...I just came back from a visit - I couldn't wait to get my credit card out at every possible opportunity!

It was a seriously cheap holiday.

London is also full of EU tourists loading up on bargains...my friends commented that it's something they've really noticed recently.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the fact it's as weak as piss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.