Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where NOT to park the car at night.

Where NOT to park the car at night.

Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:48 am
ABCDiamond

Default Where NOT to park the car at night.

A report by the Insurer AAMI has stated these ares as the ones that people tend to avoid parking the car in at night.

The top suburbs people say they avoid parking in at night, are:

Sydney: Inner South (Redfern, Waterloo, Newtown)
Melbourne: City Centre
Brisbane: Woodridge
Adelaide: Northern Suburbs (Elizabeth, Salisbury)

The national figures exclude Western Australia, as AAMI does not operate there.

49 per cent of drivers have an immobiliser on their vehicle, and 1 in 5 Australians said they don't always lock their car when they leave it.

Two-thirds (65%) don't pay attention to car alarms anymore because they go off accidentally.

Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where NOT to park the car at night.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A report by the Insurer AAMI has stated these ares as the ones that people tend to avoid parking the car in at night.

49 per cent of drivers have an immobiliser on their vehicle, and 1 in 5 Australians said they don't always lock their car when they leave it.

Two-thirds (65%) don't pay attention to car alarms anymore because they go off accidentally.
Thanks ABCD - very useful
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:20 am
Badge

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Thanks ABCD - very useful
I never lock my car at night as it delays me in getting out on a turnout.
Fumbling with keys in lock and all the rest of it.

Badge

Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I never lock my car at night as it delays me in getting out on a turnout.
Fumbling with keys in lock and all the rest of it.

Badge
How quickly do you have to be at the fire brigade HQ? - I reckon it takes me at least 15 minutes unless I break the speed limit.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:34 am
Badge

Originally Posted by renth
How quickly do you have to be at the fire brigade HQ? - I reckon it takes me at least 15 minutes unless I break the speed limit.
I think another brigade is responded as well as support so if not enough drivers or firies get there its not necessarily Good Night Vienna. The best fire I went to was support for another mob.

We have a response time we are expected to do - daytimes are a worry as less people(and drivers) are available although the young lads in the Hardware store often lock up and run over the road.

After the pager goes, it wakes my wife too of course - it takes me 2.5mins to get to the Station - I am often first there, or 2nd/3rd. I am quick out of bed and on the road which helps. I keep my structural jacket and helmet on the passenger seat, and my yellows are in the hallway near by boots.

I am not a driver - although having a HR licence I could drive 'Code 3' - Stay within limits- although frankly I don't want to drive at night as I am on the back trying to get a contact lens in(!).To break speed limits you have to be 'Code 1' - and take a test.

On sunday I was tipped off about a Motor Vehicle Accident and got there long before the call went in to the response centre so got there early and directed traffic until the calvary arrived.

Are you operational yet?

Badge

Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think another brigade is responded as well as support so if not enough drivers or firies get there its not necessarily Good Night Vienna. The best fire I went to was support for another mob.

We have a response time we are expected to do - daytimes are a worry as less people(and drivers) are available although the young lads in the Hardware store often lock up and run over the road.

After the pager goes, it wakes my wife too of course - it takes me 2.5mins to get to the Station - I am often first there, or 2nd/3rd. I am quick out of bed and on the road which helps. I keep my structural jacket and helmet on the passenger seat, and my yellows are in the hallway near by boots.

I am not a driver - although having a HR licence I could drive 'Code 3' - Stay within limits- although frankly I don't want to drive at night as I am on the back trying to get a contact lens in(!).To break speed limits you have to be 'Code 1' - and take a test.

On sunday I was tipped off about a Motor Vehicle Accident and got there long before the call went in to the response centre so got there early and directed traffic until the calvary arrived.

Are you operational yet?

Badge
Sounds great. I've been to 4 meetings and would have been picking up my certificate last night if I hadn't gone up to Exmouth during the school holidays, which was when they ran their last training.

The next training session for newbies is in August, so I reckon after my 20 hours of proscribed burning I will be ready for the "firefront" next season.

I'm really looking forward to it, you know - a bit of excitement, doing something worthwhile, working as a team - the sort of things I don't really get at work.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:52 am
Badge

Sounds great. I've been to 4 meetings and would have been picking up my certificate last night if I hadn't gone up to Exmouth during the school holidays, which was when they ran their last training.

The next training session for newbies is in August, so I reckon after my 20 hours of proscribed burning I will be ready for the "firefront" next season.

I'm really looking forward to it, you know - a bit of excitement, doing something worthwhile, working as a team - the sort of things I don't really get at work.
bloody oath - this is another reason I love this country and this village. I love doing something so important or real without so much commitment it takes over your life all the time like a copper or a soldier. Often we get to go places on people's properties noone ever sees and the cameradie is great - reccommend for any bloke or women missing the pub etc. Most stations have "choir practise" - late night drinks at the stn - light beer of course(!)

its worth it for the admiring glances you get from the Missus when you're wearing the gear too.

badge

Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:59 am
(It's not my real name)

its worth it for the admiring glances you get from the Missus when you're wearing the gear too.

badge
That's what my Mrs has said she is looking forward to - seeing me in the fireman's uniform.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:05 am
Badge

That's what my Mrs has said she is looking forward to - seeing me in the fireman's uniform.
I found that sometimes you get a 2nd hand one to start with - and you often have to beg, borrow or steal another...one bloke said it was like dead man's shoes etc. I was able to get a good one eventually although you get the decent stuff after the courses. lol.

Can't work out why women like firies uniforms to be honest - baggy and ill-fitting...(if you see what I mean - not that its the wrong size) beats me??!

badge

Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:27 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I found that sometimes you get a 2nd hand one to start with - and you often have to beg, borrow or steal another...one bloke said it was like dead man's shoes etc. I was able to get a good one eventually although you get the decent stuff after the courses. lol.

Can't work out why women like firies uniforms to be honest - baggy and ill-fitting...(if you see what I mean - not that its the wrong size) beats me??!

badge
Do many girlie's do this, I'd love to but a bit concerned that there might be a crappy attitude towards girls.

As for cars, people here don't lock there cars and they leave the ashtray open and nothing worth nicking in the car. that way if people want to get in and have a look through the car they don't break the window saving you having to get it fixed.

I thought they were all mad at 1st but see the logic now.

In WA all cars have to be sold with an immobilizer (or so I believe)

Kala
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you operational yet?

Badge
Were the calvary cross when they arrived?

Seriously, thanks to people like Badge we can rest a little easier in our beds at night.

OzTennis
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:44 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
they leave the ashtray open
Kala
Why?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:54 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seang
Why?
So the would be robbers can see there is no money in there to nick

Kala
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:57 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
So the would be robbers can see there is no money in there to nick

Kala
Ah ok am with you now.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I would imagine the people of the suburb of Inala must be aghast and upset that they are not the top of the list in Brisbane. Too be outdone by Woodridge.....what is the world coming too!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.