Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why`s it called Manchester???

Why`s it called Manchester???

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:29 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Why`s it called Manchester???

Dear Forum,
Hoping somone out there can answer my question. I work at Target in Robina, Gold Coast, and customers keep asking me to direct them to Manchester. Surely not the Manchster I know, and after asking some of the staff, I found out that manchester means towels, bedding, linen etc. Does anyone know why. Sorry to have such a sad question to try and get you guys to answer, Regards Louisa.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:33 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Why`s it called Manchester???

Originally Posted by robertd
Dear Forum,
Hoping somone out there can answer my question. I work at Target in Robina, Gold Coast, and customers keep asking me to direct them to Manchester. Surely not the Manchster I know, and after asking some of the staff, I found out that manchester means towels, bedding, linen etc. Does anyone know why. Sorry to have such a sad question to try and get you guys to answer, Regards Louisa.

OOOOO OOO OOOO I know this one, thanks to Mairi (Vegimite Kids)

It's because in the early days all the 'linens' etc where brought over frm the cooton mills in Manchester!!

Jill

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:33 am
rudo1ph

Dear Forum,

This one had me confused for a while - I thought Australians must be a Man United loving nation..........

I was told that the home of linen making back in the olden days was "Manchester" in the UK so that's where the name comes from. Might be totally wrong of course, but that's what I was told.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:35 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
This one had me confused for a while - I thought Australians must be a Man United loving nation..........

I was told that the home of linen making back in the olden days was "Manchester" in the UK so that's where the name comes from. Might be totally wrong of course, but that's what I was told.

SNAP - two of us can't be wrong

Jill

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:38 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!

frm the cooton mills
Jill
Think I have a problem with my 'o'

Jill

Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:39 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester (i.e. the city) was a big centre of the cotton industry in the late 18th and the 19th century, and into the 20th century as well, and so cotton goods (principally sheets and towels) were given that name too: 'Manchester goods' became simply 'manchester'. The term used to be used in Britain as well, although it has fallen into complete disuse there.

The term is still used in Australia, but as far as I can make out its use is totally confined to shops, principally department stores (the manchester department - as you say, being asked by someone to 'direct me to manchester', meaning the manchester department). I don't think people use it of the sheets and towels in their house.

The use of the word 'linen' to refer to sheets and towels is even sillier, because apart from tea towels, hardly any sheets and towels are made of linen these days.
Dear Forum,

Last edited by CPW; Oct 25th 2004 at 6:41 am.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:47 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by CPW
Manchester (i.e. the city) was a big centre of the cotton industry in the late 18th and the 19th century, and into the 20th century as well, and so cotton goods (principally sheets and towels) were given that name too: 'Manchester goods' became simply 'manchester'. The term used to be used in Britain as well, although it has fallen into complete disuse there.

The term is still used in Australia, but as far as I can make out its use is totally confined to shops, principally department stores (the manchester department - as you say, being asked by someone to 'direct me to manchester', meaning the manchester department). I don't think people use it of the sheets and towels in their house.

The use of the word 'linen' to refer to sheets and towels is even sillier, because apart from tea towels, hardly any sheets and towels are made of linen these days.
And what about lolly's?

Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:22 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Hello,
Just a little point but in the 18th cent the linnen trade was not in Manchester but in Oldham which is about 10 miles outside the city centre. They still have a lot of the old mills standing, some are ruins and some have been turned into offices.
Not that it really matters but i thought i would just say