Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where NOT to park the car at night.

Where NOT to park the car at night.

Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where NOT to park the car at night.

I wouldn't park my car at night at Murdoch Park 'n' Ride. 3 cars were set alight there one night!! And then there's about at least 10 other suburbs, including the one I work with, where I'm even glad I now have a parking spot inside the gate(cars have been broken into during the day!)

Kala, you should do it I bought the 'Perth Woman" magazine once, and it had an article in it about women firefighters in Perth.
Once we live in an outer suburb, I hope to get motivated enough to contribute in some way too, preferrably fire fighting, but I'd have to get fitter, and I've never been able to get fit before.
At the moment we live smack bang in the middle of the city, so it doesn't seem logical at the moment.
Good onya Renth(and Badge of course), and good luck
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A report by the Insurer AAMI has stated these ares as the ones that people tend to avoid parking the car in at night.

The top suburbs people say they avoid parking in at night, are:

Sydney: Inner South (Redfern, Waterloo, Newtown)
Melbourne: City Centre
Brisbane: Woodridge
Adelaide: Northern Suburbs (Elizabeth, Salisbury)

The national figures exclude Western Australia, as AAMI does not operate there.

49 per cent of drivers have an immobiliser on their vehicle, and 1 in 5 Australians said they don't always lock their car when they leave it.

Two-thirds (65%) don't pay attention to car alarms anymore because they go off accidentally.

I have left my car in Redfern loads of times and never had a thing go wrong at all....all been perfectly fine...Just like anywhere in the world if you leave things on view then you will attract people, and just like anywhere in the world sometimes it just happens...
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I have left my car in Redfern loads of times and never had a thing go wrong at all....all been perfectly fine...Just like anywhere in the world if you leave things on view then you will attract people, and just like anywhere in the world sometimes it just happens...
A colleagues wife was driving through Redfern and someone tried snatching her bag through the window. Driving through Woolloomooloo onto the harbour bridge is another snatch point. The problem with Wooloomooloo, Redfern, Surrey Hills and Newtown is the number of smackheads who nick cars to feed their habit.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
A colleagues wife was driving through Redfern and someone tried snatching her bag through the window. Driving through Woolloomooloo onto the harbour bridge is another snatch point. The problem with Wooloomooloo, Redfern, Surrey Hills and Newtown is the number of smackheads who nick cars to feed their habit.
must be a lucky gal then me!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
You saw the first one. I have now got a new one with all the bits, it fits- that first one was too small and too old. Was embarassing.

I also have a decent jacket now. Even you know who had a bit of an admiring glance the other day I couldn't help notice.

Badge
I don't know about Victoria, but in WA after 2 years you get a decent "dress" uniform - with a smart blue shirt with FESA badges and even epaulettes. This is what my Mrs is looking forward to - not the baggy yellow safety geat you wear when you are on the job.

There are a few women fireys at my place and they appear to be treated as equals and with the same respect as the blokes i.e. they get the piss taken out of them like everyone else.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:07 am
Badge

Originally Posted by renth
I don't know about Victoria, but in WA after 2 years you get a decent "dress" uniform - with a smart blue shirt with FESA badges and even epaulettes. This is what my Mrs is looking forward to - not the baggy yellow safety geat you wear when you are on the job.

There are a few women fireys at my place and they appear to be treated as equals and with the same respect as the blokes i.e. they get the piss taken out of them like everyone else.
jammy sods.