Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who is sick of Australia?

who is sick of Australia?

Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who is sick of Australia?

I've recently met a Brit family who are the proverbial whinging poms.
Anything and everything is compared to "how it was in the UK".
Next stop for them is likely to be a return to the homeland.

If you come to Australia and live your life comparing it to the UK and it's standards you are on a loser and it has to be asked why come in the first place ?

In most cases you will have grown up in the UK and subconsciously inherited it's prejudices. Emigrating means moving into the realms of different prejudices no matter what country you go to. It's a different way of life.

If you are not prepared to embrace the new country for what it is, if you are not prepared to broaden and stretch your comfort zone, if you are not prepared to live a new life, then why bother ?

The magnetism of family and friends cannot be estimated. Only with experience will you know whether you can live without them or not.

Yet many reasons I see for disliking Australia and returning to the UK are tangible, physical things which quite honestly could have been discovered with research. Read the forums, ask the questions. The replies will be based on personal experiences of others but they do offer a very good guide framework.

But if you are not willing to be openminded and accepting of change then you are wasting your time and money even contemplating emigrating to Australia or any other country on the planet.

As the cliche goes, it aint the UK with sunshine, and thank fook for that.
Personally I don't want this place influenced into change by UKism whether it be football shirted lager swilling yobs, suited yuppie coffee freaks or Burberry chavs.

I want Australia to follow it's own destiny; warts and all.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

If you come to Australia and live your life comparing it to the UK and it's standards you are on a loser and it has to be asked why come in the first place ?

In most cases you will have grown up in the UK and subconsciously inherited it's prejudices. Emigrating means moving into the realms of different prejudices no matter what country you go to. It's a different way of life.

If you are not prepared to embrace the new country for what it is, if you are not prepared to broaden and stretch your comfort zone, if you are not prepared to live a new life, then why bother ?

The magnetism of family and friends cannot be estimated. Only with experience will you know whether you can live without them or not.

Yet many reasons I see for disliking Australia and returning to the UK are tangible, physical things which quite honestly could have been discovered with research. Read the forums, ask the questions. The replies will be based on personal experiences of others but they do offer a very good guide framework.

But if you are not willing to be openminded and accepting of change then you are wasting your time and money even contemplating emigrating to Australia or any other country on the planet.

Personally I don't want this place influenced into change by UKism whether it be football shirted lager swilling yobs, suited yuppie coffee freaks or Burberry chavs.

Word up!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix

bix for gawds sake its the guys 2nd post and if its gordy i know, he was just venting, he likes the place (and coping), a helluva lot better than me, hes a top bloke, just goes to show how cyber world can be so misleading. I have never heard him mention BE before, he always used bordys site (and am sure bordy will vouch for the guy too). I think he's stumbled on this site and posted 'off the cuff', without realising the crazy BE politics involved, and how some of the politicians on here think their shit dont stink, lol, and am sure, as usual it will turn into people being 'oh so witty' about living in aus, i've read these posts a hundred times, its like living in a repition world on BE, which is why people seek out other sites, we've read all the insulting arguments before, and i dare say we will read them all again.

Well at least its reminded me not to read too much into posts and that people's posts do not reflect the people they are, i just cant believe this thread, its a load of crap over a few words,

I bet he'll look at this shake his head, laugh at the pish on it and reach for another beer while enjoying the lovely suburb he stays in, the guys had a bad day!!!!!!,

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 6th 2008 at 12:58 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default who is sick of Australia?

I rather like the sunshine and the heat.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RepoMonkey
I quite like living here. I liked living in the UK too.
thankfully the voice of reason has turned up
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

oh dear I don't know whether I can stand it anymore - the sun, the surf, watching the whales from the cafe, having to slap so much factor 30+ on every morning, having to clean the leaves out of the pool, having to wax the surfboard every other week, and I'm just sick of all of those pretty parrots hanging around on the garden fence and as for the koalas in the trees - what a pain - yes the UK has its draws - I mean who could resist the rain, the damp, the queues, the road rage, the recession, the negative house prices, the bickering, the politics - well there is no competition really eh!

Last edited by jellibaby; Oct 6th 2008 at 12:27 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Not me, as Amazulu says the good outweighs the bad, by miles.

