Why Australia?

Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia?

Originally Posted by coolshadows
There are too many feral children with a disruptive influence in government schools.
Generalise much?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You're 17, you have the energy and mindset to experience all the world has to offer. If your mother wants you to develop as a person then I would think she would encourage you to branch out, even though she would miss you.

My advice is to get some kind of working holiday visa and try it out for a bit, if you like it then investigate more permanent options.

I'll leave the last word to Ferris (showing MY age):
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it"

Good luck, enjoy, savour.

(edit) And for Christ's sake, don't try and work out the relative cost of living ... people do that at 37, not 17
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brit Princess xxx
Really? I thought it would be cheaper to live in Australia cause Englands EXPENSIVE. I'm 17, my brother and sister are 15 and 12. I thought the education would be regular?
It can be cheaper, or it can be more expensive, depending where you live, and where you shop. No one person is right in what they say, when they state something as definite for an entire country.

Education is also variable, depending on various factors.

My 14 year old daughter is very happy here, well, as happy as any kid can be going to school

Her and a friend have just nipped into Brisbane for the day, hopefully just window shopping

She has a 14 year cousin in the UK, and when comparing, we feel we are in the better situation in many respects.

My best guess is that
55.09% feel that moving to Australia was the best thing for them
21.76% feel that moving to Australia was NOT the best thing for them
23.15% haven't really decided yet

And if you haven't guessed, no, that wasn't a guess, it was a representation of 216 recent migrants.

The number disappointed with Australia is higher these days than it used to be, possibly because in previous times, expectations may not have been as high as they seem to be now.

Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The number disappointed with Australia is higher these days than it used to be, possibly because in previous times, expectations may not have been as high as they seem to be now.
..or possibly that arriving in the past, with a big wedge of cash, made on a stupidly over priced UK home, made starting out here that bit easier than the exchange rate and Oz house prices allows for now?
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
..or possibly that arriving in the past, with a big wedge of cash, made on a stupidly over priced UK home, made starting out here that bit easier than the exchange rate and Oz house prices allows for now?
I assume you're talking about the fairly recent past. When I came wages/salaries and house prices were much higher. Food was cheaper.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I assume you're talking about the fairly recent past. When I came wages/salaries and house prices were much higher. Food was cheaper.
Yes. The last couple of years, for people coming out of the UK at least, must have been much tougher, financially, than say the five years or so prior.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:47 am
ABCDiamond

Maybe in some years, but other years where the rate was about 1.8, 1996 ? or 1.9 in 1986, and UK house prices were not stupidly high.

We just didn't have so much info to create dreams of gold, that turned out not to be true. But even starting from scratch in 1986, I think I was down to about $5k before I began working. And I was renting a small 2 bed unit. Within 5 years I had bought a house.

It all depends on what people are wanting. Instant perfection or normal life with more sun

Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:29 am
wanting an adventure

Brit Princess xxx is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some of you think I'm planning to come to australia by myself. But im asking this question for the whole family cause my mums crappy with computers and genereally technology. Well I think we've decided that as ive only got one more year till I finish my A levels I can finish that then maybe go on a gapyear to see what it's like to live in australia.

Ive been there a few times before and I recon id like it more there than here, the weathers nicer, people are more laidback and i dunno it just seems more relaxing and not as much pressure put on 17 year olds aha.

Cheers for all your comments btw xx
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Quality of life probably edges it here than in the UK for many/most. I think it's a bit easier here to find a decent place to live than it is in the UK. If you are already living happily in the UK though then it's an awful lot to throw away on the off chance it might be better here in Australia.

Cost of living, especially for new migrants is a bit of an eye opener. If you compare like for like between the UK and Oz then Oz is currently staggeringly expensive... but it's a bit deceptive. Exchange rate movements between the two countries have distorted things and people will probably get paid more here than the UK. As an example, if somebody currently earns 30,000 pounds in the UK and thinks that the equivalent $52,000pa would give them the same buying power here in Oz then they are in for a very nasty shock.
Couldn't have said it better (whole post).

(Specifically - 53k is a literal pittance. It's sort of what you get in your second job after school and maybe your first grad job. Only salaries I have seen lower are for 16-17 year olds or for unskilled jobs. Literally unskilled.)

Some people seem to move because they are bored. That could be dangerous.

