Where to live??

Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Jacqueline10 will become famous soon enoughJacqueline10 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to live??

I have a link that gives a 'an overview' of Australian Cities..

http://www.livingin-australia.com/living-in-perth.htm

Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

MELJ is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had a quick assessment done and apparently we fall short on points so we need to secure a job first which will also speed up the process. Ive registered with a couple of websites and there seems quite alot that would suit me fine but its just the other half with wanting to work for the police.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jacqueline
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

kates is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you want from the place you choose to live? A sense of community, predictable weather, job/career opportunities, good schools, lifestyle (beach versus bush), sports etc. We live in Healesville, Vic and have variable weather but a fabulous community...
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Kate,
I will be looking for something that is close to the city but a good area for schools and bringing up the kids. The idea is to move to a nicer climate so good weather would be great. But to be honest any improvement on the British weather is good! Being too far out might be a bit too much of a culture shock but maybe worth considering when we have been there for a while. I know Sydney will be expensive to live in but somewhere with a bit of lifestyle (for the shopping and eating out) but still livable is what we want. I may sound hard to please but we are going into this without knowing the country very well so any help and advice whether it be good or bad is truely appreciated
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:27 am
Just Joined

kates is an unknown quantity at this point

I am biased because I love Melbourne and Victoria, but it is a great city and state. We lived in Staffordshire, London and West Sussex before coming here (OH is Australian, I'm English) and I reckon we have everything we need here. A 20 min drive from big shops but in the centre of the Yarra Valley with great local shops and cafes and 'culture'. Our kids love their life here, and if you are into sport that is a big bonus, a great way to meet people. Only thing missing is a beach, it's 90 minutes away....
The climate is good....not too predictable and spring and autumn are stunning.....
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

To be different I'll punt for Tas although I live in Melbourne.

At the bottom of the page there are links to Travel SA, NSW and VIC.

http://www.traveltasmania.com.au/

The VIC one is really good because you get pictures of the places.

See why kates is happy with Healsville. http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/healesville/

To start the fight: Melbourne is way better than Sydney.

Ian

EDIT: two more sites http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a and http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/default.aspx.

Sorry, from B'head couldn't resist the second one.

EDIT1: Let's stop messing around. Come to Victoria because we are the best. http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action

You don't need points with with State sponsorship but must meet basic requirements.
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Jun 25th 2008 at 10:59 am.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:45 am
Just Joined

I suppose living so far away from a beach gives you a good excuse to have a day out with the family. We are not far from the river mersey but that isn't exactly glamorous! Also with working no doubt full time, we may not have much time to appreciate the beach being so close. I have read different profiles on Melbourne and it does look like it more home from home.Our daughter will be 6 going on 7 when we look to go so I think she should be fine. What are the homes like? We will no doubt rent for the first year then look into buying once we have our bearings
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELJ
I suppose living so far away from a beach gives you a good excuse to have a day out with the family. We are not far from the river mersey but that isn't exactly glamorous! Also with working no doubt full time, we may not have much time to appreciate the beach being so close. I have read different profiles on Melbourne and it does look like it more home from home.Our daughter will be 6 going on 7 when we look to go so I think she should be fine. What are the homes like? We will no doubt rent for the first year then look into buying once we have our bearings
Bear in mind that Melbourne has a massive underworld gang problem and violent shootings are the norm! Its even been on TV!!! lol If you want a place to stay there ask for a lady (ahem) called Roberta Williams and she can help!

What you will find Mel is that, just like the UK, we all have our preference for where we live. There is no way I am going to say Sydney is rubbish if it is where I have chosen to live, well, where my company has chosen to be is probably more accurate! They all have their good and bad points...except Manly, its fantastic!!! Here is our home town web site;
http://www.manlyaustralia.com.au/
Enjoy!!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Bear in mind that Melbourne has a massive underworld gang problem and violent shootings are the norm! Its even been on TV!!! lol If you want a place to stay there ask for a lady (ahem) called Roberta Williams and she can help!
Only really a problem if you are in an underworld gang yourself - I've chosen not to be

In The Basin, where I live, there are only overground gangs ..........

of cockatoos....
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MELJ
There is almost every type of house and suburb/village location you could think of. New build, established, town houses, semi-rural.... all within 45 min of the city. Check out realestate.com.au.

For us, Melbourne & Victoria fitted our criteria and we have not been disappointed. We are 45 mins out of the city, 45 mins from bay beaches (both quicker once the East Link opens this month), 20 mins to lake, 5 mins to National Park, 2 and a bit hours to ski slopes.