Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:42 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Tried sending you some karma, it wouldn't let me, so here's a big hug instead

Sam
Thanks Sam
We have to validate by October.......but didn't want the girls to start the new school year in Sept to be taken out of school to validate then.......so we have decided to validate in the summer holidays, July or August. Prices for flights seem much higher then though, so we are thinking of validating in May instead to save some money.

Originally Posted by dejags
Not sure where you are going to in Aus but wintertime in QLD is absolutely fab by UK standards. Not so good in other parts of Aus though.

Good luck for selling your house!

PS: have you tried the obvious things - springcleaning/decluttering, getting rid of any obvious defects, sprucing up the entrance (ala housedoctor). We have just sold and completely housedoctored our house before we put it on the market. It seemed to work a charm - we ensured that there was nothing to dislike in our house and ended up selling in less than 4 months - which in this market is a miracle. Make sure you listen to what the few viewers you are getting are telling you - if they all consistently say that they hate the lounge carpet, then get rid. We also ensured that we went with the "busiest" estate agent - they may charge a bit more in commission but if they get the job done then it's worth a bit more.
Heading for Tasmania.....so if we have to validate we should really make an effort to actually go there to 'see' it with our own eyes.......hence the extra costs with flights
We've got the house looking lovely......just can't seem to get any viewers through the front door!!!!! Wouldn't mind if there was a problem with house.....I could sort it out!!!

Originally Posted by Lornagoingtobrissy
hi we have to validate by july 4th
so have booked flights for end of may costing us 4k for fights alone never thought we wud be in this position worked so hard ova the last yr paying off debts just to pile them up again. But wot can we do give up ?
no chance not after all the things we have told the kids.

Lorna
Yeah....we've had a hard time getting our visas.......so we're not giving up just yet......it's just another hurdle to jump, albeit an expensive one!!!!

Originally Posted by stariston
This in my opinion is the most ludicrous situation to be in shorley you
could explain your situations to the issuing body and get some extension
to the situation the amounts of money some people are using just to return
to the uk is crazy

I dont think the system was designed for that purpose maybe the issuing
body have a valid reason to have people settle at certain times due to
employment shortages economy etc SHORELEYeven in the best of times property dont sell like hot cakes sorry dont mean
to sound decronian but what a bloody waste of money
Think you mean 'surely'....LOL
DIAC do not give anyone an extension on their visa validating date due to lack of selling a house unfortunately
Our house has been on the market for over a year already.....and we weren't expecting it to sell quickly, but time seems to be running out for us

Originally Posted by lolylew
hi

interesting thread...............

our house is currently on the market & we've only had 2 viewings so far (in about 5/6 weeks)

we are due to validate by october this year, so may also soon be in the same position where we have to go & validate and return to the uk

we have thought about the option of renting our house out, but are slightly worried if at any time the property is vacant we will have to pay the mortgage

and also the fact that when we are ready to sell it again, what condition will it be in

i know all this isnt unsolvable, but it does make things very awkward.

i'm glad this thread is here so we can all give support and update everyone on our progress (or lack of it unfortunately :curse

lisa
Thanks for your support. There's a few of us now going through this worry of house selling in time......let's hope things work out for all of us very soon!!!!
Beth x x
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

[QUOTE=BethandAndrew;6162391]Thanks Sam
We have to validate by October.......but didn't want the girls to start the new school year in Sept to be taken out of school to validate then.......so we have decided to validate in the summer holidays, July or August. Prices for flights seem much higher then though, so we are thinking of validating in May instead to save some money.

Heading for Tasmania.....so if we have to validate we should really make an effort to actually go there to 'see' it with our own eyes.......hence the extra costs with flights
We've got the house looking lovely......just can't seem to get any viewers through the front door!!!!! Wouldn't mind if there was a problem with house.....I could sort it out!!!

Yeah....we've had a hard time getting our visas.......so we're not giving up just yet......it's just another hurdle to jump, albeit an expensive one!!!!

Think you mean 'surely'....LOL
DIAC do not give anyone an extension on their visa validating date due to lack of selling a house unfortunately
Our house has been on the market for over a year already.....and we weren't expecting it to sell quickly, but time seems to be running out for us

well if a spelling error gets your book or is it back up god help the house viewers
look wasnt having a to have a go but you must admit its a stupid ruling try selling
a house in the west of Sydney you think the uk has got problems and to
spentd crazy amounts on trips to Australia you dont want or to just get a
stamp in your passport is crazy
anyway good luck but just cant get head round it sorry
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:11 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

well if a spelling error gets your book or is it back up god help the house viewers
look wasnt having a to have a go but you must admit its a stupid ruling try selling
a house in the west of Sydney you think the uk has got problems and to
spentd crazy amounts on trips to Australia you dont want or to just get a
stamp in your passport is crazy
anyway good luck but just cant get head round it sorry[/QUOTE]

