Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who is sick of Australia?

Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who is sick of Australia?

Originally Posted by Evelin
it was in the news today, 77,000 Aussies left permanently within the less 12 months,
How do they know these people have left permanently? Have they all since died, or had their passports permanently removed?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DianneH68
If you want beer, check out Lambs Go Bar on Greeves Street just off Smith St in Fitzroy.
If you can't find a beer there to suit you then you might as well give up! It's a great little pub too.

Check out their drinks list

http://www.lambsgobar.com.au/fridge/
I've seen it, but not been in yet. On the list and only ten minutes walk from home. Trust I'll find the Goat, Red Hill, Hargreaves and hopefully some new ones... Yet to find anything to top Hargreaves Hill's ESB or the Goat's double IPA
Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by koalatea
I've seen it, but not been in yet. On the list and only ten minutes walk from home. Trust I'll find the Goat, Red Hill, Hargreaves and hopefully some new ones... Yet to find anything to top Hargreaves Hill's ESB or the Goat's double IPA
Good luck in your search! Lambs is a dangerous place - far too many things to try, and once you start working your way down the list...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
How do they know these people have left permanently? Have they all since died, or had their passports permanently removed?
You tick the box labelled "leaving Australia permanently" on the departure card.

Which makes me think the majority would be disgruntled immigrants because I don't think Aussies off to London or the USA for a few years for work would tick that box.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:28 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

it was in the news today, 77,000 Aussies left permanently within the less 12 months, highest number ever. Most of them skilled. There is more to the world than sunshine
Well Ihad 44 years of constant rain and drizzle in crappy Manchester...so bring on the sun.

Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
You tick the box labelled "leaving Australia permanently" on the departure card.

Which makes me think the majority would be disgruntled immigrants because I don't think Aussies off to London or the USA for a few years for work would tick that box.
if I remember correctly from my Tourism studies here in Perth, permanently is when you intend to be away for more than 1 year.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

if I remember correctly from my Tourism studies here in Perth, permanently is when you intend to be away for more than 1 year.
really? That's funny. In relation to some of the comments on this thread anyway
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
really? That's funny. In relation to some of the comments on this thread anyway
sorry, they are called 'longterm departures' but not permanent.

According to ABS:

Permanent departures are:

* Australian residents (including former settlers) who on departure state that they are departing permanently.
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]&num=&view=
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

In recent years, for the first time in Australia's history, the numbers of 'native' Australians leaving the country outweighs the numbers of migrants returning to their place of birth... not sure if this is a reflection on Australia itself or just evidence of the greater mobility of people in a global economy.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GordonH
I am sick

what do I see in OZ?
..dogdy job agents, real estate agents, poor quality houses and items, poor customer service, overpriced, overrated "Oz is the best"...what more?
I know what you mean. I mean how could you possibly like the following:

A 5 minute walk to the beach every morning with the dog.
People stopping and chatting to you all the time and being so happy at 6 a.m in the morning.
Walking along the beautiful beach with islands in the background, plam trees and the rainforest as a backdrop.
Even dogs are chilled out here and it has rubbed off on my dog..he is officially a liad back ozzie dog now!
Being invited to BBQ's, boat trips or out for a meal on the esplanade.
Wearing shorts and T.Shirt for work and getting paid more for a 4 day week than I did for a 5 day in the U.K
Long, winding quiet coastal and country roads...terrible for motorbiking!
A traffic jam of 6 cars on the way to work, I must contact transport dept.
Laying by the pool on days off surrounded by palm trees and still feeling like I am on holiday.
Having the choice of city, beach, rainforest, barrier reef or countryside every weekend. How are you suposed to decide what to do?
Free festivals, free swimming lagoons, free yoga etc etc..not used to getting anything free!
Being able to reply on the weather.

Well, I dont know how much more of this happiness I can stand. better go back to U.k and be a whinging old pom...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mindblower
Well Ihad 44 years of constant rain and drizzle in crappy Manchester...so bring on the sun.

My last 4 years were in mancs so I know where you are coming from..I dont miss that constant drizzle and dull, grey days that last from Sept to may!!!!
Hope you are happy in Perth. I am in cairns and loving it.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tripawaymars;6851732]Wearing shorts and T.Shirt for work and getting paid more for a 4 day week than I did for a 5 day in the U.K
QUOTE]

What sort of work would that be and at what exchange rate are you using ?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not me.

The good outweighs the bad.
By a long way...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Australia is not heaven for everyone.
Some people do not think everything is wonderful.
Not everyone finds they have a better life once they get here.
Not everyone can just "go home".

It would be appreciated if people could take a step back and remember that everyones experiences are individual, and they are all welcome on this site. All we ask is that you are all considerate towards each other, and you all remember to respect the views of those around you.
All experiences are welcome. I just feel sorry for the sods who could have done OK here if they had made better choices, or those who do not find what they are looking for on their return.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Trip........."Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty" - frank /Shameless -lol
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:25 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GordonH
Maybe that should read "who is sick of Australians?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.