Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Melbourne?

Where to live in Melbourne?

Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:38 am
Just Joined

mummyclark79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Melbourne?

Hi, we're planning on moving to Melbourne sometime this year(once we've sold our house!). My husband is an accountant so will probably be working in the CBD,he really wants a commute of less than an hour.We've looked at Aspendale,Chelsea ,Edithvale and Pattersons lakes,any opinions of these areas?We've got three children aged 4 ,3,1 so we'd like to be in the suburbs with good schools.Any suggestions would be greatly received?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Clair
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:32 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by mummyclark79
Hi, we're planning on moving to Melbourne sometime this year(once we've sold our house!). My husband is an accountant so will probably be working in the CBD,he really wants a commute of less than an hour.We've looked at Aspendale,Chelsea ,Edithvale and Pattersons lakes,any opinions of these areas?We've got three children aged 4 ,3,1 so we'd like to be in the suburbs with good schools.Any suggestions would be greatly received?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Clair
What about mckinnon? closer too town and very highly rated public schools.

What area of accounting or industry specific would your hubby be looking? As he may not necessarily need to work in CBD - there are business park areas outside.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Edithvale for 11 years before moving to the Mornington Peninsula and we liked living there. It was good we could take the children to the beach and my husband worked 10 minutes away. I have a friend who lives right on the beachfront there out her back gate onto the beach and its a nice life.

There is the beach side which is very pricey and then the otherside of the railway line which is affordable. This area is very old area with a lot of older houses, its on the Frankston train line. Only problem these days is getting on the train by the time it gets to Edithvale these days its full and oh would have to stand all the way to the city.

You could also look at Mordialloc, Parkdale, Cheltenham, and then its really into pricey country as you get nearer to the city. Depends what your budget is.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I used to live in Patterson Lakes, it's where they film Kath & Kim. It's a nice safe area, we enjoyed our time there. It's a nightmare to travel to the city by car though, so we moved in the end (we both need cars for work). We live Eltham way now and prefer it, it's great for families and there are fanstastic schools out this way. Good luck!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

mummyclark79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies. My husband works in investment banking and is hoping to stay within this area,however,as most of the main banking happens in Sydney he may obviously need to change direction.We were hoping to live near the coast but it does seem pricey,so may have to look inland-all opinions all really welcomed.

Many thanks clair
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mummyclark79
Thank you for the replies. My husband works in investment banking and is hoping to stay within this area,however,as most of the main banking happens in Sydney he may obviously need to change direction.We were hoping to live near the coast but it does seem pricey,so may have to look inland-all opinions all really welcomed.

Many thanks clair
We live in Mordialloc. I commute to the city, it's about an hour by train or 35 mins driving. It's a lovely family suburb with a great beach and pier and a lovely creek with a boat harbour which reminds me a bit of a cornish fishing village. As with most Bayside beaches you get a beautiful sunset into the sea which I love.

I would say the only downside of Mordialloc in particular is the hoards of daytrippers in the summer but this is bound to happen anywhere with a nice beach and facilities. In fact in Aspendale you avoid this to a greater extent as the beach there has no "facilities" so the daytrippers stay away. By facilities I mean food, drink, toilets, playground, BBQs etc, all of which Mordialloc has.

As far as banking goes, I know little of investment banking but the HQs of the retail banks are equally divided between Melbourne and Sydney, in Melbourne ANZ and NAB, in Sydney CBA and Westpac. We chose Melbourne over Sydney easily as in Melbourne we could afford to live within walking distance of the beach and commuting distance of the CBD. In Sydney we couldn't afford that.

Hope that helps.

Buzzy