Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where is everyone going and Why?

View Poll Results: Where is everyone off to - help me decide PM me and tell me why
Perth
24.06%
Adelaide
18.05%
Melbourne
19.55%
Canberra
1.50%
Sydney
5.26%
Brisbane
22.56%
other
9.02%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Where is everyone going and Why?

Old Apr 27th 2003, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where is everyone going and Why?

Originally posted by Boomerang
DEAR JAYKAY

Please tell us - You say you have lived in several States - what did you like about each of them.

Also if you did not have family in Melbourne would you settle somewhere else.

please get back to me.

Lisa
Hi Lisa

Sorry for not responding, just saw this thread

I absolutely loved living on the Gold Coast (Carrara) as the weather was almost perfect, there was always something to do, and the fact that I'm a sun worshipper and a bit of a gambler probably helped too.

Brisbane I lived in Redland Bay, which was a quiet little place so usually had to drive up to Brisbane or down to the Gold Coast for something to do. Lots of mozzies there.

I lived in Canberra for about 4 months. It was freezing cold (after moving from Gold Coast) middle of winter and it snowed!! I liked the fact that Canberra is very clean and there was plenty of work available (even got temp work at Parliament House) and also there was alot of new housing going up, but as we didn't know anyone there, I found it a bit lonely and ended up eating and drinking more than I should have!!

Adelaide was where my parents lived for a while so I stayed there quite a lot. I found the place to be very flat and quite brown, but they lived close to the wineries, so there was always the opportunity of taking a tour.

Lived most of my time in Melbourne, which is where I'm moving back to. I found it to be the most comfortable place to live whether it be for nightlife etc or for kids entertainment. Easy to get around as public transport is brilliant and most of the main roads are either 2 or 3 lanes wide. I think also the fact that most of my family live there probably accounts for my favouritism towards Melbourne as well. I also like the fact that there are 4 seasons and as I ski and love the sun, it takes all that in.

Hope this helps you a bit Lisa.

Regards
Old Apr 27th 2003, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

gold coast, actually anywhere between kingscliffe nsw up to palm beach qld. have abrother who has lived in melbourne for 9 years and recently moved to northern beaches area of sydney, but we prefer the gold coast, laid back attitude, quieter but plenty of sports, social clubs and rivers for fishing. also property prices of course. we will be either building a house to sell or renovating as alan is a builder. we have booked two weeks accomodation at terranora lakes from oct 4th so that is when we can begin our new life!
karen
Old Apr 27th 2003, 5:03 pm
WBB

Perth 22 23.91%
Adelaide 17 18.48%
Melbourne 16 17.39%
Canberra 1 1.09%
Sydney 6 6.52%
Brisbane 23 25.00%
other 7 7.61%

we are going to brisbane because when we visited australia it seemed like the kind of place we would like to live, it's a cosmopolitan city with affordable housing and a nice warm climate

Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:46 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Adelaide (Hills)

Because it's time for a change.

I'm not knocking the UK - it's still got a lot going for it but the parts that I like are getting too crowded and I'm starting to develop rust!

Adelaide feels right. There are jobs, I can afford a few acres without having to win the lottery and it's got the closest to a drinkable beer (Coopers dark) in oz.

Go Crows!

Perry
Old Apr 28th 2003, 1:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Perth.
Because I've lived in Perth and WA and I've got friends there.
We would choose a smaller town, more in the country, but because of our work we're gonna start in Perth. Maybe later somewhere in the south west.

We're not going to Sydney or Melbourne, NSW/VIC because it's to0 crowded and to0 cold in winter.
QLD is too humid and hot in the summer. Same with NT and less job oppertunities.
SA would be alright, but I've lived in Perth/WA before, and I have friends there, so... yeah, Perth!
And of course Perth is just lovely, clean, near nice beaches, lovely hills.
I guess the CBD is alright but that's no reason. King's Park is lovely.
Fremantle is great! Would love to live there, but a bit too expensive, I think.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

We are thinking of Perth - its laid back, has amazing beaches, cheaper houses (at least cheaper than Sydney and possibly Melbourne) and lots of sunshine!!

Rizalan
Old Apr 28th 2003, 3:12 pm
woodsy

well hopefully taking my little tribe to Adelaide parlty due to my partner having family there and apparently the schools are pretty good, weather is like the med so it'll be just right and as SINDY pointed :scared: less beasties and has Hazel & Andy pointed out there looking for sparks.

there you go.

Old Apr 28th 2003, 4:25 pm
kernowjmh23

Perth for us cos we've family there, but also in South Africa and it's an uncomplicated journey from there...
Of course the weather, but the 'big town' atmosphere appeals, too - especially after living in Cornwall - Sydney & Melbourne just too full on...
The southwest is very beautiful and unspoilt - and everywhere else really is just a Virgin Blue flight away!

Old Apr 28th 2003, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Therese is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: where is everyone going and why

Well we have just recieved our visas and when the house is sold we are off to Sydney as my husband has lived there and has loads of cousins living in Sydney, I have a friend there as well. We also have family on the Gold coast and friends in Perth so will have trips out there to see where the best place to settle is. I think Sydney has it all for our teenage family. Queensland too laid back and not much work for my Bricklayer husband. Perth too far away from the family for my liking. Adelaide too small and nothing much happening, Melbourne very cosmopolitan. So Sydney here we come at long last!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:20 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Thanx

Thanx to everyone who has responded to the thread

Its been so helpful looking at everyones views.

Keep em coming!!!!!!!!

:PARTY:
Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:10 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default hiya

no one has voted for ages.........

so for anyone new or not voted yet here is your chance to do so

Love Lisa
X X X
Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going to New Zealand - Dunedin, (right down at the bottom).

Why? 'cos my wife says so!

Gra...
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to Rockhampton, my partner got a job offer there (Radiographer), me, experience in the meat trade, great climate, cheap houses, probably live in Yepoon. Booking flights today 23-24 June.

Cheers
Gary
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 8:39 pm
Quiet one in the corner

kendra1 is on a distinguished road

were off to adelaide mainly because of family
but also we fell in love with the place when we visited
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kentcoast
Adelaide (Hills)

Because it's time for a change.

I'm not knocking the UK - it's still got a lot going for it but the parts that I like are getting too crowded and I'm starting to develop rust!

Adelaide feels right. There are jobs, I can afford a few acres without having to win the lottery and it's got the closest to a drinkable beer (Coopers dark) in oz.

Go Crows!

Perry
Hi Perry - can't remember if it was you who said you were sending your kids to Trinity School, Gawler or not. Anyways my sister is going over to Adelaide for a week in a couple of days - sort out bits on bobs on the house being built. Anyways she told me this school was full up as she wanted to send her kids there. Seems like the good schools around there are full. How is your research going.

Elaine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.