Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's going to Perth???

Who's going to Perth???

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:34 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's going to Perth???

Just wondering out of everyone who has received/in the process of applying for their visas, how many of you are planning to go to Perth....and which suburb? and why?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay 88 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Who's going to Perth???

Hi there

We're planning to go to Perth - I have to say mainly because hubby has cousins there so we will have a ready made social circle. We visited in January this year and enjoyed the city - just the right size for us as we're not big city people. I really liked the open spaces and the good set up in the suburbs, and of course the beautiful beaches all around. We're not sure about suburb but Rockingham/Mandurah keeps drawing us - the lifestyle is just what we are looking for, and hopefully the new train line will enable us to work in Perth CBD if necessary, although ideally would want to work either part time, or with less of a commute. I'm in HR and hubby has his own business importing/selling Jap sports cars, which hopefully he could still do in Oz.

Jayne
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:02 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going to Perth???

Originally Posted by JayJay 88
Hi there

We're planning to go to Perth - I have to say mainly because hubby has cousins there so we will have a ready made social circle. We visited in January this year and enjoyed the city - just the right size for us as we're not big city people. I really liked the open spaces and the good set up in the suburbs, and of course the beautiful beaches all around. We're not sure about suburb but Rockingham/Mandurah keeps drawing us - the lifestyle is just what we are looking for, and hopefully the new train line will enable us to work in Perth CBD if necessary, although ideally would want to work either part time, or with less of a commute. I'm in HR and hubby has his own business importing/selling Jap sports cars, which hopefully he could still do in Oz.

Jayne
Sounds good....We would like to live nearish to the beach/coast. North of Perth, but not too far away 1/2 hour at the most. Is a great place you are right, we went there in April. Have got friends there already...
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:48 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - we are hopefully heading to Perth in 07, not sure where we want to settle just yet (suppose it will all come down to where we can afford in the end). Trouble is I keep looking at the real estate sites and thinking ooh that looks nice (unbtil I see something else 5 minutes later). The other big factor will be where we can get work - I suppose it`s too early and with too many variables for us to pin it down at the mo
Old Jul 4th 2005, 7:14 am
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

We have our visas are going to Validate on the 14th August. Have not sold house yet so will be back. Mandurah sounds good to us has always drawn me in went on hoilday a few times and I know I would love to live there.
But when we come over will be staying with my Mum she is in Rockingham at the moment. Hubbie and kids have never been to oz before, but I used to live in Beckingham,Perth went to school in Cannington when I was a tenager. We are really looking forward to going even though I know we will not want to come back. It has took forever to get this far. Now house is taking forever been on since Oct. Have dropped 50k do not want to drop anymore, so will make another decision when we get back from Oz. Back on the 1st Sept.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:00 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We're not going to "Perth" as such, Western Australia definitely although like the look of Bunbury but will depend on where Malc gets work.

Like the look of Mandurah also...
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

we will be in Perth from the 22nd August. We are starting in Rockingham but our end destination will depend on getting a job
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:53 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

You may have all seen it but I've got a forum specifically for WA if you're interested: www.expatsinwa.tk

Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

Hi We are heading to Perth September(unless the nerves completely get the better of us!!) Ideally we'd like to live Floreat/Wembley Downs area but house prices are continually rising it seems in that area. Its a case really of once there looking and being in a position to make an offer.
Would really like to hear what Coolbinia is like? as I haven't been able to find any info. on it?
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We should be in Perth by early October. We ended up with Perth by a process of elimination really as other places were too expensive, too muggy or too weird (you know where I mean!).

We will probably end up in the Nothern Suburbs somewhere but as Perth is the one place we didn't visit two years ago that is only because that seems the norm.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Always planned on Perth as my folks live out there, no idea of which suburb as yet. May have a look at Melborne when I get out there - it seems there are alot more jobs in my area there!?
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:44 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Hi there,

we are going to Perth too; I am a Perth Girl originally so know the areas quite well - we are looking to live as close to Freo as possible - probably going to end up in Beaconsfield/Palmyra although ideally I'd like somewhere like East Fremantle.

We're going to live there because my hubby is British and we feel that going into the depths of suburbia is too much of a culture shock for us (him especially) moving from Bristol. We both love Fremantle, the access to pubs/cafes/restaurants and the beach too is what does it for us. My parents live south of Mandurah, so access to Stock Road/ Rockingham road/Freeway is important to us and it knocks out the Northern suburbs (although once you live in Perth you'll realise that having lived in the Southern Suburbs as a child I would find it nigh on impossible to go North of the River.... )

I work in advertising (part time at the moment as I am pregnant and have a 16 month old!) and my hubby works in IT sales so we will probably need good access to the city (although we are planning for me to be a full-time stay at home mum for a few years when we get there) for work - so we might also look at the suburbs along Canning Highway as well.

Michelle
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Oakie will become famous soon enoughOakie will become famous soon enough

Yep, me too - my girlfriend's sister is based in Duncraig, so we'll go reasonably close to there to start, but I fancy some of the areas closer to the city (soooooooo-bi!!) but definitely north of the river.

Its funny, I always planned to go to NZ from my teens onwards and never really fancied Auz, but ended up going to a wedding there last year. I went very open minded about the place and had no preconceptions about living there. It took about a week for me to say, er, yes this'll do.

We hope to be there in October, just the for the start of the Freo doctor season. Party on...
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:21 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Just wondering out of everyone who has received/in the process of applying for their visas, how many of you are planning to go to Perth....and which suburb? and why?
We are also heading to Perth (hopefully). Not dead set on anywhere yet but like the look of the hills area's ... or anywhere not too far from Perth CBD for other halfs job.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:48 am
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road

Heading to the Northern suburbs of Perth, I have a sister there who emigrated 15 years ago.

Hope to be out there for late September, this all dependant on house sale completing, this is the single most frustrating and anxious part of the whole move. Selling the house, makes the visa process look easy.

I think Perth has the right balance of size, facilities and ambience that will suit our needs. I am tired of the rat race and look forward to a more layed back life.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.