I'll also say that a lot of people have nothing but apparent institutionalised dislikes of Australia, often the result of poor conditions and a succession of poor experiences. I think this is different from finding fault, having balanced views or just not being massively impressed with the place - and it takes all sorts. You have to take these into account along with the people who are doing well. Many people fall somewhere in the middle. I'd say - look closely at why people are doing well, and why some people are not doing so well..
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Couldn't have said it better (whole post).

(Specifically - 53k is a literal pittance. It's sort of what you get in your second job after school and maybe your first grad job. Only salaries I have seen lower are for 16-17 year olds or for unskilled jobs. Literally unskilled.)

Some people seem to move because they are bored. That could be dangerous.

I'll also say that a lot of people have nothing but apparent institutionalised dislikes of Australia, often the result of poor conditions and a succession of poor experiences. I think this is different from finding fault, having balanced views or just not being massively impressed with the place - and it takes all sorts. You have to take these into account along with the people who are doing well. Many people fall somewhere in the middle. I'd say - look closely at why people are doing well, and why some people are not doing so well..
I hate to tell you this Badge but there is a huge number of people who live on less than 53k! Many of us aren't unskilled, nor are we teenagers, nor do we consider that we are living on a "literal pittance". Don't be so dismisive of those of us who don't meet your high standards
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of you think I'm planning to come to australia by myself. But im asking this question for the whole family cause my mums crappy with computers and genereally technology. Well I think we've decided that as ive only got one more year till I finish my A levels I can finish that then maybe go on a gapyear to see what it's like to live in australia.

Ive been there a few times before and I recon id like it more there than here, the weathers nicer, people are more laidback and i dunno it just seems more relaxing and not as much pressure put on 17 year olds aha.

Wish I was 17 and hat innocent all over again!!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:03 pm
Banned

arrrobbbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to persuade my mum that moving to Australia is a better option than staying in England. What points could I make that shows that Australia is a better option than England?

She's worried about employment for teachers there, education for us children and the cost of living. Alsoo what places are nice to live in around Australia.

Thankyou xx
There is no better option than England.The U.K is the light that the world follows.We made much of the world what it is today.We brought parliamentary democracy and the rights of the individual to the fore.Moving to Australia would be a move backwards unless the idea is to try and teach Australians how to improve their lives by emulating what we here in the U.K. take for granted.Even then it could only be for a short time as a Britisher could not possibly settle in such a country.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arrrobbbie
There is no better option than England.The U.K is the light that the world follows.We made much of the world what it is today.We brought parliamentary democracy and the rights of the individual to the fore.Moving to Australia would be a move backwards unless the idea is to try and teach Australians how to improve their lives by emulating what we here in the U.K. take for granted.Even then it could only be for a short time as a Britisher could not possibly settle in such a country.
Gosh, and here I was thinking democracy was a Greek thing?

What's a Britisher???

Are you being ironic?
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I read your thread earlier and didn't think you were planning to come to Australia by yourself, but I must admit it crossed my mind that is probably what you should be considering ... at some point in the next few years that is.

It seems like Australia might be your dream not your mothers. I wonder if perhaps she is quite happy where she is and perhaps she does not want to go to Australia and perhaps she does not think that it is the best option for your younger brother and sister. If your mother is worried about jobs, education and cost of living, then based on everything I have read so far I am inclined to think her concerns could be well founded.

For every good point that somebody comes up with about Australia, there is bound to be somebody else who comes up with a bad point. There is no rigth or wrong answer to the question "which is the better option". They both have pros and cons. Australia works for some, not for others. I am sure some people are laid back and others are not. Same as in UK really.

You are young but in the next few years there will be options for your to explore the Australia idea by yourself, a gap year either after A levels or after university sounds like a very good plan.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss in dubai
Gosh, and here I was thinking democracy was a Greek thing?

What's a Britisher???

Are you being ironic?

Originally Posted by arrrobbbie
Sounds like colonialism to me - AKA arrogance.

Where did you 'learn' to read and write?

(The troll lives for another day)

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 26th 2010 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:41 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Sounds like colonialism to me - AKA arrogance.

Where did you 'learn' to read and write?

(The troll lives for another day)
The troll doesn't any longer, he has been banned for stirring trouble elsewhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.