Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Old May 11th 2010, 3:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Originally Posted by sadieb
Did you have an answer to my original question ? or were you just playing tit for tat.
I read recently that 300 years ago, people in London basically spoke like Australians do now. As none of us was around then I doubt whether we will ever know if this is true.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I do - Geordie (especially women), Liverpool, N Irish (women again), some Scottish accents, London.
I like Geordie, Scottish, Irish, Mancurian, Cockney....like all of them my least favourite is the middle class english accent.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:29 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble

How did the scouse accent come about, thats what I want to know.
The smog is to blame.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:32 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind the accent, much less unappealing than seppo ones.

Those who reside down under, can you differentiate between strine accents from the various states?

Just curious.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia

Those who reside down under, can you differentiate between strine accents from the various states?

Just curious.
Some would say yes but I reckon they would get it wrong half the time. Lot more difference between city dwellers, bogans and country folk than between states
Old May 11th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious.

There is a slight difference in accent between the states but not really obvious straightaway IMO.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious.
Only with particular words, especially the oo sound. But as fish says, it's more about country, bogan, city kind of thing.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Do you not understand that it can originate from the English accent without you hearing any English speak like an ozstraylian in England?

BTW there is quite a variation in Australian accents with regards to the amount of nasal and drawl. Is your husband a tradesman?
I am sorry I have read and re read your first sentence and I still can't understand what you are trying to say.

No my husband is not a tradsesman and neither am I and I was asked on a daily basis in QLD whilst I was at work also.

Are you saying that only tradesman say
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaws it gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwn
Old May 11th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Do you not understand that it can originate from the English accent without you hearing any English speak like an ozstraylian in England?

BTW there is quite a variation in Australian accents with regards to the amount of nasal and drawl. Is your husband a tradesman?
The Australian historian said that
"when the convicts were sent from the UK and the free settlers came over that they all spoke with an Australian accent"
I discussed this with him for a while and he was adamant that the Australian accent has never evolved and has always sounded the way it does.

So can anyone tell me does that mean that all the convicts that were deported spoke with Australian accents and all the convicts not deported didn't speak with Australian accents?

The historian I spoke to in Canberra seemed to think so.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

I do - Geordie (especially women), Liverpool, N Irish (women again), some Scottish accents, London.
I see a pattern here and it involves women ha ha
Old May 11th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

I read recently that 300 years ago, people in London basically spoke like Australians do now. As none of us was around then I doubt whether we will ever know if this is true.
So the historian could be right, or perhaps he wrote the article you read,

Right if so when did we in the UK stop speaking Australian?

Also does this mean that all the convicts were from London?

Always knew that Tommy Steele spoke with a dodgy accent
Old May 11th 2010, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Just curious.
No, there is the Australian accent and sometimes you will be unfortunate enough to come across the bogun accent,
You will have to get someone to explain this one to you.

To me it is awful and drawley
Old May 11th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
The Australian historian said that
"when the convicts were sent from the UK and the free settlers came over that they all spoke with an Australian accent"
I discussed this with him for a while and he was adamant that the Australian accent has never evolved and has always sounded the way it does.

So can anyone tell me does that mean that all the convicts that were deported spoke with Australian accents and all the convicts not deported didn't speak with Australian accents?

The historian I spoke to in Canberra seemed to think so.

If you want the truth about Australia, never ask an Australian.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:06 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Someone wrote a book on the subject recently I remember reading about. One of things it mentioned was that when certain words twanged in to an Australia like accent from the British one. Great lengths at school were made to stop the Australian accent from evolving.

QLD and WA have distinctive accepts or essentially a little slower.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:47 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Why do Canadians have pity much the same accent as people from the USA and not their own accent? and where did the American accent come from? the Irish?

Last edited by mohogony; May 11th 2010 at 6:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.