Sorry, wasn't being funny
Looks like we will have to validate soon, and spend some money, so I should stop moaning and just get on with it. At least we have our visas......I know some people who can't get a visa.
UK housing market is very slow at the moment, so we have to consider all of our options.
Beth x x
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:54 am
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Hi Clare,
We've dropped to the lowest price we can go to.......so it is a bloody bargain for someone at £159,995!!!!!! Was £200k.
We paid £150k for it 2 years ago.......so not making any money by selling anyway
Hopefully we will laugh about this hassle one day!!!!
Well done on selling yours hun,
Beth x x
If you cut the price by another £8K which is the same cost as validating wouldn't that be an option? Someone gave you lousy advice to put it on at £200K in the first place- 25% profit in two years? Who were they kidding?

Depends whether you want to make money or emigrate I suppose, brutal as that sounds, and on the mortgage of course as I am sure you won't want to be in negative equity.

Caroline
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sam
Beth, I know its far from ideal, we went at beginning of June and I have to say Tas was beautiful and not all busy so we could go round and see things without too many other folk! We only had a week as we also went to Melbourne and Adelaide but I reckon you could see quite a lot in 2 weeks

We've got the house looking lovely......just can't seem to get any viewers through the front door!!!!! Wouldn't mind if there was a problem with house.....I could sort it out!!! Beth x x :wub

Hi, we're getting the viewers, lots of them, they all love the house (apparently) but so not so keen on the estate setting. I just wish they would drive around before making a viewing as they would then know what they are getting!
Had an offer this morning £35K less than the asking price, and we have already dropped, getting lower all the time, if we can just get another £10K from them, we'd do a deal
:
Hoping for some buyers soon, just one, that's all you need!

Sam
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Elaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really nice

Hi All

We were in the same boat, had to validate visa before 4th April. Put house on the market last july got an offer in december but in the chain.

Just back from validating the visa and I have to say even tho we're in more debt now it was worth it. Put hubbys mind at rest that there is plenty of jobs for him as a baker and the house's we looked at are affordable.

We went for 3 wks flew with Eithad airlines which we're very good, stayed in Brisbane for 2 nights then rented a camper for 2 wks headed up the sunshine coast, then back to Brisbane for 3 nights before the flight home.

Was hoping that the ppl buying ours would have had an offer but no such luck, at least now the pressure is off and we know as soon as the contract is signed and the money in the bank we can go.

Elaine
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:19 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by CarolineW
If you cut the price by another £8K which is the same cost as validating wouldn't that be an option? Someone gave you lousy advice to put it on at £200K in the first place- 25% profit in two years? Who were they kidding?

Depends whether you want to make money or emigrate I suppose, brutal as that sounds, and on the mortgage of course as I am sure you won't want to be in negative equity.

Caroline
House was slightly cheaper than normal as it was a 'shell' when we bought it. No flooring at all in whole house.....concrete floors...nice. No tiles on the kitchen or bathroom floors/walls etc. Garden was a pile of rubble!!!
We have had to make it into a home, plus we've had planning permission and put a huge shed in the garden and a brick wall around it.
EAs said we should have easily walked away with 185,000......but obviously not taking the housing crash into account.
If we validate and spend £8000, we would have to stay in the UK to make the money back. Wouldn't drop another £8000 off the price though......really couldn't afford to.
Everyones circumstances are different on here........and we know what our limits are.
Beth x x
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:03 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We have found that the cheapest time of year to fly to Perth is the 1st week in Oct!
Our house has been on the market since 28/1/08 & only 1 viewer (who was just nosing!)
Every1 I know said our house would sell no problem, even the neigbours have said we've got the best plot on the estate but its just getting someone thru the door. Nightmare!!!!!!
3 other houses the same style as ours have gone up in the last 3 weeks & are all priced lower than ours :curse:
What do we do? Reduce to try & get a buyer b4 they do or hold out for a couple of months. The only difference in the properties is we have a longer drive, south facing back garden, biggest back garden on estate & its flat (others have really slopeing back gargens that floods when we get a heavy downpore, but a buyer wouldn't know that!)
We have to validate by Jan09 but my OH gets made redundant in June08 which means he will have to look for another job until we can go
Ideally we just wanna sell & go in June but it doesn't look like that gonna happen
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tawkins1
We have found that the cheapest time of year to fly to Perth is the 1st week in Oct!
Our house has been on the market since 28/1/08 & only 1 viewer (who was just nosing!)
Every1 I know said our house would sell no problem, even the neigbours have said we've got the best plot on the estate but its just getting someone thru the door. Nightmare!!!!!!
3 other houses the same style as ours have gone up in the last 3 weeks & are all priced lower than ours :curse:
What do we do? Reduce to try & get a buyer b4 they do or hold out for a couple of months. The only difference in the properties is we have a longer drive, south facing back garden, biggest back garden on estate & its flat (others have really slopeing back gargens that floods when we get a heavy downpore, but a buyer wouldn't know that!)
We have to validate by Jan09 but my OH gets made redundant in June08 which means he will have to look for another job until we can go
Ideally we just wanna sell & go in June but it doesn't look like that gonna happen
with you on that, my OH has also got made redundant and finishes on 9th may, so is currently looking for another job here
would be soooo much easier to have sold the house and be able to go!!!!!
pain in the bum hey

lisa
Old Apr 6th 2008, 4:59 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elaine & Nigel
Hi All

