Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Old May 11th 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of
Default Where did the Aussie accent come from?

Hi
I spoke to a few Australian historians in Oz (yes they do have them)
I asked where the Australian accent came from and none of them were able to answer.
Most looked really shocked and offended and said we have always spoken like this. !!

Now I am no historian but as the country was made up of convicts mostly from the UK and from free settlers / immigrants, where did the accent come from.

It is like a rounded nasaly drawl. That's what my ears hear anyway.
Can anyone help

Thanks
Old May 11th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where did the Aussie accent come from?

I think it has evolved from the Landan 'cockney' accent. That's where most of the crims came from that founded the country anyway.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
I think it has evolved from the Landan 'cockney' accent. That's where most of the crims came from that founded the country anyway.
Of course, the two accents are completely identical.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
That's what I've heard, it came from Cockney and then evolved into what it is now.

I think the Aussie accent is horrible, I cringe when I hear it on TV or people around me. It's too slow and nasaly.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
That's what I've heard, it came from Cockney and then evolved into what it is now.

I think the Aussie accent is horrible, I cringe when I hear it on TV or people around me. It's too slow and nasaly.
Its even worse when youre surrounded by Aussies when overseas. Its magnified.

How did the scouse accent come about, thats what I want to know.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I always notice that, you hear it a mile away and think 'oh god they've followed me'. I always get to hear them saying something silly, I was in Dublin a while ago and 'they' were on the bus and one said to the other one 'why are all the street signs in French and English' I felt like slapping them, it's bloody Irish!
Old May 11th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Of course, the two accents are completely identical.
I said evolved, which tends to imply it has changed.

It's an awful accent, very whiney. I cringe every time "Summer" talks on Neighbours. When I'm there I take pleasure in taking the piss out of their accent.

Last edited by xzibit; May 11th 2010 at 2:39 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies,
Glad it's not just me that can't stand it, with it's high pitched endings to words.

One historian told me it came from England and that it has always been the way it is.. Think he was just making that up hmmmm..
I have never heard anyone in the UK speak like an Australian except the people from Oz over here of course.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

I remember when we were moving over to Oz and other half said, Oh! god I hate that accent, I said they won't all sound like that..
We moved to Qld and every day in work he got asked numerous times
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaws it gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwn.

I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown, ha ha
Old May 11th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ive noticed in recent years the Aussie accent (particularly among teenagers), has started to develop a slight American twang to it.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think the same when I hear thick-ass Midlands, Manchester, Welsh accents. Really magnified.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sadieb
I remember when we were moving over to Oz and other half said, Oh! god I hate that accent, I said they won't all sound like that..
We moved to Qld and every day in work he got asked numerous times
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaws it gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwn.

I thought he was going to have a nervous breakdown, ha ha
A mate of mine in England was from Queensland and we'd all piss ourselves laughing when he said 'pool' and 'school' in that true Queensland fashion.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think the same when I hear thick-ass Midlands, Manchester, Welsh accents. Really magnified.
At least you can avoid those places in the UK and not hear those accents, unfortunately in Oz every one has the same nasaly drawl
Hence no escape from that high pitched drawn out accent.

Are there any accents in the UK you do like?
I assume you like your own, although I may be wrong and you may not like that either.

Hopefully you won't get too many foreigners from the UK living near you so can just enjoy the Australian accent.

Did you have an answer to my original question ? or were you just playing tit for tat.
Old May 11th 2010, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,
Glad it's not just me that can't stand it, with it's high pitched endings to words.

One historian told me it came from England and that it has always been the way it is.. Think he was just making that up hmmmm..
I have never heard anyone in the UK speak like an Australian except the people from Oz over here of course.
Do you not understand that it can originate from the English accent without you hearing any English speak like an ozstraylian in England?

BTW there is quite a variation in Australian accents with regards to the amount of nasal and drawl. Is your husband a tradesman?
Old May 11th 2010, 3:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any accents in the UK you do like?
I do - Geordie (especially women), Liverpool, N Irish (women again), some Scottish accents, London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.