Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go to? Cairns? Brisbane? Perth?

Originally Posted by Indibaby
"What Australia really needs is heaps of more immigrants to fill the place up, so all places are vibey and brimming with life."

If you don't want more immigrants or to advise people on emigrating then why comment?
I don't use forums much & some of the replies on here remind me why.

Many thanks to those who have provided useful & informative answers.
Not quite sure what you were expecting

You have actually been given some very good advice.

As for the comment about some places needing more immigrants I think that was pretty serious......A lot of Country Australian towns are pretty dead....everything closes before 8.0pm as everyone gets to bed.....there is a Good reason why most people want to live in the cities......also a good reasons why there are widespread drug problems in rural towns and why the youngsters bugger off as soon as they are able

You need to be very realistic about what it is that you are looking for.....don't go getting shirty when people give you good advice.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

"What Australia really needs is heaps of more immigrants to fill the place up, so all places are vibey and brimming with life."

If you don't want more immigrants or to advise people on emigrating then why comment?

Many thanks to those who have provided useful & informative answers.
Please don't take offense. It was tongue in cheek and I wasn't quoting you directly, but Pollyana.

My family and I are also immigrants, as are most people on here. There is a space for everyone in Australia, your family included. I also provided information for you.

And please, if you are going to quote me, then quote me in full and in context.

Thank you.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good advice in the thread, some of it a bit gritty but you have to remember 2 lots of people are discussing the same topic.

Say its the weather, someone from the UK thinks Australia, great for roof tilers, sunny warm idyllic paradise! compared to this rainy drizzly dump.

Someone in Australia knowing from experience the harsh reality of summer and with summer just round the corner.. is going oh not not roof tiler wouldn't catch me doing that, hotter than hell.

Just different experiences thats all.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Indibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to all

So it's ok for you to emigrate but not others? Pot kettle black springs to mind here. 11 years ago you were possibly asking the same questions me & lots of others ask.
I joined this forum to get advice on different areas. Not to be told the obvious "go where you can get a job" That goes without saying. The work is available in different areas, that is why I want to gather more info on those areas, so we can make an informed choice.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not quite sure what you were expecting

You have actually been given some very good advice.

As for the comment about some places needing more immigrants I think that was pretty serious......A lot of Country Australian towns are pretty dead....everything closes before 8.0pm as everyone gets to bed.....there is a Good reason why most people want to live in the cities......also a good reasons why there are widespread drug problems in rural towns and why the youngsters bugger off as soon as they are able

You need to be very realistic about what it is that you are looking for.....don't go getting shirty when people give you good advice.
I agree.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So it's ok for you to emigrate but not others? Pot kettle black springs to mind here. 11 years ago you were possibly asking the same questions me & lots of others ask.
I joined this forum to get advice on different areas. Not to be told the obvious "go where you can get a job" That goes without saying. The work is available in different areas, that is why I want to gather more info on those areas, so we can make an informed choice.
Have you got the visa sorted? If you are going down the state sponsored route (I think I saw SA mentioned) then that may rule out some areas initially, although you may well find a rental for $300 week in SA
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, not at all. We are all free to emigrate and everyone here will give you advice, some good, and some not so good, but you will get a variety of answers with which to decide upon.

It is probably best not to ask too many questions all at once in a general way. That's why you may receive abrupt or negative responses, as others will try and point out the most important things you need to consider first.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:01 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Darwin and get it over with
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Who o earth is that aimed at? None of us have said its not ok for you to emigrate!
On the contrary, people are trying to help you work out the best place to emigrate to, and we can only do that based on our own experiences here. Personally I wish I'd taken more notice of threads like this before my own move, but thats all water under the bridge (or dry dust under the bridge, as many rivers here are dried out!)
The info you are getting on different areas is really valuable. There have been lots of other threads like yours in the past, with snippets of info from people living in country towns, beach towns, the cities....have a browse and a read and you will start to get a feel of what life is like in the different Aussie communities. And you do need to weigh up the work option - its not a job that sits well in hot and humid conditions - hence suggestions of NSW rather than Cairns.
Its all very different from back home, that much I can promise you.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:19 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

15 been here over 15 yrs and we are not against migrants, just simply correcting the fact people seem to get from TV or friends who have been in Oz several years ago. So we offer current FACTS, but if it's not what you'd like to hear, no need to get narky...

First of all in my years here, apart from 2yrs somewhere in the middle of that time, I've stuck to smaller towns and for us it's perfect. But even with that, I could not find a rental for less than $450 in our area unless it was a very undesired house or house on the market where you are stuck with home opens and constant viewings, trust me, not what you want to live in.

Second thing about your hubby's work, I've watched our next door building their house for months now and the roof has been the biggest issue in the last month as cyclonic winds, constant storms makes it impossible to work, quite sure most of the work as sub contractors or self employed so no pay when no work...

I hope you find what you are looking for, sort out visa first, be prepared and you'll do ok. As others have said, climate matters hugely in regards to your hubby's work, when it's +45 it's in shade, out on a roof it's more like +60c...
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I joined this forum to get advice on different areas. Not to be told the obvious "go where you can get a job" That goes without saying. The work is available in different areas.
how do you really know that?

SEEK is notoriously unreliable as many adverts are from agencies simply wanting to fill their books.....many of the jobs are not real.

Many have found this out too late.

The advice you have been given is good.....find a job then get advice on the area.......jobs are not as easy to come by as you think.....and you need a visa

The whole idea is pie in the sky unless you can actually get a visa
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

So you think being told to go where jobs are is bad advice, but you expect to get reasonable responses to dim-witted questions along the lines of "where is best for schools". Australia is the size of Europe, what would you think if someone came along and asked where in Europe is "best for schools".

You have had plenty of good and realistic advice on this thread, but the trouble is you only want to hear about dolphins and koala bears I think.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Indibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to allIndibaby is a name known to all

Ok. I do appreciate the advice that has been given.
My perception of some of the replies may have been wrong, but came across as narky, which doesn't help anyone & takes things off topic.
I admittedly have lots of research to do.
This forum was one of the first expat ones I used, perhaps I should've done more research before posting on here.
We would only move somewhere that work is available for us, I had been looking on seek, as suggested by others, but perhaps I need to look elsewhere if it's not as reputable as some would suggest.
I will also start looking at more southern areas.
Thanks again & sorry if I've came across as arsey, it's a stressful thing this preparing to emigrate, as you'll all know.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I do appreciate the advice that has been given.
My perception of some of the replies may have been wrong, but came across as narky, which doesn't help anyone & takes things off topic.
I admittedly have lots of research to do.
This forum was one of the first expat ones I used, perhaps I should've done more research before posting on here.
We would only move somewhere that work is available for us, I had been looking on seek, as suggested by others, but perhaps I need to look elsewhere if it's not as reputable as some would suggest.
I will also start looking at more southern areas.
Thanks again & sorry if I've came across as arsey, it's a stressful thing this preparing to emigrate, as you'll all know.
First things first would be the visa - if OH is main applicant (I assume roof tiler as it's on the CSOL) can he pass the skills assessment and points test with sponsorship?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I see the first post says 'good weather year round' - to many people that rules out Cairns - very hot and humid, especially for working outside - and then with what can be a horrendous wet season with a few cyclones thrown in.
On a positive side he could get blown off in more ways than one !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.