We were in the same boat, had to validate visa before 4th April. Put house on the market last july got an offer in december but in the chain.

Just back from validating the visa and I have to say even tho we're in more debt now it was worth it. Put hubbys mind at rest that there is plenty of jobs for him as a baker and the house's we looked at are affordable.

We went for 3 wks flew with Eithad airlines which we're very good, stayed in Brisbane for 2 nights then rented a camper for 2 wks headed up the sunshine coast, then back to Brisbane for 3 nights before the flight home.

Was hoping that the ppl buying ours would have had an offer but no such luck, at least now the pressure is off and we know as soon as the contract is signed and the money in the bank we can go.

Elaine
hi elaine, we are heading to the sunshine coast and fly out on 3.6.8. like you we are having to validate without selling the house, I was just wondering what you thought of the SC - any tips on where to stay - how much was the camper, we are trying to keep the cost of everything down. thanks bec
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:25 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beth - I know this might seem dim, but since you've already got your Court Order, do you really have to go to Tas? I mean, it isn't as if you have to "prove" anything now honey & it's going to cost you an arm & a leg

We've decided the only thing we can do with our girls is to do a holiday - we're going with Austravel & it's costing us £4900 for flights & we're doing a bit of a tour - London-Sydney/Sydney-Brisbane/Car hire 2 weeks to drive to Cairns/fly Cairns-Melbourne/Melbourne-London. All the flights are included. It's 3 adults, 1 child & we'll sort our own accommodation out on the way.

We're going on 8th August, but if you've got a bit of flexibility, try looking up departures on Tues/Weds because they can sometimes be a couple of hundred pounds each cheaper - it all adds up!

Best of luck honey, feeling for you here
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:24 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Hi Beth - I know this might seem dim, but since you've already got your Court Order, do you really have to go to Tas? I mean, it isn't as if you have to "prove" anything now honey & it's going to cost you an arm & a leg

We've decided the only thing we can do with our girls is to do a holiday - we're going with Austravel & it's costing us £4900 for flights & we're doing a bit of a tour - London-Sydney/Sydney-Brisbane/Car hire 2 weeks to drive to Cairns/fly Cairns-Melbourne/Melbourne-London. All the flights are included. It's 3 adults, 1 child & we'll sort our own accommodation out on the way.

We're going on 8th August, but if you've got a bit of flexibility, try looking up departures on Tues/Weds because they can sometimes be a couple of hundred pounds each cheaper - it all adds up!

Best of luck honey, feeling for you here
Yeah you're right........it's finally over. Can't do this any more.
Hope a mod can de-activate my account as I can't figure out how to.
Good luck to you all though.
Beth x x
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:29 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you're right........it's finally over. Can't do this any more.
Hope a mod can de-activate my account as I can't figure out how to.
Good luck to you all though.
Beth x x
BETH!!!

That's not what I meant - I meant, because you don't have to demonstrate to a Court that you have made sound arrangements for the RFTJ, you can go where you like to validate your Visa, you don't have to go to Tas, you can just go wherever is cheapest!

Silly moo! (That's me AND you!) Come back - I can't pm you
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:12 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Beth if you are reading this can I ask are you looking at buying flights to Tas from the UK?? if so you will be paying a lot more than booking them here. You can get a return flight to Tas from Melbourne for about 80 quid, cheaper if you look out for specials look on Webjet, Virginblue, jetstar, iwantthatflight .

the other way to save a bit of money is to just get the cheapest flight to anywhere in Oz you only have to enter the country to validate, we had to come validate because house hadnt sold, flew with malaysia got a free flight to Penang included, a hotel for next to nothing and just had a few days in Oz.

yep it would be nice to see where you are going to be living but really 2 weeks isnt going to help make any decisions, it'll just be like a holiday.

and for all those trying to sell I know what a nightmare it is, I never thought I'd see the day when we would be writing from this side of the pond. it took us 18 months to sell looking back I should have just got on with life like my partner did easier said than done I know.

and Beth hope you are not deleting your account, its times when your feeling like this that this site can really help.

Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

HI Beth

Don't know if you'll read this but sending big hugs, honey

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.