Here's the directions to the airport:

http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/to_from_airport/
Well, when you arrive back in UK, you may just appreciate the good things here.

Do you really prefer BROWNS BRITAIN ?? lol

Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

Originally Posted by jellibaby
oh dear I don't know whether I can stand it anymore - the sun, the surf, watching the whales from the cafe, having to slap so much factor 30+ on every morning, having to clean the leaves out of the pool, having to wax the surfboard every other week, and I'm just sick of all of those pretty parrots hanging around on the garden fence and as for the koalas in the trees - what a pain - yes the UK has its draws - I mean who could resist the rain, the damp, the queues, the road rage, the recession, the negative house prices, the bickering, the politics - well there is no competition really eh!
Well said. Im havent moved yet. But there are a number reasons for leaving the UK. Yeah I like living here. But they are not the reasons for which Im moving the family to Brisbane. I want a different way of life, the sun, a new beginning for all the family, a new challenge. If I wanted old humdrum and safe in my comfort zone, I would have stayed where I am. We only better ourselves with new challenges and experiences, and they dont come much bigger than moving the family to the other side of the world.

Roll on our departure to Brisbane on the 25th Nov
08, and all the challenges it will throw at us.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Probably the wrong forum to ask that question but, yup, am utterly sick of it and have been for years - boredom set in a while ago and even the sunshine gets to be a downer when you have nothing else and you scour the bom site for storm cells every day just to get a few drops of rain. Unfortunately stuck here until the end of my days so if you have a chance to escape, do so now before you get to a point of no return.

Come and live in Ireland then, no shortage of the wet stuff here...and your welcome to it...I've had 12 years of crap summers and I can't wait to get to Oz....

Count your blessings.....whingeing POMS

(Originally a North Londoner...now living in Northern Ireland....)
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
certainly sick of the beer.

With one or two notable exceptions it is shite.

G
Yes - it is crap. I'm even sick of Little Creatures now.

There's a place near us which sells imported ales from England - you know the type that cost 5 GBP for four in the local supermarket - Fursty Ferret, Wadworths etc.

Here they cost $7 or $8...for one!

I still can't resist getting two or three once every few weeks - just because they taste so different and are so full of flavour.
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
... I think he's stumbled on this thread and posted 'off the cuff', without realising the crazy BE politics involved.
How do you stumble across a thread that you start
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brucekaren
Well said. Im havent moved yet. But there are a number reasons for leaving the UK. Yeah I like living here. But they are not the reasons for which Im moving the family to Brisbane. I want a different way of life, the sun, a new beginning for all the family, a new challenge. If I wanted old humdrum and safe in my comfort zone, I would have stayed where I am. We only better ourselves with new challenges and experiences, and they dont come much bigger than moving the family to the other side of the world.

Roll on our departure to Brisbane on the 25th Nov
08, and all the challenges it will throw at us.
Hey 24th Nov 07 is the time we arrived in Aussie - awesome! Almost a year ago! I'm STILL unemployed and I don't care! I wake up EVERY morning with a big grin and have loved EVERY single day. I might go back for the 2012 Olympics - it will be interesting to see how London handles the event. Another year to go to citizenship. I LOVE Australia - I NEVER felt this way about the UK!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Hey 24th Nov 07 is the time we arrived in Aussie - awesome! Almost a year ago! I'm STILL unemployed and I don't care! I wake up EVERY morning with a big grin and have loved EVERY single day. I might go back for the 2012 Olympics - it will be interesting to see how London handles the event. Another year to go to citizenship. I LOVE Australia - I NEVER felt this way about the UK!
i'd be grinning too, if after a year i was still unemployed
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
How do you stumble across a thread that you start
ok smart arse, point taken, i changed the stumble thread to stumble site, lol,

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 6th 2008 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know I will get the same pile of abuse I expect in my inbox now when wading into a thread like this....BUT.....

Australia is not heaven for everyone.
Some people do not think everything is wonderful.
Not everyone finds they have a better life once they get here.
Not everyone can just "go home".

BE exists for the benefit of those who are struggling as well as for those who think it is great.

It would be appreciated if people could take a step back and remember that everyones experiences are individual, and they are all welcome on this site. All we ask is that you are all considerate towards each other, and you all remember to respect the views of those around you.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 6th 2008 at 1:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.