Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Old May 12th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Originally Posted by Deancm
Well look at what happened to the Aussie accent when Italian/Greek Europeans arrived. The only accent worse than an Aussie bogan accent is an Aussie wog accent...
Dont get me started on Aussie hip hop music.
Old May 12th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How did the scouse accent come about, thats what I want to know. [/QUOTE]

A bit of Welsh + a bit of Irish + a bit of Lancashire = Scouse............apparently!
I guess being a major seaport all those years ago must have brought them altogether.
Old May 12th 2010, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
A bit of Welsh + a bit of Irish + a bit of Lancashire = Scouse............apparently!
I guess being a major seaport all those years ago must have brought them altogether.
There's a lot of similarities between the Scouse and Mancunian accent.
Old May 12th 2010, 1:03 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think the same when I hear thick-ass Midlands, Manchester, Welsh accents. Really magnified.
bit superior of yourself what crap accent have you got, and what gives you the right to slag anyone else off, its people like you i wanted to move away from but more and more appear
Old May 12th 2010, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Lower orders hey what happened to OZ having no class system.

As you say, the professional orders ( of brisbane and melb ) have to modify the 'common' version of the aussie accent, can you actually imagine being taken serioulsy as a Lawyer or Consultant with a Hogan twang.

The lower orders as you put it, exist in melbourne too, have you ever been to a sporting event down there Just as bad as Queensland.

Aussies also tend to do the aussie twang more when with others, can remember partner in the states, seeing another aussie and they both started speaking in a language unkown to me They go right off, totally OTT aussies all of a sudden My sons dental consultant is the same, to us he is fairly well spoken, no accent, but as soon as some old 'aussie cobber' walks in, he goes into mate/bonza mode.

Hopefully the accent will die out as more migrants arrive.
Interesing. I think that modifying thing shows some sort of 'classless' spirit - there are people in the UK who would never modify their accent. And also there is probably a much wider mid range in Australia.

I know there are poor examples in Melbourne but your story reinforced the really bad [Qld] ones. My point was that it was more of a demographic, not an Australian one. You said the accent was awful - but not all surely. We have a Qld boy down here during some of the week and he has the most raspy voice I have ever heard in professional life in Australia. Maybe Qld is more pronounced! The most badly behaved bloke we had presenting to us who had the girls complaining was also a Qlder...food for thought!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; May 12th 2010 at 3:09 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Having read your last post and sat here odding quietly in agreement with I have to pick you up on this.

Have you spend any time in professional Brisbane circles? Your constant references to Qld accents are not fully correct.

I'd still maintain that a "Modern Professional Australian" accent is a nationwide phenomenon and can be clearly distinguished from the "Rural Australian" ('haaaaaws it gawwwwwn?') and ts close relative "Urban Bogan Australian".

All of these accents occur all over the country as far as I've seen and there are very few people in the business world who havent at least moved away from their 'native' accent towards the more accepted "Modern Australian".

Teenagers always seem to gravitate towards what you refer to as 'lower order' accents - I know as a young teen I would have sounded distinctly esturine - but its a phase most grow out of.
Agree with all the above. It was partly a response to the way Jad portrayed the [QLD] accents which she knows which I think is too negative, and does not serve professional QLDers. I can understand that if there was a pecking order of states, QLD might suffer more than others. Remember a lot of complaints come out of QLD and we have to take people's word for it. I can't really speak for QLD as I don't live there - but Jad does.

Rudd is a QLDer!

Lower orders - injoke..

You're bang on with country - and Urban Bogan of course...
Old May 12th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Well look at what happened to the Aussie accent when Italian/Greek Europeans arrived. The only accent worse than an Aussie bogan accent is an Aussie wog accent...
Be carefull when you mention the word WOG, Some of the mods don't like it especially the ones that have never experianced living here in Oz

John
Old May 12th 2010, 4:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Be carefull when you mention the word WOG, Some of the mods don't like it especially the ones that have never experianced living here in Oz

John
Nothing to do with whether we like it or not. The word, and many others like it, is considered offensive by many of our posters, that is why we ask for its use to be avoided.

And yes, I have been experiencing living here for 7 years, but that has nothing to do with it.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The south african one is pretty awful as well
Wot? <- (silent T)

There are many different S.A. accents. Nice generalization.

Anyway, Oz accent origin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English

Last edited by Alfresco; May 12th 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sadieb
Hi
I spoke to a few Australian historians in Oz (yes they do have them)
I asked where the Australian accent came from and none of them were able to answer.
Most looked really shocked and offended and said we have always spoken like this. !!

Thanks
lol, the good old aussie intellect! Would love to see an aussie mastermind
Old May 12th 2010, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt

John
Well we are in the Australian forum and WOG is used by WOGS to describe themselves in Australia. Just like the word POM is quite acceptable in Australia.

If any overly PC Americans want to say something they should pay a visit to Australia first or keep their comments to themselves.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nothing to do with whether we like it or not. The word, and many others like it, is considered offensive by many of our posters, that is why we ask for its use to be avoided.

And yes, I have been experiencing living here for 7 years, but that has nothing to do with it.
People that are offended by the use of the word need to understand that there are cultural differences in the world and what they may deem as being acceptable may be unacceptable in other cultures and vice versa. These people should stop forcing their cultural beliefs on other people and pay more attention to their own backyard.

As they say, when in Rome...

Some example of popular Melbourne (Australian) culture:

- Wogs Out of Work (Stage comedy show)

- Wog Boy (Movie)

- Wog Boy 2: Kings of Mykonos (Movie sequel)
Old May 12th 2010, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

- Wog Boy (Movie)

- Wog Boy 2: Kings of Mykonos (Movie sequel)
On the radio yesterday Nick Giannopoulos, the writer of the Wog Boy series, said he was really proud the way that he played a part in regaining ownership of the word WOG for the Ethnic Mediterraneans in this country. It can never be used against them again the way it was in the 50's and 60's

Heres an insight the those still in the UK as to what it's all about.... and the accent that goes along with it.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 12th 2010 at 10:32 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
lol, the good old aussie intellect! Would love to see an aussie mastermind
Though I guess thinking one country can have a higher intellect than another might immediately get you put in the stooopid basket by thinking people
Old May 12th 2010, 11:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1974
bit superior of yourself what crap accent have you got, and what gives you the right to slag anyone else off, its people like you i wanted to move away from but more and more appear
Oh well, looks like your life in Australia is not going to be what you wanted it to be - my heart bleeds.
My post was in response to all the attacks on the Austalian accent in this thread - obviously some don't like the Aussie accent. I don't like some UK accents, others I do.

I'm not from the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.